++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 2, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #1,216 of 29,490
I copied this from my thread, nobody is helping!

Hey guys I am looking for a headphone for heaven metal(black, death,thrash mostly)

I am Chinese and from our forum they recommended me    sr225i, sr325i, and HFI 780. 

They say 780's lows are better than sr225i's, and 325i's highs are kind of screechy.

Mainly, I am wondering how much better is sr225i or HFI 780's performance better than

my current   SE310 and ER4p?

thanks 

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #1,217 of 29,490

Quote:
Eric_C: Then why do they charge 50€ (USD70) more for it? Do you have any Idea if my X-fi (if neccessary with my "penguin caffeine amp") or even my Cowon J3 would drive that 600Ω-Version? Supposedly that one is much better than the other ones. I'm seriously thinking about ordering it from a big store I know has an excellent service regarding returns and simply testing it. Sad as that may seem I never heard any beyerdynamic, due to them being unavaillable in stores. 240€ is still a lot of money, perhaps I can get something used. Or is there an alternative? I like the HD25, I like it very much -but the upper end seems somewhat...veiled. I tried the K701 and liked it, but found there just the things lacking that the HD25  does good. Ideas?

I've never tried to power the 600Ω version with the kind of amp you're describing, so I cannot say with certainty...but I think you would be severely underpowering it. There should be a thread comparing all the beyer models; if you ask there, I'm sure they will answer these questions in more detail.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #1,218 of 29,490
Just wanted to drop a quick thanks in here - after a ton of searching and reading I picked up a pair of M50s and I couldn't be happier. This is a great forum, all the info a newbie could ever ask for is in here somewhere.

Feb 2, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #1,219 of 29,490
So I've been combing the internet and this forum to get an idea of what headphones I should be checking out.  Needless to say, I've changed my mind about a million times!

What I listen to:

Rock=40%, 
Electronica (think boards of canada and aphex twin)=30%,
Jazz(mostly guitar based jazz)=15%, and
classical(classical guitar)=15%

I've noticed that a lot of people say one brand of headphone is better for a particular genre than another.  I would like a headphone that will sound good for the genres listed above.  My budget is $150 and under so I realize finding headpones that will do what I've listed could very well be out of my price range.  In that case I'll be willing to sacrifice in some area or areas.

I'll be using these at work so comfort is a high priority, although I'll sacrifice a little comfort for sound quality.

I'd rather have open/semi-open over closed but closed cans are NOT a deal-breaker.

I would also like a headphone that does not need an amplifier.

From what I have researched, these are some of the options that I have

ATH-AD700
ATH-M50
HD555
SR60
SR80
MS-1

Thanks for your input!

-Joe

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #1,220 of 29,490

Quote:
So I'm wanting to buy a paid of headphones for DJing, Ive been told that hd-25ii's would be the best option, what are your opinions on this?? I am willing to put up to 300 dollars for them.

The HD25 and Pioneer HDJ-2000 are excellent choices. The HD25 is sturdy as a brick, supraaural, and clamps quite tightly. The Pioneer is softer (more comfortable in my opinion) and circumaural, isolation is the same, has a mono switch. Soundwise, the HD25 is dark-ish yet aggressive, while the Pioneer is more neural and monitor-like.

Quote:
Hi,

I want to buy a new headphone , Which headphone is best for Trance music Bass and soundstage ?

I like the M-Audio Q40 for that kind of music. Feed it even a little extra power from an amp and the sound really comes alive. It also has a very deep bass and immersive soundstage (for a closed can).

Quote:
I copied this from my thread, nobody is helping!

Hey guys I am looking for a headphone for heaven metal(black, death,thrash mostly)
I am Chinese and from our forum they recommended me    sr225i, sr325i, and HFI 780. 
They say 780's lows are better than sr225i's, and 325i's highs are kind of screechy.
Mainly, I am wondering how much better is sr225i or HFI 780's performance better than
my current   SE310 and ER4p?
thanks 

Well going from iems to headphones is very very different, especially if going with Grados are those are open cans and let in (and out) lots of sound; the total opposite of iems.

The 325i has a love-it-or-hate-it relationship with a lot of people, so the 225i is generally a safer bet. Also consider the Alessandro MS2 which is a slightly toned down version of the 325. The Symphones Magnum is a mod for the 325 which reportedly improves them dramatically, but I have not heard one.

The 780 is an Ultrasone can and has the S-Logic behind it which also fits in the love-it-or-hate-it category. I haven't heard the 780, but I've heard a few other ultrasones in that range and they all have the same quirky characteristics. My preference with Ultrasones is more for rock than metal (but I admittedly am not too familiar with all the subsets of metal).

My default recommendation would be the 225i or MS2. But if you want isolation of any sort, then go with the 780.

Quote:
So I've been combing the internet and this forum to get an idea of what headphones I should be checking out.  Needless to say, I've changed my mind about a million times!

What I listen to:

Rock=40%, 

I've noticed that a lot of people say one brand of headphone is better for a particular genre than another.  I would like a headphone that will sound good for the genres listed above.  My budget is $150 and under so I realize finding headpones that will do what I've listed could very well be out of my price range.  In that case I'll be willing to sacrifice in some area or areas.

I'll be using these at work so comfort is a high priority, although I'll sacrifice a little comfort for sound quality.

I'd rather have open/semi-open over closed but closed cans are NOT a deal-breaker.

I would also like a headphone that does not need an amplifier.

From what I have researched, these are some of the options that I have

ATH-AD700
ATH-M50
HD555
SR60
SR80
MS-1

Thanks for your input!

-Joe

One of my standard recommendations here is to get the Senn HD555 and do the foam mod to upgrade it to a 595.

The Grados are nice, but they are practically as loud on the outside as in so your co-workers may not be happy with you.

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #1,221 of 29,490
hi, i am in the market for a new pair of headphones. I was originally going to get the JVC HA RX700's ($33), but once i saw how large they were they seemed less attractive. Today, i came across the HD 203 ($35) as well as the ATH M35 (53), which i read up on and found to be decent headphones. However, there weren't too many reviews on the ATH M35 's and i was wondering which of the two would you guys think would be better.

I listen to a variety of music, but mostly rock.

thanks in advance.

edit: any pair below $50 would be fine, but i would prefer closed headphones as i will be listening in public places as well as my house.

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #1,222 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One of my standard recommendations here is to get the Senn HD555 and do the foam mod to upgrade it to a 595.

The Grados are nice, but they are practically as loud on the outside as in so your co-workers may not be happy with you.

Would there be any other suggestions other than the HD555 for an open headphone in the same price range (< $150) that would do well with the types of music I listed?

(
Rock=40%, 
)

I would like to be able to hear the guitars well, but I would also like there to be some bass for the electronic music.  I wouldn't mind if the bass is in the background.  I think I'd rather have the mids and highs more forward in the mix with the bass beneath them. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #1,223 of 29,490
Not exactly sure what the HD598 is going for atm, but I thought I read it to be as low as 169 at one point.

I could be extremely mistaken, but from what I hear the sound sig is a little less "veiled" (if you will) in the treble ranges.

Something to look into.

Quote:

Quote:

Would there be any other suggestions other than the HD555 for an open headphone in the same price range (< $150) that would do well with the types of music I listed?

(
Rock=40%, 
)

I would like to be able to hear the guitars well, but I would also like there to be some bass for the electronic music.  I wouldn't mind if the bass is in the background.  I think I'd rather have the mids and highs more forward in the mix with the bass beneath them. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #1,224 of 29,490

Really could have looked that up quickly first before posting.  My bad guys.

I was extremely mistaken about the price....

but the 595s are going reasonably priced.
Quote:
Not exactly sure what the HD598 is going for atm, but I thought I read it to be as low as 169 at one point.

I could be extremely mistaken, but from what I hear the sound sig is a little less "veiled" (if you will) in the treble ranges.

Something to look into.

Quote:

Quote:

(
Rock=40%, 
)

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #1,225 of 29,490

Hey guys, i'm currently looking for some new headphones, i want the BEST sounding headphones without an amp.... it's most likely going to be used for music and a bit of gaming .. My budget is 300-500$. Thanks!

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #1,226 of 29,490

Quote:
BChizzle said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey guys, i'm currently looking for some new headphones, i want the BEST sounding headphones without an amp.... it's most likely going to be used for music and a bit of gaming .. My budget is 300-500$. Thanks!

"Best" is such a terribly subjective term. For lack of any other details, I'm just going to suggest: Beyerdynamic T50p.

Quote:
hi, i am in the market for a new pair of headphones. I was originally going to get the JVC HA RX700's ($33), but once i saw how large they were they seemed less attractive. Today, i came across the HD 203 ($35) as well as the ATH M35 (53), which i read up on and found to be decent headphones. However, there weren't too many reviews on the ATH M35 's and i was wondering which of the two would you guys think would be better.

I listen to a variety of music, but mostly rock.

thanks in advance.

edit: any pair below $50 would be fine, but i would prefer closed headphones as i will be listening in public places as well as my house.

Also add to the list: Koss UR20. Check out Joker's massive portable headphones thread for many more options: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-65-portable-headphones-reviewed-tdk-wr700-akg-k430-added-01-08

Quote:
Quote:

(
Rock=40%, 
)

Other recommendations:
AKG K240 mkii - practically an industry/recording standard, good detail, good balance
Phiaton MS300 - typical bassy Phiaton house sound, though the least bassy and arguably the best detailing in the mids of the family

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #1,227 of 29,490
My only gripe with the sennheiser hd555,595..... is the 1/4" jack and the adapter to 1/8".  It looks like jack could get a little awkward with that.  I guess I'm being a bit fussy!

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #1,229 of 29,490

Quote:
 Best" is such a terribly subjective term. For lack of any other details, I'm just going to suggest: Beyerdynamic T50p. 

sorry , um... i dont know .. clear? crisp? I've never really bought an "expensive" headphone.. but i want to get back into music again and i'm looking for some headphones that can do that for under $500

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #1,230 of 29,490
Quote:

If you're settled on going unamped you could go with the main-stays SRH-840 or M50 / HD-25 may also be a good option.  Read about them on this thread.

If I had to go unamped I would go with high end universal IEMs over these ^ lower-tier headphones, in my opinion, I'd get more sound for my dollar that way.

All that said though, and if you don't mind being confined to your listening area with a full-size desktop dac & amp then I would recommend HD600s with a combo dac & amp like the E7/E9 or NFB-12.  (Doable around your budget.)  You will get the most sound for your dollar this way, but of course with compromises: portability, etc.  Edit: I've heard beyers are excellent for movies & gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back