++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 5, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #1,336 of 29,490
Okay guys, I would go with the SRH-840's BUT i can't find any that are around $100, $120 tops, where as the M50's I can.

So my question is, since I'm going for the ATH-M50's, is there any way an EQ can fix up the mids a little bit?

Also If you find the SRH-840 for $120 or under, please PM me.

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #1,337 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,

Need some suggestions for headphones at or below $150, and they have to sound good unamped, out of on-board audio (and if possible good quality DAPs).
I would also prefer circum-aural, but I can accept supra-aural as long as it's not uncomfortable (I have an average sized head). Don't care much if it's open or closed, I'll be using at home only.

Music genres: indie and alternative rock, some folk, and mostly female vocalists. I listen to pretty much every genre, but these are the ones I care the most about.

Thanks!
k701smile.gif

I like Audio Technicas for female vocals. Anything except the M50 (which is sort of the black sheep of the family). The AD700 or A700 would be good, depending if you want open or closed. Also strongly consider an AKG K240mkii, but AKGs tend to perform better with amps.

Thank you for the suggestions!
Though I find kinda strange you say the M50 is the "black sheep", as I usually see those being recommended here on head-fi. Probably not ideal for my genres though...

The AD700 looks very promising, but I've been looking on Amazon, and some people say they only fit well if you have a large head. Maybe I should worry about this (I have pretty much an average sized head) ?

Quote:
Grado SR60/80/225, depending on which can be found in your budget in Rio.  They are ok unamped and do supremely good job with electric/acoustic guitar and vocals.  

I am kinda scared of Grados.
tongue.gif

I hate sibilant/harsh highs, and I heard the Grados can be a bit harsh at times. I do love details and an airy sound, but I find accentuated treble to be very fatiguing (main reason I hate the Philips HP250, but these are $20 phones so can't expect much anyway).

I won't be buying these here in Rio (most models cannot be found here, and when you find them it's way too expensive), I will ask a friend to bring it from the US or Canada, on his future travels.
wink.gif

And this also means I will not be able to return the headphones if I don't like them. I have to get it right.

EDIT: I was looking, the Sennheiser HD555 feels like a good option too, found some people saying they're good for female vocalists and work well unamped. And they look very comfy. Any objections?

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #1,338 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
So far, I've narrowed it down to somewhere between ATH-M50, XONE XD-53.
I listen to an array of music, but mostly alt rock, I guess. But i still have a lot of dance and rap and anything under the moon, really lol.
I personally don't know much about headphones, so maybe there's a headphone that I haven't mentioned that would be better for me.
Most importantly, it would be nice if the headphones looked nice. Like i understand that Grado is renown for rock, but honestly they don't look so hot IMO.
thanks a lot :)
important info: I don't want to have to use an amp.
                     Im looking around 150 but will go as far as 200 - thats where I draw the line.
                     I want the outside world to be blocked out.
                     I dont want a cable thats like 3m long (1.2 is nice =D)
Thanks again!

Other options which have better isolation and are all under $200...
Shure 840 or 750DJ
Sennheiser HD25-1-ii
Sennheiser HD280
Beyerdynamic DT770

Hey, thanks. i like the look of the HD25-1-ii nd the DT770
but i read that the 770 needs an amp and they also have a 3m cable which is meh..
I have a question about the HD25... well theyre not over the ear - theyre on the ear... are they comfortable? cuz i was really set on the idea of an over the ear. Hows the quality of these cans? their bass? mids" lows" highs? cuz i care more bout quality than isolation... But isolation is still pretty important cuz the metros loud (or the subway.. people call it one or the other depending on where u live lol)
Although I'm not too familiar with the term, are they "flat"? (i think it means that it doesnt push too much into any category... that they make the music come out as the artist intended)
OH and i read that the HD25 has a small soundstage... how true is this? is it really that bad? what types of music does it affect?
EDIT: im starting to warm up to the grado look... maybe one of those are good too? (isolation? bass? lows? mids? highs? flat? overall quality?) sorry for all the questions =D

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #1,339 of 29,490
Hello, Head-Fi!

I am in the process of buying new headphones since my Senn HD595 broke a few weeks ago. The price that I am intending to try staying below is £170/$260. I've been looking at the "upgraded" version of the 595's, the HD598. However, a little something as been troubling me which has kept me from ordering... While I thoroughly enjoyed the 595's, I've noticed something ever since I started using my Klipsch S4i as a temp replacement: I love the added bass presence/thump (not too familiar with the audiophile terminology) and the slightly "darker" (again, sorry for the terms) sound of the in-ear phones. I listen to a lot of electronic music so it's quite important. I also feel it adds more depth to "epic" music such as movie soundtracks (Inception comes to mind).

I've researched a bit and apparently the Beyerdynamic DT770 is supposed to be very bass heavy, however what scares me off is the fact that they are closed and some say they require an amp. I am playing a lot of online games using voice communication so I am a bit scared that the added isolation of a pair of closed headphones will cause me to speak loudly and annoy both the people I'm talk to and people around the house. Are my fears about closed headphones warranted?

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,
Proditor

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #1,340 of 29,490
sorry for reposting this, im just incredibly anxious for some help and buying some new headphones, just really need help on finding the right ones.

Quote:
Quote:
@jedichampion Yeah grados are open... you could try any of my aforementioned depending on taste, I would still suggest IEM though.

@Squires For use with an ipod you can rule out the K701s, IMO anything short of a decent tube amp and they're lifeless. If I was in your shoes I'd go IEM, SuperFi 5 Pro are $75 on sale right now. If you're wanting full size ampless the usual responce is M50, you could try a Beyerdynamic DT770 or ULtrasone HFI-580 for a little more bass impact.

@Graphicism, thanks for the heads up, and i would buy an amp the fiio e5 i think it was, so i dot kow if that would help at all, and sorry im completely new to any termonology
blink.gif
, i would really enjoy a pair of full sized headphones that are similar in look to the k701's if there are any but that can be used with my iphone and as well at home. Primarily at home though or at times when im at the library and want to listen to some music while i do some work.i figure i could always buy in ear for the walking to class part.any ideas? 

Quote:
Quote:
Hi everyone,

i had posted before however, i want to change it a bit. previously i was looking for a headphone no more than 150 dollars but i decided why not and just get a really good pair now that will last a long time and sound excellent, here are the criteria if anyone can help me:

-no more than 300 dollars
-listen to primarily hip hop so it needs to be able to handle that genre very well, although i do also listen to classical and all other genres of music
-would really prefer little to no sound leakage
-they are for walking to class with use with my iphone
-somewhat reasonable in size, wouldnt want to look rediculous with massive headphones walking around campus
-have looked at and am thinking about the k701's but the reviews are all over the place so i decided to ask here

please help!
atsmile.gif

The 701 matches none of your criteria. All I can say is: Don't get the 701.

EDIT: sigh.... I thought I was editing, but I guess not, sorry for the double guys.

@2wenty3 Thanks! do you have any suggestions for headphones, i want to get full sized. and they would be used for walking to class, but most likely i would end up using them mostly at home with my iphone or at a library with my laptop.

Quote:
Quote:
Hi everyone,

i had posted before however, i want to change it a bit. previously i was looking for a headphone no more than 150 dollars but i decided why not and just get a really good pair now that will last a long time and sound excellent, here are the criteria if anyone can help me:

-listen to primarily hip hop so it needs to be able to handle that genre very well, although i do also listen to classical and all other genres of music
-somewhat reasonable in size, wouldnt want to look rediculous with massive headphones walking around campus
-have looked at and am thinking about the k701's but the reviews are all over the place so i decided to ask here

please help!
atsmile.gif

Get a Sennheiser IE8 IEM or the ATH-M50 if you're set on full size. K701 is a terrible idea as it needs a decent amp to drive it, and it's bass is not enough for hip hop.

@matthewh133 Thanks, yes i am really stuck on gettinga full size pair, and i would get the portable fiio e5 amp if that would help at all, do you have any suggestions on full sized headphones that fit my criteria? and they would be used for walking to class, but most likely i would end up using them mostly at home with my iphone or at a library with my laptop.

Quote:
Quote:

Hi Everyone,

I am completely new to all of this and have no idea where to start looking for a pair of full sized headphones, ive done plenty of research in these forums but am still unsure if it was what i was looking for. If anyone could help me that would be great, since i really dont know what goes into making a great headphone and have never owned a pair of full sized headphones before but would like to make my first pair a great starter. here are some of the things that might help you help me out
darthsmile.gif
:

- i listen primarily to  hip hop music but also listen to classical like ravel and debussey
- these headphones would be used daily for walking to class (college student) and just sitting at home listening to some music
- since i will be walking around with these i wouldnt want them leaking alot of sound but a little isnt going to kill
-they will be mostly used with my iphone 4 so i know id have to probably get an amplifier
- i would like them to look decent, good style but also not wain in the sound quality which is very important to me
- extra bass isnt key as long as it has great lows mids and highs
- basically i want something that sounds amazing but isnt ugly within my price range (150 dollars max)

as far as my research goes ive looked at the Sony MDR-XB700 (which i think look awesome, besides how massive they are), Audio Technica ATH-A700 (looks good, unsure about sound quality), Audio-Technica ATH-M50S (not too sure how i feel about the look), Sennheiser HD448 (look good unsure about the sounds quality), AKG K240MKII (just unsure about it overall), and the beyerdynamic DT 440 (unsure about the sound)

thanks in advance!
dt880smile.png

Scratch the A700 and K240 off the list. Those ones are just too big bulky to really be portable and you'll probably mangle the headbands somewhere during transport. The HD448 are also rather stiff and I would remove that one as well (I don't think they sound that great anyways). Without amp, I would take the DT440 out since Beyers are typically hungry for power.

So that leaves the M50 or XB700. Considering that you want to listen to classical, take out the M50 (it has lousy mids, and you can't have classical without that)

Looks you're you're getting the XB700
biggrin.gif
(or wait for the XB1000... but there has been no US pricing or release date yet)

Quote:
Quote:
Hi everyone,

please help!
atsmile.gif

The K701 are really not suitable for what you want. They leak and aren't portable in the slightest.

How about the Beyerdynamic T50p. It's small and portable, looks great, comes with a nice semi-hard case, doesn't need an amp, and plays well with most genres.

@ both post by Armaegis the xb700 are just massive and i would look rediculous walking around in them, i had thought about it but after doing some more research found out how big they really are. and the beyerdynamic t50p just look too tiny and flimsy. I would still want full sized headphones, and even though i would walk to class with them i would eventually get in ear headphones to compensate in that area as i wouldnt want to be walking around with 300+ dollar headphones
tongue_smile.gif
.i want something that looks similar to the k701's, i just think they look beautiful, but that can also handle my music like i had said i listen to hip hop, classical, rock, indie basically everything but country.i want something with great bass response but that doesnt overwhelm me, but that has amazing sound quality at all listening levels, at the price that is. so that being said when i listen to them with my iphone i am going to get an fiio e5 amp and other than that i would listen to them with my laptop. any ideas to help me out?

thanks to everyone again!
this is really helping me out, i dont want to spend that much money to be dissapointed

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #1,341 of 29,490

Quote:
OK i think i've narrowed down my choices to the M50 ,Phiaton MS400s, SRH840... Just asking once more before i decide on a purchase... does anyone recommend anything they mihgt think are better than those two?  Price Range : 350$ . Needs to sound good unamped, clear, and not TOO much bass, just a good amount..  I know i have asked many times but i don't want to make a mistake on my first pair of headphones..
Edit : How about the Denon 2000 or 5000's ? Can they go unamped ?

My pick would be the MS400, which I think are also on sale through Amazon right now.

I find Denons sound better from a low gain amp. They go loud very easily, but tend to get grainy without a good amp (low/mid volumes are just fine though).

Quote:
I saw the px100, but I'm looking for full-sized headphones that fit comfortable. These are for home use only, my portapros and M6 are my portables. I want someone encloses the whole ear, I've used the UR-55 (but doesn't cover whole ear) and M30(my ears hit the grill).

I saw the JVC HARX-700, which get good reviews but need burn in. How much of a difference are their sound from the UR-55 and portapros?

At that price you're a little thin for options. There's the JVC, the Senn HD20x, you might be able to find a used Audio Technica A700 or AD700 around that price.

Quote:
@ both post by Armaegis the xb700 are just massive and i would look rediculous walking around in them, i had thought about it but after doing some more research found out how big they really are. and the beyerdynamic t50p just look too tiny and flimsy. I would still want full sized headphones, and even though i would walk to class with them i would eventually get in ear headphones to compensate in that area as i wouldnt want to be walking around with 300+ dollar headphones
tongue_smile.gif
.i want something that looks similar to the k701's, i just think they look beautiful, but that can also handle my music like i had said i listen to hip hop, classical, rock, indie basically everything but country.i want something with great bass response but that doesnt overwhelm me, but that has amazing sound quality at all listening levels, at the price that is. so that being said when i listen to them with my iphone i am going to get an fiio e5 amp and other than that i would listen to them with my laptop. any ideas to help me out?

this is really helping me out, i dont want to spend that much money to be dissapointed

How about the XB500? Some day they are actually better than the 700.

The T50p are not flimy. They have a bit of weight and the metal construction feels quite solid.

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #1,342 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay guys, I would go with the SRH-840's BUT i can't find any that are around $100, $120 tops, where as the M50's I can.

So my question is, since I'm going for the ATH-M50's, is there any way an EQ can fix up the mids a little bit?

Also If you find the SRH-840 for $120 or under, please PM me.

With EQ, I would actually bring down the bass and highs and then bring overall volume up a bit. It doesn't hurt to experiment though.

Keep an eye out on the sale forums as the 840s do pop up from time to time. Also, just be patient. Shure is releasing the 940 soon, which will likely bring the 840 down in price.

Quote:
Though I find kinda strange you say the M50 is the "black sheep", as I usually see those being recommended here on head-fi. Probably not ideal for my genres though...

The AD700 looks very promising, but I've been looking on Amazon, and some people say they only fit well if you have a large head. Maybe I should worry about this (I have pretty much an average sized head) ?

EDIT: I was looking, the Sennheiser HD555 feels like a good option too, found some people saying they're good for female vocalists and work well unamped. And they look very comfy. Any objections?

I say black sheep in the sense that the M50 sounds very different from the usual AT lineup (at least the ones that are popularly known on headfi). Most are airy with good mids, while the M50 is the opposite.

The HD555 is a fine headphone and easily modded into the 595. I would choose that over the M50 if given the chance (unless you need something closed and/or portable).

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So far, I've narrowed it down to somewhere between ATH-M50, XONE XD-53.
I listen to an array of music, but mostly alt rock, I guess. But i still have a lot of dance and rap and anything under the moon, really lol.
I personally don't know much about headphones, so maybe there's a headphone that I haven't mentioned that would be better for me.
Most importantly, it would be nice if the headphones looked nice. Like i understand that Grado is renown for rock, but honestly they don't look so hot IMO.
thanks a lot :)
important info: I don't want to have to use an amp.
                     Im looking around 150 but will go as far as 200 - thats where I draw the line.
                     I want the outside world to be blocked out.
                     I dont want a cable thats like 3m long (1.2 is nice =D)
Thanks again!

Other options which have better isolation and are all under $200...
Shure 840 or 750DJ
Sennheiser HD25-1-ii
Sennheiser HD280
Beyerdynamic DT770

Hey, thanks. i like the look of the HD25-1-ii nd the DT770
but i read that the 770 needs an amp and they also have a 3m cable which is meh..
I have a question about the HD25... well theyre not over the ear - theyre on the ear... are they comfortable? cuz i was really set on the idea of an over the ear. Hows the quality of these cans? their bass? mids" lows" highs? cuz i care more bout quality than isolation... But isolation is still pretty important cuz the metros loud (or the subway.. people call it one or the other depending on where u live lol)
Although I'm not too familiar with the term, are they "flat"? (i think it means that it doesnt push too much into any category... that they make the music come out as the artist intended)
OH and i read that the HD25 has a small soundstage... how true is this? is it really that bad? what types of music does it affect?
EDIT: im starting to warm up to the grado look... maybe one of those are good too? (isolation? bass? lows? mids? highs? flat? overall quality?) sorry for all the questions =D

Beyers do tend to be somewhat power hungry.

Comfort is a fuzzy issue and you really won't know until you try it. Fortunately, the HD25 is very popular and widely available at most guitar/music stores, so the best thing to do is to head down and try one out. There are also tons and tons of reviews, so do a bit of reading. Choosing between the two, I would probably go with the Senn. I definitely consider them flatter than the DT770, but they also have a smaller stage. Whether or not this affects the music is entirely up to your ear. The Beyers are also likely going to be available at a store, so demo both and see how you like them.

Grados have no isolation whatsoever, are typically lean yet punchy in the bass, and are strong in the highs which people either love or hate.

Quote:
Hello, Head-Fi!

I am in the process of buying new headphones since my Senn HD595 broke a few weeks ago. The price that I am intending to try staying below is £170/$260. I've been looking at the "upgraded" version of the 595's, the HD598. However, a little something as been troubling me which has kept me from ordering... While I thoroughly enjoyed the 595's, I've noticed something ever since I started using my Klipsch S4i as a temp replacement: I love the added bass presence/thump (not too familiar with the audiophile terminology) and the slightly "darker" (again, sorry for the terms) sound of the in-ear phones. I listen to a lot of electronic music so it's quite important. I also feel it adds more depth to "epic" music such as movie soundtracks (Inception comes to mind).

I've researched a bit and apparently the Beyerdynamic DT770 is supposed to be very bass heavy, however what scares me off is the fact that they are closed and some say they require an amp. I am playing a lot of online games using voice communication so I am a bit scared that the added isolation of a pair of closed headphones will cause me to speak loudly and annoy both the people I'm talk to and people around the house. Are my fears about closed headphones warranted?

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,
Proditor

The DT770 are indeed bass heavy. Do a search for "gaming headphones" here and you will find a multitude of threads.

As for the whole isolation/yelling thing, really if you just turn the volume down then you won't have a problem.

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #1,343 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

I say black sheep in the sense that the M50 sounds very different from the usual AT lineup (at least the ones that are popularly known on headfi). Most are airy with good mids, while the M50 is the opposite.

The HD555 is a fine headphone and easily modded into the 595. I would choose that over the M50 if given the chance (unless you need something closed and/or portable).

Hmm got it.

So I think I'll stay with the HD555, because the AD700 looks like it will not fit very well. I've found some mods around here, like the rubber band mod, and the fit and confort mod. But I don't wanna buy headphones that require modding just to fit well... Which is very unfortunate, because everyone praises their sound quality...
frown.gif

And then there's Grado... I just have this instinctive feeling that I will not like the Grado signature.
tongue.gif

And they also look uncomfy and somewhat flimsy... I'd like headphones that won't hurt my head after 3~5h of continuous usage.

Thanks for the help!
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: By the way, can anyone recommend a physical store in the NY area to buy these headphones? Sorry I can't be more precise, I still don't know exactly where my friend's staying...
Or tell me if it should be easy to find just looking around the stores.

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #1,344 of 29,490

Hey all, new to the forums, just wanted to get your expert opinions on what the best headphones in the $250-350 range are?  I will be using these for listening to music at home as well as playing games for long periods of time.  

I already have a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P5's, which I use to listen to most music besides Rap, so I am looking for a pair that might be a little better for heavy bass music.  Also like I said, I play a lot of online games and will have them on for long periods of time, so something very comfortable would be nice.

Lastly if anyone wants to also recommend a good headphone amplifier to go with the headphones you suggest, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions!

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #1,345 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
tongue_smile.gif

How about the XB500? Some day they are actually better than the 700.

The T50p are not flimy. They have a bit of weight and the metal construction feels quite solid.

do the xb500's actually sound good overall or are they bass monsters, i would really just like a set of headphones that can handle hip hop music, the headphones dont really need to give me a thump of bass, i just want to listen to music at its purest form, i dont know how else to explain it. just over beautiful sound quality i guess, a little bass, just something that makes music sound the best at 300 or less dollars.haha.hopefully there is something out there for me, im really leaning at the k701's with a portable amp if you have any reccomandations on that as well, either that or ultrasones but i havent heard much about them and also the beyer dt880 i think they were, but they are open and cant really use them in a library setting.

Feb 5, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #1,346 of 29,490
hey um looking to buy new headphones, if you guys could help it would be great.

I listen to metal, rap, hip hop and techno.

If they can be under 100USD it would be great.

I use this site for headphone pricing as im from nz (http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=148) if you can recomend me a good set of headphones for that price it would be great, (i can spend up to $150NZD if you use that site).

Please help, thanks

Feb 5, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #1,347 of 29,490
Hi. I listen to mainly Punk rock, pop-punk and Alternative rock.

Bands like Green Day, Sum 41, Billy Talent, and My Chemical Romance if you need examples.

My budget is $100CAD and I want headphones that would suit my taste. If possible, headphones available at a Canadian Best Buy or something similar because I don't want to order online.

Thanks!

Feb 5, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #1,349 of 29,490
Hi, this is my first post here, but I've been lurking for a coupla' years. I'm looking for some headphones to wear at work.

Recently, I brought my Grado RS1i headphones to work as a test to see if I could still hear the telephones and if I could hold conversations with coworkers without having to remove them (also to see if any "higher-ups" would complain about it
tongue_smile.gif
). I found that they work nicely in my environment. At lower volumes (using my Sansa Clip) it's like having speakers softly playing in the background. People can get my attention, I can have conversations, they sound good, and most importantly, the "higher-ups" don't seem to give a crap if I wear them.

I don't feel comfortable bringing my RS1i's to work everyday and I'm thinking of purchasing a pair of the lower end Grados. Am I right in assuming that the SR60i or the SR80i will also sound as if they are speakers in the background? Are they the same open construction?

I'm also open to other sub-$100 suggestions anybody might have!

Thanks,
Mike

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #1,350 of 29,490

Quote:
Instead of creating another thread, I'll just post my case here.  

For the past 3 months all I've been doing is going back and forth, left and right from amp to dac, to headphones to IEMs.  There's so much to learn in the audiophile world so I come here begging for some advice.  

I currently have a pair of TF10s, HD595s, TMA-1s, and looking in purchasing a pair of SM3s.  I really enjoy bass, and enjoy all types of music from classical to dubstep; however, most of my music is 320 and just getting into FLAC (I'm on a MBP 15).  

I want to have that "moment" of pure audioecstasy.  What will make my headphones sing?  

I've thought about the following and can't quite decide what would work best for me.  

- iBasso D4.
- iBasso D10.
- NuForce Icon HDP.
- Little Dot MKIII (I don't know to much about tubes though).
- Headstage Arrow.
- Stepdance.
- Pico Slim.

I don't really mind if I can't carry it around everywhere I go, I just want to fully utilize the potential within my $500 budget.  

Please, audio-Gods, help me.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back