++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 17, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #1,593 of 29,490
I've checked every single Canadian retailer, and the ones that carry M50's have them for around $200 (Lowest price being $190), and I can't bring myself to pay that much for something I know I can get for 120 if I could just get to New York. I've decided against the DT 770 250ohm, and it was really difficult. I love how they look and how comfortable they're said to be. But I really can't afford an amp and I would hate to know that they sound bad with my setup, while having the potential to sound so good with proper amplification. 

As for the Shure 750DJ, for some reason I just don't feel great about them. They don't seem to be the most comfortable things in the world to put on your head, and are about $35 more expensive than the M50. Would they be comfortable and good for Trance/Instrumental all over the place type listening?

I'm just so confused, I really have no idea what to get. I just feel so overwhelmed, despite having so little choices because of being in Canada.

Essentially, I can't get the M50 in Canada under $200 (or from eBay, where I risk them breaking in a few days), and the 750DJ just doesn't feel right to me, a bit too bassy, maybe uncomfortable. The HFI-780 are backordered, so I might end up waiting for those and ordering them, but they just seem kind of unnatural, not completely to my taste for some reason.  I love absolutely everything about the DT770 but I'm wary of them being hard to drive. Maybe my soundcard/speakers might fix that, and if not, maybe I'd get something like a FiiO E5 or a PA2V2 in the near future.

I'm really grateful for all the replies so far. Can anybody pull me out of this ditch? 

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #1,594 of 29,490
Hello everyone,
I have decided to purchase the Sennheiser HD380's and was wondering if a Xonar Essense STX would be a good pair for these headphones.  Also, would a Fiio E5 be beneficial for this setupat all?
Thanks

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #1,595 of 29,490
The Essence STX is one of the absolute top-end sound cards.Gets absolutely ridiculous reviews, and I would say if you have the money to spare it seems like you just can't go wrong. As for the E5, if you're going to be running off an Essence STX, there is absolutely no need for an E5, I think.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #1,596 of 29,490
Quote:
I've checked every single Canadian retailer, and the ones that carry M50's have them for around $200 (Lowest price being $190), and I can't bring myself to pay that much for something I know I can get for 120 if I could just get to New York. I've decided against the DT 770 250ohm, and it was really difficult. I love how they look and how comfortable they're said to be. But I really can't afford an amp and I would hate to know that they sound bad with my setup, while having the potential to sound so good with proper amplification. 

As for the Shure 750DJ, for some reason I just don't feel great about them. They don't seem to be the most comfortable things in the world to put on your head, and are about $35 more expensive than the M50. Would they be comfortable and good for Trance/Instrumental all over the place type listening?

I'm just so confused, I really have no idea what to get. I just feel so overwhelmed, despite having so little choices because of being in Canada.

Essentially, I can't get the M50 in Canada under $200 (or from eBay, where I risk them breaking in a few days), and the 750DJ just doesn't feel right to me, a bit too bassy, maybe uncomfortable. The HFI-780 are backordered, so I might end up waiting for those and ordering them, but they just seem kind of unnatural, not completely to my taste for some reason.  I love absolutely everything about the DT770 but I'm wary of them being hard to drive. Maybe my soundcard/speakers might fix that, and if not, maybe I'd get something like a FiiO E5 or a PA2V2 in the near future.

I'm really grateful for all the replies so far. Can anybody pull me out of this ditch? 

The 770/250s are likely to be fine out of either your soundcard or the headphone jack on you logitec speakers.  Their high impedance usually makes marginal amp circuits behave themselves and output a cleaner signal.  The problem is getting enough voltage to get to the volume you wan't to listen at.  Portable devices with single Li-I cell at 3.7 volts usually don't give most people enough volume but anything that plugs into the wall should have plenty of voltage.

Feb 18, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #1,597 of 29,490

Quote:
I am in the market for headphones. Primary use will be music at home (mostly computer, perhaps stereo installation as well if I were to invest in this in the future), secondary use will be movies and tv series. I'd like over-ear ones, perhaps noise-cancelling (though I generally don't listen to music in high-noise areas). Other than that, I'm really not sure what to look for.
Could you suggest some headphones in different price categories (let's say 250-400, 400-550 and 550+ euro ?) so I have a good idea?

I generally listen to (hard) rock and metal music, with some alternative mixed in. Very little electronic music, or any other genre for that matter. Mostly guitar-stuff :wink:

Perhaps not suited for the same thread, but feel free to give input: cheaper, "low profile" headphone (can be onear though) to use while commuting, as well as a audio card to purchase with the headphones to put into my pc, in order to replace the onboard soundcard of my motherboard.

Thanks!

I haven't received any input on this, perhaps people simply missed it, or did I forget to include some key information to make it possible to recommend headphones for me?
I've ordered the Head-Direct RE0 with one of those FiiO 3 portable amps, so that part of the question can be ignored, mostly looking for advice on headphones, soundcard and/or whatever peripherals I would need to make the headphones sound good for the music types I mentioned.
(To go more into detail: The Mars Volta, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, Kyuss, Iron Maiden, Tool, Arctic Monkeys, Mastodon, ...)

Much appreciated already!

Feb 18, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #1,598 of 29,490
Hey guys :)
Last time I asked for advice here, it was what cheap pair of IEMs to get and I ended up getting the PL-50s for about $10 and absolutely love them :)

So now I turn to you again:
 - Looking for over the head headphones
 - Comfortable for wearing for long periods
 - Cheaper the better, definitely under $100US
 - Sound quality DOES NOT :)O) worry me! I am not a sound nut at all (yet). They all sound the same to me (sacrelige?)
 - The more outside noise they block out the better

TLDR: <$100 headphones that are comfortable and block outside sounds.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #1,599 of 29,490

Quote:
I haven't received any input on this, perhaps people simply missed it, or did I forget to include some key information to make it possible to recommend headphones for me?
I've ordered the Head-Direct RE0 with one of those FiiO 3 portable amps, so that part of the question can be ignored, mostly looking for advice on headphones, soundcard and/or whatever peripherals I would need to make the headphones sound good for the music types I mentioned.
(To go more into detail: The Mars Volta, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, Kyuss, Iron Maiden, Tool, Arctic Monkeys, Mastodon, ...)

I'm not an expert or anything, but I've heard that the AKG K701 are good for music that isn't bass reliant, much like what you've listed. Maybe you could get a cheap amp like an Little Dot Micro+ or a PA2V2 to go with it.

[size=medium]

Quote:
Hey guys :)
Last time I asked for advice here, it was what cheap pair of IEMs to get and I ended up getting the PL-50s for about $10 and absolutely love them :)

So now I turn to you again:
 - Looking for over the head headphones
 - Comfortable for wearing for long periods
 - Cheaper the better, definitely under $100US
 - Sound quality DOES NOT :)O) worry me! I am not a sound nut at all (yet). They all sound the same to me (sacrelige?)
 - The more outside noise they block out the better

TLDR: <$100 headphones that are comfortable and block outside sounds.

Off the top of my head, the Shure SRH440's and Audio-Technica ATH-M50's should block a very decent level of noise and sound fairly decent. That's just off the top of my head, but I suspect mostly any closed circumaural cans with pleather pads should block off outside noises pretty well.​
[/size]

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #1,600 of 29,490

Quote:

A uDac with Grado SR60/SR80, or for a bit more, SR225 is a very very nice combination for guitar-heavy rock and I'd say the best bang for your buck.  The dac is a little  warm, complementing those phones very well.

p.s. buy them used because new models are much more expensive outside the U.S.

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #1,601 of 29,490

Quote:

confused_face_2.gif
  Head-fier for a year and a half- and you don't care about sound quality?  Try Cnet.  Or earmuffs.  
tongue.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #1,602 of 29,490

Quote:
I tried the Sennheiser HD25-1-ii's but I think I want something Circumaural.  Ideas?

If you're looking for isolation, portable, and play almost exclusively electronica, any sort of DJ can should suit you. The M50 is very popular, and I would suggest getting the Shure 840 pads to increase comfort and isolation. I really like the M-Audio Q40 for electronica, but it has only average isolation compared to the others (although switching out for Beyer pads can help here).

Quote:
A uDac with Grado SR60/SR80, or for a bit more, SR225 is a very very nice combination for guitar-heavy rock and I'd say the best bang for your buck.  The dac is a little  warm, complementing those phones very well.

p.s. buy them used because new models are much more expensive outside the U.S.

If outside the US, look into Alessandros instead. They don't have the ridiculous price markup that Grados have.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #1,603 of 29,490
So I'm beginning to think that it's not suitable for me to wear iems at work sometimes and need some full size (or portable) headphones.  They need to block out a lot of noise though.  Any ideas on where to start?  As a reference point the bw p5's don't isolate enough if thats any help (not that I bought them for that but still!).

Cheers.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #1,604 of 29,490
Quote:
So I'm beginning to think that it's not suitable for me to wear iems at work sometimes and need some full size (or portable) headphones.  They need to block out a lot of noise though.  Any ideas on where to start?  As a reference point the bw p5's don't isolate enough if thats any help (not that I bought them for that but still!).

Cheers.

The Beyer DT770s block out a lot of noise.  Last time I checked, the only non-IEMs that were better (on Headroom's graphs) were the Bose QC 'phones.  If you get the gel pads from Beyer it will increase the bass a bit and increase the isolation even more.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #1,605 of 29,490

Quote:

Cheers.

In my own comparisons, I found that for blocking sound leakage:  K271 > SRH840 > DT770-80 > DT250-250 > D5000
For sound quality, I found:  D5000 > SRH840 > DT250-250 > DT770 > K271
So I say SRH840.  Even though you'll look like you have antlers.
Headroom also has graphs of sound leakage so you can compare most closed headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back