++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 2, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #1,231 of 29,490
Hi, I've been looking to get new phones for a budget of $120.

I was thinking of the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S headphones for $110. Is this a good buy?

I do a lot of running with headphones, so I'd like to get ones that won't make noise while I run. I guess that's all my criteria, other than the obvious need of the best sound quality for the money I can spend.

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #1,233 of 29,490
Greetings Head-Fi,

I'm relatively new to the audio scene and while I wouldn't quite classify myself as a full-blown audiophile, I do appreciate nice sound. I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones that will give me that good sound I'm looking for. I've been combing these forums for the past few weeks and all the posts are very informative. However, I couldn't find any threads that met my desires specifically, so if you have any recommendations that meet the following criteria, I'd appreciate it.

--Price range of $300ish and under (although I don't necessarily need to spend that much money, so if you have any solid recommendations for $100, I would love to hear them)
--No preamp required (I move around frequently and would like to use the headphones while in transit)
--Primary output will be my iPhone 4 and/or laptop
--Low or no sound leakage (I often use the headphones in quiet areas where it would be rude to leak sound)
--Works well with a wide range of music (including techno, classical, hip hop, classic rock, etc)
--Solid bass

(As a note, I was previously considering the M50's as a great fit for me, but I read they had substantial sound leakage. If you know of any phones like the M50's but with less leakage, those would probably be a great fit)

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #1,234 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I've been looking to get new phones for a budget of $120.

I was thinking of the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S headphones for $110. Is this a good buy?

I do a lot of running with headphones, so I'd like to get ones that won't make noise while I run. I guess that's all my criteria, other than the obvious need of the best sound quality for the money I can spend.

Those aren't gonna stay on your head while you're running.  You'll need some kind of clip-on/sport type thing.  I don't really know what to recommend in that area.

Quote:
Greetings Head-Fi,

I'm relatively new to the audio scene and while I wouldn't quite classify myself as a full-blown audiophile, I do appreciate nice sound. I'm in the market for a new pair of headphones that will give me that good sound I'm looking for. I've been combing these forums for the past few weeks and all the posts are very informative. However, I couldn't find any threads that met my desires specifically, so if you have any recommendations that meet the following criteria, I'd appreciate it.

--Price range of $300ish and under (although I don't necessarily need to spend that much money, so if you have any solid recommendations for $100, I would love to hear them)
--No preamp required (I move around frequently and would like to use the headphones while in transit)
--Low or no sound leakage (I often use the headphones in quiet areas where it would be rude to leak sound)
--Works well with a wide range of music (including techno, classical, hip hop, classic rock, etc)
--Solid bass

(As a note, I was previously considering the M50's as a great fit for me, but I read they had substantial sound leakage. If you know of any phones like the M50's but with less leakage, those would probably be a great fit)

I don't know who said the M50s leak, but they have to be listening at insane volumes.  They're fine at any level that won't make you go deaf inside a year.

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #1,235 of 29,490
I just ordered the relatively new Sennheiser PX 360, and I hear the detail is great and the bass is a tad "emphasized, yet tamed as to not intrude on the mids".

I have also heard the passive isolation is great, and seem VERY portable.

These should show up tomorrow, I will let you know!

I got mine for ~150.  We'll see how they fare against the seemingly beloved entry-ish level can of head-fi: ATH-M50

Edit: I am quite a fan of the Sennheiser HD 448 for an inexpensive portable... and honestly isolates quite well.

Older, somewhat outdated impressions:http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd448-around-the-ear-headphones/reviews#4486

I plan on updating this soon once I can compare them up against some others.  Feel free to ask more about them.  Lows might be too weak unamped...
Quote:
Greetings Head-Fi,

--Solid bass

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #1,237 of 29,490
I am relatively new to high quality headphones. Right now, i have the Sennheiser HD555 for a good pair of open headphones mostly for use at home. what would be a good pair of closed headphones? I have been looking at the ATH M50s. Although i love the Sennheiser brand, I think i would like to try a different brand of headphones. What are your suggestions for a pair of closed headphones?

So some questions i have are:

What are some good pairs of closed headphones for around $100? (i really just want some headphones to compare)

What is the average price for a used pair of ATH M50s?

What headphones do you recommend for traveling?

Are there any headphones that you really think i should have (closed or open)?

Thanks,
Duheee

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #1,238 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

Hey guys, i'm currently looking for some new headphones, i want the BEST sounding headphones without an amp.... it's most likely going to be used for music and a bit of gaming .. My budget is 300-500$. Thanks!

If you're settled on going unamped you could go with the main-stays SRH-840 or M50 / HD-25 may also be a good option.  Read about them on this thread.

If I had to go unamped I would go with high end universal IEMs over these ^ lower-tier headphones, in my opinion, I'd get more sound for my dollar that way.

All that said though, and if you don't mind being confined to your listening area with a full-size desktop dac & amp then I would recommend HD600s with a combo dac & amp like the E7/E9 or NFB-12.  (Doable around your budget.)  You will get the most sound for your dollar this way, but of course with compromises: portability, etc.  Edit: I've heard beyers are excellent for music & gaming.

^ this.  I will add that open headphones sound better to my ears than closed, so would add Grado SR225 with flat/comfie pads to cut the treble.  They're ok without an amp.  But HD600 shine in many areas the Grados don't- tonal balance, smooth highs, soundstage.  The Grados are cheap enough that you should also get an inexpensive , warm dac like a uDac when listening out your computer so that you could actually make use of the headphone capabilities and play quality source material.

Quote:
To add on .. I need some headphones that sound great straight out of an ipod , computer, or TV.. again, limit is 300-500$

^ then you will fall far short the BEST (sounding) headphones for your budget.  Akin to putting bicycle tires on a sportscar.   sphinxvc's suggestion for an amp/dac + HD600 will get you there.

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #1,239 of 29,490
What is the difference between the Denon 1001s and the d1100s?

Also, how do those compare to the ATH-M50s?

Thanks, Duheee

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #1,240 of 29,490
I recently got the D1100 and found it to be significantly more bassy.  The quality of the bass is better on the D1001, but there is a lot less.  The D1100 are bass monsters and have potent, poweful, thick and hard hitting bass.  The d1001 has a nicer balance and is much more forgiving.  The d1100 has harsh highs

I dont think its an improvement, sound quality is similar and might be a little better on the D1100.  The d1100 is closer to the M50 than the D1001, due mostly to the powerful bass.  I think in terms of sound quality both are similar and too close to call, however the D1100 is smaller and has 50mm drivers, but the stage isnt as wide, but it is deeper :)

hope that helps

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #1,241 of 29,490
Hey, this is a great thread :)

I am new to high quality headphones but I need some to help me with my music production.  I've been researching endlessly for the past week in these forums trying to make a good decision, but options are so varied and opinions so differing.  I thought I'd lay out my needs here and hope an experienced user could help me decide on a purchase.  Here are my specifications: 

Budget: $500 or a little more max for any combination of headphone/amp/dac 
Very eclectic listening: So many things Avant-garde jazz, main-stream hip-hop, screamo, experimental pop, you name it, I'm a serious musician with a serious love for many kinds of music
Main use: To monitor music that I produce in Logic Pro 9, mostly centered around experimental electro-acoustic music, but also hip-hop beats and rock songs.
Portability: I've been looking at many amp/dac combo's because the point of getting headphones over monitors is that I can whip out my laptop wherever I am and work on my music.  I want one portable box and one great set of headphones paired to it.

One combo I have considered, since the nature of the music I will be working with will be so variant in frequency range and importance of different frequency ranges, Is the AKG 70x's (known for a balanced frequency response) paired with the iBasso D10 cobra.  Both of these items I have read are incredible for their value, and them together fits right into my $500 price range ($266 for headphones plus $245 for combo).  However, I'm worried about their compatibility, since I have read that the 70x's are very difficult to drive to their potential.  

Help would be very much appreciated!! thanks!

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #1,242 of 29,490
Ok, if you're looking for fairly versatile headphones that you can use for gaming + music + movies, do NOT need to be amped, and do NOT need portability, you could do a lot worse than the Audio Technica A900. This is a closed can. I know a guy who bought a pair and used it through most of his college life and was very happy with them; he had friends who played a fair bit of FPS say that they had great positional audio.

If your budget is lower than those, the consensus on this forum is to go for JVC's HA-RX700 and 900--the design is certainly very similar, though I don't know how those 2 models compare.

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #1,243 of 29,490
Hi there,
looking for help on behalf of my brother. He works professionally with music and has been using Etymotic ER-4 in-ear headsets for editing tracks. this is a very demanding and weary process which takes quite a lot of time. He says he can't stand the in-ear headphones any more so he's asking what kind of headphone he should look for. Here is what he needs:
  1. It has to be ruthlessly revealing and neutral without having to mod it.
  2. It should have tons of detail, but tonal balance should be as close to perfect as possible. Tonal balance is very important.
  3. It should also be comfortable in order to make long hours of usage possible.
  4. I imagine that a closed headphone would be best, since it would cancel some noise.
Source is Macbook with external M-Audio Pro.
Budget is not the greatest issue, but good cost/benefit is always welcome.
Thanks for your help in advance
best regards
André

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #1,244 of 29,490
Hello!
I am looking into buying my first pair of nice headphones, but at this point am a bit of a headphone noob.  I'm hoping to spend no more than about $200.  I listen to mostly rock, but also occasionally pop, country, techno, and metal.  I will use them while traveling and in public places, so I'm looking for blocking outside noise and portability (don't have to be too small).  I am imagining over-ear headphones, but am always open to advice!  It seems the HD25s are highly recommended, would those be a good choice for me?
Thanks!

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #1,245 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey, this is a great thread :)

I am new to high quality headphones but I need some to help me with my music production.  I've been researching endlessly for the past week in these forums trying to make a good decision, but options are so varied and opinions so differing.  I thought I'd lay out my needs here and hope an experienced user could help me decide on a purchase.  Here are my specifications: 

Budget: $500 or a little more max for any combination of headphone/amp/dac 
Very eclectic listening: So many things Avant-garde jazz, main-stream hip-hop, screamo, experimental pop, you name it, I'm a serious musician with a serious love for many kinds of music
Main use: To monitor music that I produce in Logic Pro 9, mostly centered around experimental electro-acoustic music, but also hip-hop beats and rock songs.
Portability: I've been looking at many amp/dac combo's because the point of getting headphones over monitors is that I can whip out my laptop wherever I am and work on my music.  I want one portable box and one great set of headphones paired to it.

One combo I have considered, since the nature of the music I will be working with will be so variant in frequency range and importance of different frequency ranges, Is the AKG 70x's (known for a balanced frequency response) paired with the iBasso D10 cobra.  Both of these items I have read are incredible for their value, and them together fits right into my $500 price range ($266 for headphones plus $245 for combo).  However, I'm worried about their compatibility, since I have read that the 70x's are very difficult to drive to their potential.  

Help would be very much appreciated!! thanks!

As you musician, will you be doing any sort of recording? That greatly alters the type of dac you will be looking for.

The K701 are decent for monitoring, but super fussy with amps and I did not like it very much with my D10. The K701 is also not portable at all, and is an open design which is lousy for any monitoring duty unless you're in a proper studio.

I would recommend something like the M-Audio Q40 or Sony MDR-7506 or V6 which fold up super compact (the 7509 is reportedly a step up, but I don't know if it collapses or not) and have a relatively flat frequency response (though the Q40 has a bass hump). They are both also easy to drive, making the choice of amp less crucial.

Now back to the dac/amp, do you need one that can be battery powered or will you be using it exclusively with a computer?

Quote:
Hi there,
looking for help on behalf of my brother. He works professionally with music and has been using Etymotic ER-4 in-ear headsets for editing tracks. this is a very demanding and weary process which takes quite a lot of time. He says he can't stand the in-ear headphones any more so he's asking what kind of headphone he should look for. Here is what he needs:
  1. It has to be ruthlessly revealing and neutral without having to mod it.
  2. It should have tons of detail, but tonal balance should be as close to perfect as possible. Tonal balance is very important.
  3. It should also be comfortable in order to make long hours of usage possible.
  4. I imagine that a closed headphone would be best, since it would cancel some noise.
Source is Macbook with external M-Audio Pro.
Budget is not the greatest issue, but good cost/benefit is always welcome.
Thanks for your help in advance
best regards
André

Several of my points above apply here as wel.

If you're working professionally, then it's good to have a few different sets of headphones (as well as studio monitors). You generally want to do your mixing/mastering on the most neutral set you have, then audition over various speakers/headphones, then go back and edit some more, etc.

The most ruthlessly revealing headphones you will ever find are the Beyerdynamic DT48. They lack in bass, but the mids and highs are frighteningly clear.

The AKG K240 is a great headphones and practically industry standard. The K270 is the closed version but doesn't sound as good to my ear.

If budget is not an issue and this is for work, then the best thing you can do is get a proper studio room with acoustic treatment and buy some full sized monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back