++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 19, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #1,651 of 29,490
Hey guys, I know I've posted a million times on this thread, but I am really confused.

I'm currently using some 20 euro SONY earbuds, and I want to buy some good headphones. I will use them at home and on the car so they can be the fugliest thing ever.

I read a couple posts on this forum and I'm considering buying the ATH M50's, my budget is 100 euros, but I guess I cant extend it to 120. :D

I'm gonna use it with an iPod Touch and my PC. I usually listen to indie rock, but there are some exceptions that I'm not going to bother mentioning.

Oh and by the way...I'm a complete newbie, so could you please explain the technical terms (If you use any)...because i'm already confused as it is :D

My english might not be the best, since I'm Portuguese and it's midnight here...

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,652 of 29,490

Quote:
Couple questions i'll bundle all into one. Background: we have a reward program at work, which I did not even know about until recently. Apparently i've been racking in the points and didn't even know it, and I need to spend these points.

I have modded 580's which should be back to be tomorrow. Now, I have not even heard these yet, I sent them off right away, for the upgraded drivers etc from a good friend, so I already have a gaming headset which I will use for music listening periodically also. The catch is that these points expire, so I was looking at buying the k701, and DT 770 / 80. K701 for home use, and 770 for work, planes etc. (I have LOD > E5 > RE0 for daily commute). 

Anyways by budget can handle these two, and the Fiio E7/E9. My reasoning for going with multiple headphones instead of a better one is so I can 1) experience differences, and 2) so I can figure out generally what sound sig best suits my ears.

The reasoning for this is ease. I can leave my 580's at my gaming rig w/ Astro Mixamp, and pre amp w/ E5 if necessary. Portable will stay the same, I can bring E7 with me to work for the DT700's, and at home I have the E9/E7 for whatever I want.

Can I have some opinions? I have only been looking into this briefly, so I'd like opinions from others.

The Beyer Dt770 Pro 80ohm are very comfortable, but they have really heavy bass which is rather "flabby." They are really unbalanced in sound obviously favoring bass heavy tracks. I've not personally used the K701, but from what I understand they can be uncomfortable for some people. The big deterrence from them though is that they are notoriously hard to power correctly. I would read up on how the E7/E9 pairs with the K701 before you purchase them. I would also be sure to read reviews on the K701s as they seem to be loved or hated.

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #1,653 of 29,490

Quote:

The Beyer Dt770 Pro 80ohm are very comfortable, but they have really heavy bass which is rather "flabby." They are really unbalanced in sound obviously favoring bass heavy tracks. I've not personally used the K701, but from what I understand they can be uncomfortable for some people. The big deterrence from them though is that they are notoriously hard to power correctly. I would read up on how the E7/E9 pairs with the K701 before you purchase them. I would also be sure to read reviews on the K701s as they seem to be loved or hated.

Yeah, actually that was my reasoning behind going for the DT700. Wanted something closed, bass heavy, and easy to drive for work. If there are any other phones similar to these that could be recommended, I would love to look at alternatives. As crazy as it sounds, comfort is no issue to me. For a year I used 555's with an xbox mic in my earcup, for my gaming headphones. Imagine how uncomfortable that was, so it seems nothing bothers me. I did remember hearing about the difficulties of driving the K701s, so maybe I should look into that a little more, and I did not know about the love / hate on these headphones, so perhaps some more research is due. Any other suggestions for similar cans? Thanks!

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #1,654 of 29,490
If that's what you want out of the DT770s you shouldn't be disappointed then. When I demoed them I didn't have an amp available, I'd imagine the bass would be a bit tighter with any sort of amp, just avoid bass boost at all costs on the amp. As far as the K701 go, their sound  is rather unique from what I gather and some people just don't like how they sound. If you like what you've read in reviews though then why not try them out? They are definitely highly regarded.

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #1,655 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys, I know I've posted a million times on this thread, but I am really confused.

I'm currently using some 20 euro SONY earbuds, and I want to buy some good headphones. I will use them at home and on the car so they can be the fugliest thing ever.

I read a couple posts on this forum and I'm considering buying the ATH M50's, my budget is 100 euros, but I guess I cant extend it to 120. :D

I'm gonna use it with an iPod Touch and my PC. I usually listen to indie rock, but there are some exceptions that I'm not going to bother mentioning.

Oh and by the way...I'm a complete newbie, so could you please explain the technical terms (If you use any)...because i'm already confused as it is :D

My english might not be the best, since I'm Portuguese and it's midnight here...

Welcome to head-fi. There are some articles/guides on head-fi that will be of interest to you:

Helpful Headphone Buying Guide for Newbies - http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/a-hopefully-helpful-headphone-buying-guide-for-newbies-by-boomana
Describing Sound (A Glossary) - http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/describing-sound-a-glossary

As for headphone recommendation, apart from M50, you should seriously consider Grado SR60, SR80 or Alessandro MS1. They are ugly, but they are some of the better cans that could make listening to rock music fun. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #1,656 of 29,490
Alright, thanks for the clarification of the DT770s there. I was a little worried about loose bass. I guess I will just look into the K701 a bit more, thanks!

Feb 19, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #1,658 of 29,490
Feb 19, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #1,660 of 29,490
Hello, Head-Fi. Long post, trying to be informative. 
tongue.gif

I'm looking for two pairs of circumaural closed cans, for different purposes. I had initially settled on Sennheiser HD448 for both, as they seemed to fit the intended use. However, these are out of stock off- and online, and don't seem to come back. The store I ordered from a month ago told me they'll be in 25th, but that is less trustworthy than marketing material. So I am looking for other phones, and hope you can help me pick some.

Phone 1:

My own daily phones, will be used at the computer >6 hours a day. Budget is around price point of HD448 ($100), can go a bit higher if payoff is significant.

Comfort and low leakage is key here. I use these a lot, and I share a 15 m2 home office with my girlfriend. Sennheiser HD202 currently has this job, but they become uncomfortable after less than an hour (ears are very warm where the pads touch, and gets numb). I am happy with them sound-wise, although I also aim to improve sound quality if possible (I believe it is). I'll also bring these for long train trips (means roomy backpack), so semi-portable cans would be nice.

They will be connected to the computer (onboard audio), and to a Cowon D2 on the go. Usage is 50% movies/games (no mic needed, lonelyplayer only), 50% music (metal, rock). I'd prefer something that doesn't need an amp, since I don't have one, and a decent one would push the budget a lot. Keep in mind that this upgrade is aimed more at comfort than sound, although I don't want to step down on sound quality. 

Reading about them, the HD448 seems quite right. Several people mention that you barely notice having them on, that sounds really good to me, and sound-wise they appear to be a nice improvement. Since HD448 seems to be unavailable, I've looked into the following, which are available:

Sennheiser HD438 (I don't mind the design, and I like the detachable cable. However, the general opinion seems to be "boring", although that could differ depending on user expectations)
-- HD428 (Seems to be repackaged HD448 pretty much (good), although the ridiculously long cable is another problem of HD202 I'd like to get rid of (bad))
Shure SRH440 (My impression after reading is that these are quite clampy. Any opinions on these for several hours at a time?)

Between these, I lean towards HD428 (the long cable hasn't killed me - yet), but I'm unsure of SRH440. I am also open to other suggestions here. 

Phone 2:
Budget is around $100, but preferably lower. These will mostly be used for audio books and other non-musical recordings, so sound quality is no real issue here. Isolation from outside, comfort, and low leakage (in that order) is important. Not used very often, but >10 hours at a time when they're used. Koss UR29 did this job until recently (cable issue, much scratching sound). This happened after 3 years, but they've only been out of the drawer for a month in total in that time. Looking for better build quality here, if possible.

A little clamp is OK (these are not for me), they'll go on a smaller than average head.

I'm thinking that the HD448 might be too big (thinking "barely notice them" means pretty loose fit), but other than buying another UR29 I'm very unsure on this one. Open for suggestions.

Thanks for any and all input. 
smile.gif

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #1,661 of 29,490
After a copious amount of researching and unnerving changes of heart, I've finally come to the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones. I'll be driving them off my Auzentech X-Plosion, and depending on if I decide the cans need it, a PA2V2 headphone amp from Gary. I'm just trying to decide between the Pro 250 ohm and 80 ohm variants. The 250 ohm can be found here, while the 80 ohm version can be found here.

I have no idea which one to choose. I've read an insane amount of Head-Fi threads, and everybody has a ridiculously different opinion. Apparently the PA2V2 is a warm, slightly bassy amp, and the DT770 Pro is a very bassy headphone (At least half the people who own them say so, while the other half say completely otherwise). I'm probably looking for the less-bassy of the two so they combine well with the PA2V2 I'll be getting shortly after the DT770's. 

TL;DR: DT770 80ohm vs DT770 250ohm, probably amped off a PA2V2

Thanks for any input :)

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #1,662 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello, Head-Fi. Long post, trying to be informative. 
tongue.gif

I'm looking for two pairs of circumaural closed cans, for different purposes. I had initially settled on Sennheiser HD448 for both, as they seemed to fit the intended use. However, these are out of stock off- and online, and don't seem to come back. The store I ordered from a month ago told me they'll be in 25th, but that is less trustworthy than marketing material. So I am looking for other phones, and hope you can help me pick some.

Phone 1:

My own daily phones, will be used at the computer >6 hours a day. Budget is around price point of HD448 ($100), can go a bit higher if payoff is significant.

Comfort and low leakage is key here. I use these a lot, and I share a 15 m2 home office with my girlfriend. Sennheiser HD202 currently has this job, but they become uncomfortable after less than an hour (ears are very warm where the pads touch, and gets numb). I am happy with them sound-wise, although I also aim to improve sound quality if possible (I believe it is). I'll also bring these for long train trips (means roomy backpack), so semi-portable cans would be nice.

They will be connected to the computer (onboard audio), and to a Cowon D2 on the go. Usage is 50% movies/games (no mic needed, lonelyplayer only), 50% music (metal, rock). I'd prefer something that doesn't need an amp, since I don't have one, and a decent one would push the budget a lot. Keep in mind that this upgrade is aimed more at comfort than sound, although I don't want to step down on sound quality. 

Reading about them, the HD448 seems quite right. Several people mention that you barely notice having them on, that sounds really good to me, and sound-wise they appear to be a nice improvement. Since HD448 seems to be unavailable, I've looked into the following, which are available:

Sennheiser HD438 (I don't mind the design, and I like the detachable cable. However, the general opinion seems to be "boring", although that could differ depending on user expectations)
-- HD428 (Seems to be repackaged HD448 pretty much (good), although the ridiculously long cable is another problem of HD202 I'd like to get rid of (bad))
Shure SRH440 (My impression after reading is that these are quite clampy. Any opinions on these for several hours at a time?)

Between these, I lean towards HD428 (the long cable hasn't killed me - yet), but I'm unsure of SRH440. I am also open to other suggestions here. 

Phone 2:
Budget is around $100, but preferably lower. These will mostly be used for audio books and other non-musical recordings, so sound quality is no real issue here. Isolation from outside, comfort, and low leakage (in that order) is important. Not used very often, but >10 hours at a time when they're used. Koss UR29 did this job until recently (cable issue, much scratching sound). This happened after 3 years, but they've only been out of the drawer for a month in total in that time. Looking for better build quality here, if possible.

A little clamp is OK (these are not for me), they'll go on a smaller than average head.

I'm thinking that the HD448 might be too big (thinking "barely notice them" means pretty loose fit), but other than buying another UR29 I'm very unsure on this one. Open for suggestions.

Thanks for any and all input. 
smile.gif

If you want strong isolation and zero leakage I'd recommend looking at IEMs and see if you find them comfy.  Personally I find them far better for extended listening sessions than full size 'phones but it all depends on the individual.

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #1,663 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for all the help guys...

There are some helpful people in here :D

I know I should have searched before, but I was getting really confused

No worries. M50 is good entry level headphones as well, and would definitely be more comfortable than the Grado. However, since you know what you like to listen, and do not have the requirement of having a closed-can, Grado would probably be the better route for you. There are other less than $100 cans that are worth a look as well. 

A good place to start will be the insane 67 portable headphone shootout: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-67-portable-headphones-reviewed-beats-by-dre-solo-v-moda-crossfade-added-02-13

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #1,664 of 29,490
hello, you see i am on a very tight budget of 200$ for an AMP and a can. I am 16 now so no credit cards or paypal etc (don't know what mom and dad have against shipping from the US) anyways i have located some dealers in my country who are ready to import cans for me. I have a HD600 on loaned terms and the only can i own is the HD428 the HD600 was given to me by a dealer for a month or so in exchange for me writing reviews for cans he has in stock by giving them a quick listen.

I must agree after joined head-fi i wonder when i can get a job that pays me more that 50$ (i earned those for making DIY-amps for people) DIY has its place but i am running out of time now, my exams are soon to start killing me.

So help me out here please.

Rohan

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #1,665 of 29,490

Quote:
After a copious amount of researching and unnerving changes of heart, I've finally come to the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones.. I'm just trying to decide between the Pro 250 ohm and 80 ohm variants. The 250 ohm can be found here, while the 80 ohm version can be found here.

I have no idea which one to choose

TL;DR: DT770 80ohm vs DT770 250ohm, probably amped off a PA2V2

Thanks for any input :)

+1 for this. Anyone who can offer insight or recently dated threads, would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back