++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 3, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #1,261 of 29,490
You might check out the Audio Technica W series (e.g. W1000x/W5000) series headphones, which have a reputation for decent mids and soundstage without overwhelming bass.  The first and third features would be improvements over D5000.

Quote:
I am in the market for closed headphones in so I has listen without disturbing other family members.  My price range is $300- $500 and I listen to classical music and vocals using a Transporter and a Larocco amp.  I value a good smooth midrange and bass is not as important. Any ideas other than the Denon D5000s - thanks. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #1,262 of 29,490
I dumbed my budget down to around $350 for a portable set that will not be amped.  I fear the Esw10 due to it having too much bass and comfort issues but I really cant think of anything else with a large soundstage in a small portable set. Any recommendations?

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #1,263 of 29,490
You think the ESW10JPN has too much bass??? They're warm headphones but not basshead headphones by any means. They are warm with vocal crispy-ness.

I won't call ATH ES10 basshead headphones either, but can reach that point easier than the ESW10JPN.

Quote:
I dumbed my budget down to around $350 for a portable set that will not be amped.  I fear the Esw10 due to it having too much bass and comfort issues but I really cant think of anything else with a large soundstage in a small portable set. Any recommendations?

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #1,265 of 29,490
I found them very comfortable but I remember that you don't like supra style headphones. The soft leather was very comfortable for me through hours of studies, but I don't mind supracircumaural headphones. The sub bass is more prominent from neutral which is an aspect that affected it's warm, upfront sound sig.  However, they are not even close to being able to satisfying a basshead. The soundstage is better than most for it's size.

It's sound sig is basically the exact same sound sig of the W11JPN, but a little more upfront soundstage, more treble, and less sub bass response. My non-discerning friends could not tell the difference between the W11JPN and the ESW10JPN. They were just amazed that the ESW10JPN sounded so much like the W11JPN but in a small package.

Quote:
ive never listened to them, the reviews said it was bass heavy, uncomfortable and did not have a stage size that reflected its price

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #1,266 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I was wondering what headphones would be good for hip-hop/rap and some rock for $100 (max would probably be $120). I currently have the HD595, but I am thinking of returning them to amazon. I am not sure why I don't like them, they just sound "okay" to me. Love the comfort though. Thinking of getting the M50 or the Denon D1100, what do you guys suggest? Thanks.

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #1,267 of 29,490
I'm looking to upgrade my headphones.. Looking for a pair that will definitely fit my head.

To wear my SR80is comfortably, they have to be extended all the way. My MDR-V6 are comfortable at 11 (all the way, again). Am I just lucky that these 'phones are large or do these just run a bit small? At Canjam I tried on a pair of Qualias and the drivers were pointed at my temples.. I'm looking at the MDR-F1, among others. Will those fit someone who needs a Grado Prestige fully extended? 

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #1,268 of 29,490

Hey guys, I am glad I found this site and great community.
I wont start a new thread because I know questions like this are here on daily basis but I need your help.
I am novice in field of better audio but I want to make good first step as I wont upgrade for some time.
I cant decide which phones/setup to buy as my first.
I was thinking about something like M50, DT770(80,250,600), DT150 (or something in price range of these +-).
I would use combo E7/E9 if its sufficient (or E7 alone, which is cheaper for me).
I like bass, but it has to be clean and not overlaping.
I want really clear and good sound to enjoy the music in more genres and also for longer listening and I need closed ones, or I prefer ( want to use them also in work but would pass it if open would be a lot better).
Hope someone could give me good advice as when I searched the threads for every phone there were pros/cons and now I am unsure what to choose.
Thank you.

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #1,272 of 29,490

Quote:
Does it sound better than PX100? I checked the around the forum and people still prefer PX100 T_T !!! And are there any differences between PX 200 and PX 200 II??? Besides, you're sure that is a her LOL

You have problem with flat-chested gals? 

Here's a site comparing the difference between the PXs: http://www.dansdata.com/3senns.htm

Can't help you much cos I'd never used Senn headphone. LOL. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #1,273 of 29,490
After having tried many IEMs in the past I have a feeling that a headphone ought to better satisfy my requirements. I want something which has natural sounding lush mids, good weighty bass with depth that extends low (good sub-bass), excellent 3D soundstage and decent treble (shouldn't be sibilant or Edgy) and maybe with some timbre as well.

The Fischer Audio FA002W got me interested but they are out of my budget. Im considering Fischer Audio FA002 or a used Denon AH-D5000.

Is there something better that I could consider getting for myself?
My Source: Sandisk Fuze

And please suggest keeping in mind that the $280 budget should include international shipping charges as well.
Also I want isolation so suggest only closed cans, and I do not have any amp and if its more feasible for me to buy an amp then suggest one within the $280 budget including the cost of an headphone. I cannot spend more than that.

P.S Sorry for creating that thread, I saw this thread only after I had made that thread

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #1,275 of 29,490

Quote:
After having tried many IEMs in the past I have a feeling that a headphone ought to better satisfy my requirements. I want something which has natural sounding lush mids, good weighty bass with depth that extends low (good sub-bass), excellent 3D soundstage and decent treble (shouldn't be sibilant or Edgy) and maybe with some timbre as well.

The Fischer Audio FA002W got me interested but they are out of my budget. Im considering Fischer Audio FA002 or a used Denon AH-D5000.

And please suggest keeping in mind that the $280 budget should include international shipping charges as well.
Also I want isolation so suggest only closed cans, and I do not have any amp and if its more feasible for me to buy an amp then suggest one within the $280 budget including the cost of an headphone. I cannot spend more than that.

Hmm... are you sure D5000 is within your budget? And D5000 will benefit greatly from an amp, which will put you way and above your $280 budget.

I suggest getting ATH-M50s. It would kill your budget and would give you an good introduction to headphone. It has rather good bass, and decent mids too. Should fit your bill. Work well without amp too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back