++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 4, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #1,276 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
After having tried many IEMs in the past I have a feeling that a headphone ought to better satisfy my requirements. I want something which has natural sounding lush mids, good weighty bass with depth that extends low (good sub-bass), excellent 3D soundstage and decent treble (shouldn't be sibilant or Edgy) and maybe with some timbre as well.

The Fischer Audio FA002W got me interested but they are out of my budget. Im considering Fischer Audio FA002 or a used Denon AH-D5000.

And please suggest keeping in mind that the $280 budget should include international shipping charges as well.
Also I want isolation so suggest only closed cans, and I do not have any amp and if its more feasible for me to buy an amp then suggest one within the $280 budget including the cost of an headphone. I cannot spend more than that.

Hmm... are you sure D5000 is within your budget? And D5000 will benefit greatly from an amp, which will put you way and above your $280 budget.

I suggest getting ATH-M50s. It would kill your budget and would give you an good introduction to headphone. It has rather good bass, and decent mids too. Should fit your bill. Work well without amp too!

I had thought of M50, but thought that I might get something better considering my budget and also mids are really important to me - The very reason Im not satisfied with my UE TF10 and want to upgrade.

Also I know D5k arent in my budget, that is why I said I will have to buy second-hand (used)

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #1,277 of 29,490
Alright, back to the beginning.  Seemingly I still have no idea. 

My Problem is that I begin to loathe the veiled, dull heights on my HD25 and as my musical variety has shifted since I bought them am looking for getting that fixed without spending a fortune. Hm, what is important to me... I hae heard several cans described by others as being "warm" - and hated them instantly. I also tried the K701 of a close relative for quite a while (and yes, it was driven from a fitting amp, the man has a rhinelander) and disliked it for being flat at the lower end. No punch, no forward precision. The soundstage is not that important, A bit less "in the head" compared to the HD25 would be a nice bonus. I searched and looked and read - and still have absolutely no Idea. I knew of the HD25's dissatisfying heights when buying it- but as I listened to metal and electronica mostly then that was in myopinion alright and the fabulous punch and energy seemed to compensate. Nowadays I find myself enjoying classics and jarr to a much greater degree then when I bought it andam thus looking into... well, imagine a crossbreed between the HD25 and the K701, there you have it. As for grado: They seem to me as a somewhat exclusive non-EU-thing. Ridiculously overpriced here, an SR-60 goes for 139€ in germany. AlsoI was looking into something that was more capable for extended listening (and compatible with myhated glasses), so again:grado's out. Beyers seemed the choice of the moment, but still... I've no idea.  

Budget...well... I'd hate to buy an amp, my Xonar should suffice. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #1,278 of 29,490
Fortunately, you live in Germany, because I think Beyerdynamic or Ultrasone is your brand.

Both of them are quite cool, the Ultrasone Pro 750 so much so that I sold them.  Beyers tend to have great treble.  The DT150 has a nice amount of high-end punch without being strident, and has tons of bass at the bottom.  If you want to give open cans a try, the DT990 might be just what you're looking for--you can try the Pro/250 if the premiums cost too much.  I haven't heard the DT770/Pro 80, but that might be an even better choice if you want to head to the extremes of cool with nice treble and bass.  If you want to keep a relatively balanced signature but want the Beyer treble, the DT250 is also an exceptional sounding pair of headphones.

Quote:
Alright, back to the beginning.  Seemingly I still have no idea. 

My Problem is that I begin to loathe the veiled, dull heights on my HD25 and as my musical variety has shifted since I bought them am looking for getting that fixed without spending a fortune. Hm, what is important to me... I hae heard several cans described by others as being "warm" - and hated them instantly. I also tried the K701 of a close relative for quite a while (and yes, it was driven from a fitting amp, the man has a rhinelander) and disliked it for being flat at the lower end. No punch, no forward precision. The soundstage is not that important, A bit less "in the head" compared to the HD25 would be a nice bonus. I searched and looked and read - and still have absolutely no Idea. I knew of the HD25's dissatisfying heights when buying it- but as I listened to metal and electronica mostly then that was in myopinion alright and the fabulous punch and energy seemed to compensate. Nowadays I find myself enjoying classics and jarr to a much greater degree then when I bought it andam thus looking into... well, imagine a crossbreed between the HD25 and the K701, there you have it. As for grado: They seem to me as a somewhat exclusive non-EU-thing. Ridiculously overpriced here, an SR-60 goes for 139€ in germany. AlsoI was looking into something that was more capable for extended listening (and compatible with myhated glasses), so again:grado's out. Beyers seemed the choice of the moment, but still... I've no idea.  

Budget...well... I'd hate to buy an amp, my Xonar should suffice. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #1,279 of 29,490

Quote:
I had thought of M50, but thought that I might get something better considering my budget and also mids are really important to me - The very reason Im not satisfied with my UE TF10 and want to upgrade.

Also I know D5k arent in my budget, that is why I said I will have to buy second-hand (used)

Getting used headphone is a good way to learn about the art of head-fi. Even if it is a wrong choice, your economical loss will not be as significant.

However, do consider not spending every single cent from your budget. Being new to full-sized cans, you might not even like the feel of the can covering your ears. That's why do consider M50. There is no better entry-level phones that can represent hint at the capacity of the full-sized cans. 

If you are determined on spending more though, do consider the three cans that people raved about in the past (at least when I first started out) : Senn HD650, DT880 and AKG K701. There's a nice write-up on these three cans on the first page of this thread. 4700 words of goodness too! :D

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #1,280 of 29,490

Quote:
Fortunately, you live in Germany, because I think Beyerdynamic or Ultrasone is your brand.

Both of them are quite cool, the Ultrasone Pro 750 so much so that I sold them.  Beyers tend to have great treble.  The DT150 has a nice amount of high-end punch without being strident, and has tons of bass at the bottom.  If you want to give open cans a try, the DT990 might be just what you're looking for--you can try the Pro/250 if the premiums cost too much.  I haven't heard the DT770/Pro 80, but that might be an even better choice if you want to head to the extremes of cool with nice treble and bass.  If you want to keep a relatively balanced signature but want the Beyer treble, the DT250 is also an exceptional sounding pair of headphones.

DT150...hm, I had that  one on my  list when I bought  the HD25. Had no possibility to test them, despite being cheaper. I honestly don't care wether they're open or closed, I want something for home use (or places where it's quiet enough) anyways. And at 139€ they're a bargain if they do as the reviews I found promise. From what I read here they are what I'm looking for. Well, I'm going to search and read some more. This forum is addictive, you should have a warning label. 

Edit: This suggests the DT150 being more like what I'm searching for than the DT880-2003. also I read here it "nukes" the HD25 - methinks I've found my new headphones! And at a bargain, **** yeah! 

Edit 2: This review sealed the deal, I'll order them from thomann on monday. Thanks a lot for the input, I'll post feedback after I had time to listen and the "burn-in"-question is answered. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #1,281 of 29,490
just a quick question guys...what if I want the opposite of the k271s.(have them,want something different)Explaining:
bass going veeery low,muuuuch more bass,somewhat cheaper and much smaller.
something like the hippo vb signature sound(want es7 but its difficult to find here)

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #1,282 of 29,490
I've scoured the webs and can't find any so maybe you guys can help.

Any idea where I can buy Audio Technica AD700s that will ship to Canada?

Or is my best bet to get someone from the States to ship to me?

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #1,283 of 29,490

Quote:
I've scoured the webs and can't find any so maybe you guys can help.

Any idea where I can buy Audio Technica AD700s that will ship to Canada?

Or is my best bet to get someone from the States to ship to me?

Would this do?

"Shipping Destinations

Adorama ships throughout the U.S., Canada and to over 200 countries worldwide. Please see the country listing on the checkout page."

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #1,284 of 29,490

Yea, I am really not sure if I want to even pull the trigger just to test them out like I usually do.  It is kind of like a pre fail for me in too many areas.  While I am sure the 10 sounds amazing in terms of quality, I've never heard anyone describe the stage as vast, spacious and immersing.  That coupled with on ear pads makes it a 'no go" for me :[
Thanks for the info on it, I'll have to shop around for something else
Quote:
I found them very comfortable but I remember that you don't like supra style headphones. The soft leather was very comfortable for me through hours of studies, but I don't mind supracircumaural headphones. The sub bass is more prominent from neutral which is an aspect that affected it's warm, upfront sound sig.  However, they are not even close to being able to satisfying a basshead. The soundstage is better than most for it's size.

It's sound sig is basically the exact same sound sig of the W11JPN, but a little more upfront soundstage, more treble, and less sub bass response. My non-discerning friends could not tell the difference between the W11JPN and the ESW10JPN. They were just amazed that the ESW10JPN sounded so much like the W11JPN but in a small package.

Quote:
ive never listened to them, the reviews said it was bass heavy, uncomfortable and did not have a stage size that reflected its price

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #1,285 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

I was wondering what headphones would be good for hip-hop/rap and some rock for $100 (max would probably be $120). I currently have the HD595, but I am thinking of returning them to amazon. I am not sure why I don't like them, they just sound "okay" to me. Love the comfort though. Thinking of getting the M50 or the Denon D1100, what do you guys suggest? Thanks.

For rap and hip-hop you'll probably want something with more bass.  The M50s or D1100 should do better.  Either will have quite a bit more bass.  I know the M50s won't be as comfortable since I used to own them, but I've never tried the D1100s so I can't give you any specifics.  The M50s
have deep and punchy bass that doesn't overwhelm everything else in rock and metal.

Quote:
Quote:
The px200? It looks lovely on her...

Besides, you're sure that is a her LOL

Guess my avatar's gender.

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #1,286 of 29,490
I'm looking for a set of cans, preferably open circumaural, that costs sub $115. I've owned a pair of Sennheiser HD555s for about 4-5 years now and I blew the left ear last week because I played 'em too loud, too quickly when they were very cold which cause a minor crack which makes them sound like crap at anything over low volumes. I was considering just repurchasing them because I like their overall sound but I decided I wanted a bit more bass in a headphone with similar qualities to that of the HD555s. Additionally, I'll only purchase new headphones - though I don't mind the occasional ebay bargain.I listen a lot to techno but want a reasonable sound stage for gaming. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #1,287 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm looking for a set of cans, preferably open circumaural, that costs sub $115. I've owned a pair of Sennheiser HD555s for about 4-5 years now and I blew the left ear last week because I played 'em too loud, too quickly when they were very cold which cause a minor crack which makes them sound like crap at anything over low volumes. I was considering just repurchasing them because I like their overall sound but I decided I wanted a bit more bass in a headphone with similar qualities to that of the HD555s. Additionally, I'll only purchase new headphones - though I don't mind the occasional ebay bargain.I listen a lot to techno but want a reasonable sound stage for gaming. 

You might want to look at the Senn HD518s.  I've never heard them, but =2841&graphID[1]=563&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones]the graphs say they've got more bass than the 555s.  They're a hair out of your price range too.

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #1,289 of 29,490

Hi Everyone,

I am completely new to all of this and have no idea where to start looking for a pair of full sized headphones, ive done plenty of research in these forums but am still unsure if it was what i was looking for. If anyone could help me that would be great, since i really dont know what goes into making a great headphone and have never owned a pair of full sized headphones before but would like to make my first pair a great starter. here are some of the things that might help you help me out
darthsmile.gif
:

- i listen primarily to  hip hop music but also listen to classical like ravel and debussey

- these headphones would be used daily for walking to class (college student) and just sitting at home listening to some music

- since i will be walking around with these i wouldnt want them leaking alot of sound but a little isnt going to kill

-they will be mostly used with my iphone 4 so i know id have to probably get an amplifier

- i would like them to look decent, good style but also not wain in the sound quality which is very important to me

- extra bass isnt key as long as it has great lows mids and highs

- basically i want something that sounds amazing but isnt ugly within my price range (150 dollars max)

as far as my research goes ive looked at the Sony MDR-XB700 (which i think look awesome, besides how massive they are), Audio Technica ATH-A700 (looks good, unsure about sound quality), Audio-Technica ATH-M50S (not too sure how i feel about the look), Sennheiser HD448 (look good unsure about the sounds quality), AKG K240MKII (just unsure about it overall), and the beyerdynamic DT 440 (unsure about the sound)

thanks in advance!
dt880smile.png

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #1,290 of 29,490
I picked up the ATH-A700 and ATH-M50 and am trying to decide between the two. This issue is that I am currently building an AMB DAC (gamma 1&2) and amp (mini3) and I'm not sure I will be finished with them before I need to return the cans I do not want to keep. So I am trying to get an idea of how each of these cans will respond to a DAC/amp combo. I realize neither of them require an amp but I wanted the DAC so decided to go with an amp as well. 

I've noticed, like others have posted, that the A700's have better soundstage and highs compared to the M50's. Conversely, the M50's have better bass than the A700's. Will the addition of the amp improve the bass on the A700's? Will the amp improve the highs on the M50's?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back