++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 6, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #1,352 of 29,490
Add another tally on the first poster list.

I'll cut right to the chase:

-100-150$ budget, though I'd prefer to stay on the lower end.
-Somewhat portable. I'd like to be able to use them on the go, but they don't need to be ultra compact or collapsible.
-No amp needed for MP3 player usage. (I'm not ready for this stuff... yet)
-Solid performance for gaming.
-Good bass. Not so thick it muddles out the rest, but solid enough to feel.

I mainly listen to rock, a bit of metal, electronic/techno, and mainly female vocalists.

I've been looking at http://us.store.creative.com/Aurvana-Live/M/B000ZJZ7OA.htm, but there's not a whole lot of reviews I could find so I don't want to jump in feet first.

Apologies if this is a redundant question, I just figured it'd be easier to get a straight answer to what I'm looking for specifically.

Can't wait for the flies to start zipping out of my wallet.

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #1,353 of 29,490
Audio Technica ES7 and M50.

Quote:
Add another tally on the first poster list.

I'll cut right to the chase:

-100-150$ budget, though I'd prefer to stay on the lower end.
-Somewhat portable. I'd like to be able to use them on the go, but they don't need to be ultra compact or collapsible.
-No amp needed for MP3 player usage. (I'm not ready for this stuff... yet)
-Solid performance for gaming.
-Good bass. Not so thick it muddles out the rest, but solid enough to feel.

I mainly listen to rock, a bit of metal, electronic/techno, and mainly female vocalists.

I've been looking at http://us.store.creative.com/Aurvana-Live/M/B000ZJZ7OA.htm, but there's not a whole lot of reviews I could find so I don't want to jump in feet first.

Apologies if this is a redundant question, I just figured it'd be easier to get a straight answer to what I'm looking for specifically.

Can't wait for the flies to start zipping out of my wallet.

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #1,355 of 29,490
Quote:

I'm in the market for some new headphones and I figured this is one of the best places to get help. I'm looking to spend around $80-$100. I have a high standard for comfort and need to find some cans that I can wear for many hours straight without any stress.

I listen to dubstep, dnb, house, and some other electronic genres, so some cans with some bass would be nice. I also game a good amount so good sound-stage would be nice. My sound card is an Asus Xonar DG, so I'm hoping whatever I get won't be "bottlenecked" by it.

I've looked into some headphones including AD700's, A700's, ATH-M50's, Sennheiser HD555's, AKG K240's. I'm also going to need a mic similar to the LVA7330(it isn't available anywhere since a few days ago) that can be modded onto the side(won't settle for the Zalman clip on, seems like junk and I've heard it is).

Link to mod I'm talking about: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/446329/fragtality-s-audio-technica-ad700-boom-mic-mod

Thanks.

The AD700 would be best for FPS gaming due to its large soundstage.  The M50s have the deepest bass which is good for electronic music, but not the best soundstage.  The HD555s may be a decent compromise.

If you can swing the extra money the Beyerdynamic DT990s have a huge soundstage and good bass as well.  They're pretty comfy too.

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #1,356 of 29,490
Quote:
The AD700 would be best for FPS gaming due to its large soundstage. The M50s have the deepest bass which is good for electronic music, but not the best soundstage. The HD555s may be a decent compromise.

If you can swing the extra money the Beyerdynamic DT990s have a huge soundstage and good bass as well. They're pretty comfy too.

lol

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #1,357 of 29,490
Feb 6, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #1,359 of 29,490
Frequency response.

Bass is on the left, treble is on the right.  The higher the line, the louder it is at that frequency.  A flat line at 0dB is perfectly neutral, at least for speakers.  Things get a lot more complicated for headphones, but usually flatter is still better.

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #1,360 of 29,490
Okay, so I'm torn after reading in the Grado line. I think I've narrowed it down to the SR60i or the SR225i, as I've heard those two offer the best bang for your buck. I owned the SR80is in the past and had a love hate relationship with them. I recently bought AD900s and am very happy. I do want something more aggressive sounding though now. Should I buy the SR60i, or pony up the extra ~$100 for the 225i? I'm considering the SR125i, but it seems I'd be best off paying an extra $50 for the 225i.

Edit: My listening set-up is iPod 6.5g-->Line-Out to FiiO E7-->Headphones.

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #1,362 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm trying to find the best headphones in the $250-350 range.  These will be for listening to Hip Hop / Rap Music and also for playing PC games for many hours so I would love something very comfortable.

Thanks guys!

I'm assuming you'll want lots of bass for your music and a large soundstage for your gaming. (for FPS games at least...)

If that's true, either the Beyerdynamic DT770 (any version but the 600 ohm) or the DT990 (any version) would be good choices.  The 770s have more bass but a smaller soundstage and the situation is reversed for the DT990s.  The 990s have lots of bass for an open headphone and the 770s have a large soundstage for a closed headphones so the trade offs involved aren't huge, but they are worth considering.  They're both pretty comfy too.

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #1,363 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
I'm trying to find the best headphones in the $250-350 range.  These will be for listening to Hip Hop / Rap Music and also for playing PC games for many hours so I would love something very comfortable.

Thanks guys!

I'm assuming you'll want lots of bass for your music and a large soundstage for your gaming. (for FPS games at least...)

If that's true, either the Beyerdynamic DT770 (any version but the 600 ohm) or the DT990 (any version) would be good choices.  The 770s have more bass but a smaller soundstage and the situation is reversed for the DT990s.  The 990s have lots of bass for an open headphone and the 770s have a large soundstage for a closed headphones so the trade offs involved aren't huge, but they are worth considering.  They're both pretty comfy too.

Okay, I had seen a lot of people recommend the DT770 80ohms.  Whats the opinion on DT770 VS AKG K702?  I have been reading tons of great stuff about the K702's, right now its between one of the beyerdynamics and the K702, or possibly the HD650s if they ever come back in stock at the store I want them at.

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #1,364 of 29,490
So... I'm about to take the plunge and order the Beyer DT150 and some velour pads (DT-100). Now I wanted to check one last time, perhaps new answers will appear: 

Is there something that gives the punchy, egernetig deep bass of the HD25 together with crystaline, brilliant heights and a non-recessed midrange? (K701s come to mind regarding the heights). Soundstage is ratehr unimportant, but would be a bonus.Budget is 200€ / 270USD, EU-prices only. As much as is neccessary, and as little as possible. I'm open for anything.  

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #1,365 of 29,490
double...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back