++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 19, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #1,636 of 29,490

Quote:Would you happen to have any UltraSones? I heard they are good too, but a bit uncomfortable.
Sadly I can only personally comment on the Ad900 and the 558 of your list. As I said I've used the D1001 for some time and if the D1100 are indeed heavier in bass than the D1001 then I wouldn't be able to recommend them personally.

In regards to the Senns, I've only tried the 555/558 of the lines. I think the 558s look much nicer than the 555s and have a slightly better build quality, but the sound improvement from the 555->the 558 does not justify the 100% price mark up. If you really want to go with Sennheiser I would recommend the 555s over the 558 simply because the 555s are very similar to the 558 in sound, but the 555s are less than $90, the 558 are $150+.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #1,642 of 29,490
Yo guys

Can someone help me?

I am looking to buy headphones.
I'm looking at some Sennheisers HD558 and I can say I'm impressed. However there is also this Fostex T50RPs that look to be sounding great
 Can someone recommend me some headphones? I mostly listen to trance and electro pop but also some metal here and there. Unfortunately I can't find audio canceling headphones which I would prefer (over the ear) and am willing to spend 120 max.
Can someone tell me more headphones that would be much better than what I have shown?

Thanks peoplz

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #1,643 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi there Head-Fi community,

I need help getting a set headphones. I've been lingering here for a while hoping to do research but can't decide on what to get. I currently use $20 in-ears and a Sony MDR-V600. The V600 have no mid and absolutely no bass which is something I want as well as treble. I first listened to the Dre Beats when it first came out and I thought they were good, bassy but wasn't comparable in my mind to the highs of the V600 because it was too bassy it made everything muddy. Then my friend showed me his AKG K701 in the anime community dubbed "Mio" headphones. They were amazing played everything but they were open back and they were quite uncomfortable and made you look like Lady Gaga if your wearing shades. So now, I am currently looking at AKG K240s, HFI-580, ATH-M50, Sennheiser HD280. The type of music I listen to is Pop, Electronic, Hip-Hop, basically all around headphones that will play the mids and the highs and some bass and definitely not like the Beats or the V600. My budget is not to spend over $200-$250USD. Also, I would like to bring them out and not have them slip off my head if I'm in the process of getting robbed and fending for myself. =] Please help!!!! Thanks in advance! Please excuse my english as it's now almost 2:00am.

If you want something for wearing out, you might want to look at this comprehensive review of portable headphones:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-67-portable-headphones-reviewed-beats-by-dre-solo-v-moda-crossfade-added-02-13#post_5828504
I can't really advise you because I don't own anything that I'd ever wear out, other than iems, but you don't seem to want those.   The top headphone on the list for sound quality is HD25 so you may consider those (they beat the Beats!).  They're tough too so would survive a mugging.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #1,645 of 29,490

Quote:
The bass on the M50s isn't appreciably muddier than most other dynamic headphones, even much more expensive ones.  Their only real weakness is the soundstage which is closed-in compared to more expensive 'phones.

It might be a good idea to try the Solos and see if you'd like more clarity throughout the spectrum and if you think its worth more money for the M50s or something else.

Check out the Graph generator on Headroom.

The Denon D2000s might be worth looking at if they're in your budget in your area.  They've got a similar sound sig to the XB700s but with less bass and more clarity.

The D2000's are just slightly over my 200 pound budget. Is there anything else with a similar sound to the XB700's?

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,646 of 29,490
@halodude23: 
Can't comment on Ultrasones, I've never tried them. There's a few threads regarding them around the forums though.

Quote:
Anyone else? Or should really get the beats?

I've only tried the AKG K240 Monitor version, not the studio so I can't comment on them. The monitor version wouldn't be a good choice for you though as they have a neutral sound, more for analytical listening. The Sennheiser HD280 are decent entry level headphones, but I get the feeling the Ultrasones or the M50's may be a better choice for you. The Ultrasones and M50 seem to be pretty well regarded around here, I would read some of the review threads to see if either of them are what you want.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #1,647 of 29,490

I am in the market for a pair of budget hi-fi headphones ($100).  I listen to a variety of music - everything from acoustic to hip-hop, but mostly rock.  I do not need booming bass, but good bass definition and a little oomph would be nice.  I want detail and clarity.  I like a slightly warm sound, but detail and clarity is really key. 

So, I have identified three possibilities:

1.  Grado sr60i with Sennheiser HD414 pads
2.  Grado sr80i
3.  Sennheiser HD555

I considered the Alessandro MS-1, but I can't get it on Amazon.  I have an Amazon gift card to use on this purchase, so it's got to be available on Amazon.

Any other possibilities I should consider?  I'm a little worried that the Grados will be too harsh, but it sounds like they have great detail in the mid-range, which I want.

My source will be a newish iMac and sometimes an iPhone.  No external amp, at least for now.

As a follow-up question, I can get my hands on an M-Audio USB Audiophile.  Is it worth using that as the output, rather than just sticking with the iMac sound card and amp?  Again, no separate amp involved.

Thank you for your advice!

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #1,648 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I am wondering if anyone could help me choose a headphone. I am new here so I don't know where to look or even what to look for. I listen to trance, metal, alot of electro pop, and alternative rock mostly. I prefer an over the head and over the ear audio canceling headphones and am willing to spend 90-120 dollars on it.

Can someone help me?

Quote:
Yo guys

Can someone help me?

I am looking to buy headphones.
I'm looking at some Sennheisers HD558 and I can say I'm impressed. However there is also this Fostex T50RPs that look to be sounding great
 Can someone recommend me some headphones? I mostly listen to trance and electro pop but also some metal here and there. Unfortunately I can't find audio canceling headphones which I would prefer (over the ear) and am willing to spend 120 max.
Can someone tell me more headphones that would be much better than what I have shown?

Thanks peoplz

The T50RPs would be great for those genres after some modding, but they aren't so great stock.  Look for some of my posts a few pages back where I described this to someone else.

The M50s are a good choice for anything with deep synthesized bass but will have a smaller soundstage than the Senns or modded T50RPs.

Quote:
The D2000's are just slightly over my 200 pound budget. Is there anything else with a similar sound to the XB700's?

That's the closest I've heard myself.  Maybe some the of the cheaper Denons would be similar but I haven't heard them so I couldn't say.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #1,649 of 29,490
Couple questions i'll bundle all into one. Background: we have a reward program at work, which I did not even know about until recently. Apparently i've been racking in the points and didn't even know it, and I need to spend these points.

I have modded 580's which should be back to be tomorrow. Now, I have not even heard these yet, I sent them off right away, for the upgraded drivers etc from a good friend, so I already have a gaming headset which I will use for music listening periodically also. The catch is that these points expire, so I was looking at buying the k701, and DT 770 / 80. K701 for home use, and 770 for work, planes etc. (I have LOD > E5 > RE0 for daily commute). 

Anyways by budget can handle these two, and the Fiio E7/E9. My reasoning for going with multiple headphones instead of a better one is so I can 1) experience differences, and 2) so I can figure out generally what sound sig best suits my ears.

The reasoning for this is ease. I can leave my 580's at my gaming rig w/ Astro Mixamp, and pre amp w/ E5 if necessary. Portable will stay the same, I can bring E7 with me to work for the DT700's, and at home I have the E9/E7 for whatever I want.

Can I have some opinions? I have only been looking into this briefly, so I'd like opinions from others.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #1,650 of 29,490

Quote:

I am in the market for a pair of budget hi-fi headphones ($100).  I listen to a variety of music - everything from acoustic to hip-hop, but mostly rock.  I do not need booming bass, but good bass definition and a little oomph would be nice.  I want detail and clarity.  I like a slightly warm sound, but detail and clarity is really key. 

So, I have identified three possibilities:

1.  Grado sr60i with Sennheiser HD414 pads
2.  Grado sr80i
3.  Sennheiser HD555

I considered the Alessandro MS-1, but I can't get it on Amazon.  I have an Amazon gift card to use on this purchase, so it's got to be available on Amazon.

Any other possibilities I should consider?  I'm a little worried that the Grados will be too harsh, but it sounds like they have great detail in the mid-range, which I want.

My source will be a newish iMac and sometimes an iPhone.  No external amp, at least for now.

As a follow-up question, I can get my hands on an M-Audio USB Audiophile.  Is it worth using that as the output, rather than just sticking with the iMac sound card and amp?  Again, no separate amp involved.

Thank you for your advice!

I had a love/hate relationship with my Grado Sr80i. They were my first quality minded headphones I ever bought. I'd heard about the fatigue, but didn't think it'd be a huge problem, boy was I wrong. After about 3-4 hours I couldn't stand to hear music with them anymore, they are very aggressive/bright headphones. They also hurt my ears physically, I never found them very comfortable, but they did get better with more use. I said I had a love/hate relationship with them, here's the love part. They were great headphones for the price, they made music engaging, they brought my music to life. They had suitable bass, and an in your face style that I loved until it eventually caused the fatigue.

I would gladly recommend the Grado Sr80i to those who's main listening genre is rock, but you've been warned. They are amazing for second headphones though, I personally would never have them again for main headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back