++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 4, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #1,291 of 29,490
Sonically I recommend the SRH-840, which would easily be driven by the e7.

However, I caution you on the comfort.  People have very mixed feelings on the comfort of this can, it would be best if you could make your way to a place to try them on.

The 840 is a good monitor and won't have any glaring weakness or bias towards any part of the spectrum, and will be great for multiple genre listening.

They're big for a portable, also (if you were thinking that route) but judging by the fact you're considering a headphone which can be driven by a desktop amp I am guessing this is okay.

Quote:

Hey guys, I am glad I found this site and great community.
I wont start a new thread because I know questions like this are here on daily basis but I need your help.
I am novice in field of better audio but I want to make good first step as I wont upgrade for some time.
I cant decide which phones/setup to buy as my first.
I was thinking about something like M50, DT770(80,250,600), DT150 (or something in price range of these +-).
I would use combo E7/E9 if its sufficient (or E7 alone, which is cheaper for me).
I like bass, but it has to be clean and not overlaping.
I want really clear and good sound to enjoy the music in more genres and also for longer listening and I need closed ones, or I prefer ( want to use them also in work but would pass it if open would be a lot better).
Hope someone could give me good advice as when I searched the threads for every phone there were pros/cons and now I am unsure what to choose.
Thank you.

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #1,292 of 29,490
Quote:

Hi Everyone,

I am completely new to all of this and have no idea where to start looking for a pair of full sized headphones, ive done plenty of research in these forums but am still unsure if it was what i was looking for. If anyone could help me that would be great, since i really dont know what goes into making a great headphone and have never owned a pair of full sized headphones before but would like to make my first pair a great starter. here are some of the things that might help you help me out
darthsmile.gif
:

- i listen primarily to  hip hop music but also listen to classical like ravel and debussey
- these headphones would be used daily for walking to class (college student) and just sitting at home listening to some music
- since i will be walking around with these i wouldnt want them leaking alot of sound but a little isnt going to kill
-they will be mostly used with my iphone 4 so i know id have to probably get an amplifier
- i would like them to look decent, good style but also not wain in the sound quality which is very important to me
- extra bass isnt key as long as it has great lows mids and highs
- basically i want something that sounds amazing but isnt ugly within my price range (150 dollars max)

as far as my research goes ive looked at the Sony MDR-XB700 (which i think look awesome, besides how massive they are), Audio Technica ATH-A700 (looks good, unsure about sound quality), Audio-Technica ATH-M50S (not too sure how i feel about the look), Sennheiser HD448 (look good unsure about the sounds quality), AKG K240MKII (just unsure about it overall), and the beyerdynamic DT 440 (unsure about the sound)

thanks in advance!
dt880smile.png

The XB700s are probably to big, and just not very good for classical.  The A700s are too fragile.  The M50s are built like tanks though.  They can handle being thrown in a backpack or whatever without a case.  The AKGs are probably too large as well.  Don't know about the Senns or Beyers.

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #1,293 of 29,490
Hi! 
So, I'm looking for my first high quality headphones for mobile (ipod) and in home use (primarily for music but potentially for movies as well).  My musical tastes are geared toward rock and alternative and branching into industrial (NIN) and some electronic.  I'm hoping for advice on which headphones to consider or any general considerations I should be aware of in my search.  Additionally, I've been considering a few pairs that a friend of mine has brought to my attention, the Phiaton MS 400 (with these I'm particularly concerned with the hassle of the y-cord, opinions?) and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S.  Any information, reviews, guidelines, comparisons, etc. between these two would prove extremely helpful.  Please feel free to suggest different pairs as well.  
oh, as for my price range, I would prefer to stay near 100 dollars but if the raise in quality is dramatic enough would be willing to spend up to the 180 for the Phiaton MS 400 or something of comparable price.   Any opinions on the worth of spending the additional money would be much appreciated as well.
Thank you again!

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #1,294 of 29,490
The MS300 has a single sided cord.

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #1,296 of 29,490

Quote:
Guys i can get sennheiser HD 600 from a friend for $150, do you think it's a good deal ? Thanks
darthsmile.gif

Yes, that is definitely a good deal.

However, to bring out the most of the HD600 though, you do need a proper amp. Without a proper amp, you might find that your $150 is better off spent on some headphone that can be powered straight from portable devices. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #1,297 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi! 
So, I'm looking for my first high quality headphones for mobile (ipod) and in home use (primarily for music but potentially for movies as well).  My musical tastes are geared toward rock and alternative and branching into industrial (NIN) and some electronic.  I'm hoping for advice on which headphones to consider or any general considerations I should be aware of in my search.  Additionally, I've been considering a few pairs that a friend of mine has brought to my attention, the Phiaton MS 400 (with these I'm particularly concerned with the hassle of the y-cord, opinions?) and the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S.  Any information, reviews, guidelines, comparisons, etc. between these two would prove extremely helpful.  Please feel free to suggest different pairs as well.  
oh, as for my price range, I would prefer to stay near 100 dollars but if the raise in quality is dramatic enough would be willing to spend up to the 180 for the Phiaton MS 400 or something of comparable price.   Any opinions on the worth of spending the additional money would be much appreciated as well.
Thank you again!

Welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet.

You can't go too wrong with what your friend has. The Phiaton MS400 and ATH-M50S are pretty good cans and bang for the buck. Here's a quick review on Phiaton MS400 by Armaegis. You will find copious info and reviews on M50 right here in head-fi too.

You should also take a look at Headfonia's Closed Cans Shootout, where they put closed cans that would work pretty well straight off portal devices into comparison. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #1,298 of 29,490

Quote:
After having tried many IEMs in the past I have a feeling that a headphone ought to better satisfy my requirements. I want something which has natural sounding lush mids, good weighty bass with depth that extends low (good sub-bass), excellent 3D soundstage and decent treble (shouldn't be sibilant or Edgy) and maybe with some timbre as well.

The Fischer Audio FA002W got me interested but they are out of my budget. Im considering Fischer Audio FA002 or a used Denon AH-D5000..

Mids are actually the D5000's weak spot imo.  Comparing them to my other headphones, guitars and vocals are noticeably recessed, which is unfortunate because they're good to great in all the other features you list (strong bass, great soundstage for closed headphones, good treble that is not excessive like D7000).  SRH840 are more balanced across frequencies, but have much smaller soundstage.  You might have to sacrifice somewhere.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #1,300 of 29,490
Hi i am new here, I joined because i love music and have decided to upgrade to a better pair of headphones.

Only problem is i have no clue what kind to get. So can someone help me out.
The ones i have now are $20 JVC HAS150BX. And those are the best i have ever had. So really anything would be a improvement.

Ok here's what I'm looking for.

My price is around $100. Yeah i know im poor.

I listen to every kind of music but here's a few of my favorite singers and bands.
Blue Oyster Cult
Billie Holiday
Billy Joel
Bob Dylan
creedence Clearwater Revival
Daft Punk
Electric Light Orchestra
George thorogood
Nightwish
Slipknot
Tommy James & the Shondells
Harry Belafonte
Any headphones that can make there songs sound a lot better would be great.

I listen to music on my computer most of the time with FLAC file type, But also on my ipod and my record player.

Don't care about looks or if there comfortable but i hate ear buds.

Any help is welcomed.
Thank you.

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #1,301 of 29,490
Hello,

I'm new and don't know much about headphones, but love Head-Fi (and yes you guys have taken my wallet!). I am looking for a decent full sized headphones that meet these requirements:

1. $50 or under.
2. Good bass that has a thump but not overpowering (I have meelectronic m6 for that)
3. I want to feel like its all around me (from what I understanding, soundstage is the key?)
4. I want to be able to clearly hear the different beats in electronica, or the different instruments in rock/folk/world music)

I just bought the Koss UR-55 and enjoy them (pleasantly surprised with The Knife Silent Shout with the UR-55), but they don't fit great, they don't all the way around my ears and was wondering if there is anything else out there in that price range. I have the xb300 (feels nice sound awful), M6 and portapro. I like the overall sound of the portapro the best, but looking for a full-sized and better. 

Also I wear glasses and I also have hearing aids, which I'd like to be able to wear when listening to music, but it isn't a must (I haven't had a set yet that allows me to wear the hearing aids)

Thanks for the help!

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #1,302 of 29,490
Hello, 

I'm looking for a pair of headphones, and don't really know where to start. I generally listen to, hip hop/indie music mainly, basic my requirements are as follows:

1. Comfort - most important thing, a pair i could fall asleep in sitting up which don't cause too much discomfort
2. Design - looking for a subtle on ear design that isn't too loud (no bright colours etc.)
3. Audio - currently just using the apple headphones and just want better sound 
4. Price range - around $200 is fine

Pretty much i've been looking at Boses OE model,and was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions 

Cheers for any help

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #1,303 of 29,490
im looking for very good headphones around $100 NOT $200.my mind was set on senn hd-555 but i kept reading about its bad bass even though the rest is great so what are your opinions.
i know that there good headphones by audio techs but i dont know much detail about them.

i lisntin mostly to songs almost to heavy rock (songs that are used to max out while lifting weights )

anywhere from
sick puppies
disturbed
Godsmack

if your going to help me please quote my post so i know to read it and wont miss it.

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #1,304 of 29,490

@darkmellow JVC-HARX700 for $35 I found sounds better than the much loved Denon D2000s. Great all-rounder, good sound stage and comfortable. I sold the Denon and still to this day use and enjoy the RX700s, great for just plugging into my home theatre without the need for a dedicated amp.

@alterndog Sony-XB500 for $50 is unbeatable for electronic music, this is a big step up from the XB300. From here the next best headphone is an Ultrasone which will need an amp... then you're looking at $400+ ~ For what it's worth I sold the Ultrasone and kept the Sony XB500.

@hazeyz I find hip hop warrants fat bass while indie wants a clean mid-range. As above the JVC-HARX700 is the best all-rouder until you step up to say a well amped Sennheiser HD600/Beyerdynamic DT880 and then you're looking at $250 for the headphone + amp. Audio Technica ATH-M50 is another popular do-it-all that works fine without an amp.

@jedichampion Grado sr60 hand down for any type of rock, these are in your face/forward sounding cans! If you're working out they will fall off your head in which case I'd suggest IEMs.

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #1,305 of 29,490

Quote:

@darkmellow JVC-HARX700 for $35 I found sounds better than the much loved Denon D2000s. Great all-rounder, good sound stage and comfortable. I sold the Denon and still to this day use and enjoy the RX700s, great for just plugging into my home theatre without the need for a dedicated amp.

@alterndog Sony-XB500 for $50 is unbeatable for electronic music, this is a big step up from the XB300. From here the next best headphone is an Ultrasone which will need an amp... then you're looking at $400+ ~ For what it's worth I sold the Ultrasone and kept the Sony XB500.

@hazeyz I find hip hop warrants fat bass while indie wants a clean mid-range. As above the JVC-HARX700 is the best all-rouder until you step up to say a well amped Sennheiser HD600/Beyerdynamic DT880 and then you're looking at $250 for the headphone + amp. Audio Technica ATH-M50 is another popular do-it-all that works fine without an amp.

@jedichampion Grado sr60 hand down for any type of rock, these are in your face/forward sounding cans! If you're working out they will fall off your head in which case I'd suggest IEMs.

sry i forgot to mention that i wanted a headphone with minimal sound leakesh 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back