++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 8, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #676 of 29,490
This is going to be interesting.

I have trouble sleeping, so a lot of the night, I'll wear my K701s, shifting from my back to sides - not exactly comfortable. I cannot wear IEMs or ear buds without real problems.

Could someone recommend headphones that I can wear while sleeping/resting while resting on my back and sides? If it has really good sound, that would be a plus.
eek.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #677 of 29,490
I'm writing for another person here, but anyway.

I don't have time for the template so I'll just put up some dots:
  1. He will most likely use the headphones with a Asus Xonar Essence STX.
  2. They need to isolate good, he shouldn't be able to hear so much what's going on around him (he's not going to use them in public though).
  3. His budget is around $300.
  4. He can't test headphones before buying.
  5. They NEED to be good in games, the positional audio is of high importance.
  6. He's got no big previous experience with headphones, so he doesn't really kno which kind of headphone would fit him. He listens to "everything, mostly RnB" and he said he wanted bass.

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #678 of 29,490

Quote:

2. They need to isolate good, he shouldn't be able to hear so much what's going on around him (he's not going to use them in public though).
  6. He's got no big previous experience with headphones, so he doesn't really kno which kind of headphone would fit him. He listens to "everything, mostly RnB" and he said he wanted bass.

I haven't heard many sealed, bassy headphones with better positional audio than the Beyer DT150.  They will drive well from the soundcard, and were my go-to game cans for quite a while.  I really think to do any better, he'd need to go with open headphones (at which point you lose all isolation).

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #679 of 29,490

Quote:
I was wondering, does anyone know how the Shure SRH750DJ compare to the ATH-M50? I'm trying to decide between the two and I read that the 750DJ might not be very good unamped which is going to be its primary use.

Edit: I just found a thread on this topic so nvm! :)

Can you post a link to that thread please?

or can anyone else advise which one of these to go for?

I have set up a poll, which i think will help loads of people who seem to be wondering the same thing, all people who know which is better, please vote!

Poll: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/530867/poll-please-read-my-post-below-the-poll-first-before-voting-thanks-shure-srh840-audio-technica-ath-50-shure-srh440-beyerdynamic-dt770-creative-aurvana-live-headphones-srh750dj#post_7157851

thanks loads!

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #680 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

I haven't heard many sealed, bassy headphones with better positional audio than the Beyer DT150.  They will drive well from the soundcard, and were my go-to game cans for quite a while.  I really think to do any better, he'd need to go with open headphones (at which point you lose all isolation).

Hmm, thanks. And yeah, open wouldn't do for isolation. Closed is a must. Also, the build quality is important too. Should hold up for at least 2-3 years.

Been lookin' at DT770 and DT880 too. I myself know DT770 are more bassy, but I've read DT880 should be enough, at least if you're a normal person. He also said he though the bass in his PC360(Sennheiser) was enough with a lil bit of EQing, to give you a reference point.
He had apparently tried Qpad 1339 (Beyer MMX300) and thought they had the best bass he had heard. 

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #681 of 29,490
So, I love my Grado's, but I need a pair of closed cans/iems for listening in the library/on the go. I want something that sounds similar to the SR60 for not a whole lot of money. I like trebel, I like when my music "bites" if that makes any sense. All the cheaper closed cans seem more bass oriented though. Will a pair of AKG 81's serve me well?

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #682 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

Hmm, thanks. And yeah, open wouldn't do for isolation. Closed is a must. Also, the build quality is important too. Should hold up for at least 2-3 years. I'll look into DT150.

Been lookin' at DT770 and DT880 too. I myself know DT770 are more bassy, but I've read DT880 should be enough, at least if you're a normal person. He also said he though the bass in his PC360(Sennheiser) was enough with a lil bit of EQing, to give you a reference point.
He had apparently tried Qpad 1339 (Beyer MMX300) and thought they had the best bass he had heard. 
And as stated above - positional audio is very important.

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #683 of 29,490
Hey,

I'm looking to buy a set of budget headphones for gaming and listening to music. I'm in UK and my budget is £50 at the absolute most, but I'm looking for around £35 or so ideally. If going over will mean much higher quality or more comfort, then I would be willing to pay more

They will be used on my computer, usually for extended periods, so they must be comfortable and fairly robust, and as my computer is downstairs, where all rooms run into each other, to have decent isolation would be a great perk

Thanks in advance :)

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #684 of 29,490
Posting this again for anymore suggestions other than the M50s and the K518s... I'm really looking at the K518s, and changing my price range from $60 to $100

Quote:
Looking for closed portable-ish basshead headphones for listening to anything from dubstep and drum & bass to j-pop and IDM to soul, hip hop, and rap.

Should be relatively comfortable, although I'm not looking for a king-sized bed here. As for looks, nothing specific but I'd like it to look good, and I like the styling of Grados (although those are open) and the Audio Technica M50s and the ES7s. I should be able to wear them on my neck when not in use. Ability to fold flat, and a cable around 5ft or so would be nice but not a requirement.

Should be able to be powered by either an iPod nano 6th gen, or that + a Fiio E5. Not willing to go further for an amp.

Do want some good, heavy bass, but not bloated and it shouldn't overpower the rest of the music. I can also appreciate some treble.

Price is $75-$100, though if it is REALLY worth it, would go up to $120

I'm in no rush, it'll take me 3-4 months or so for me to save up for them.

So far, I am looking at ATH-M50s and AKG-K518s

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #685 of 29,490
Just purchased the ATH m50's and waiting for them to come in. I bought them because on a thread I made I was told by several people that they had the best bass with least distortion for anything under about $150. Was I misguided or is this correct in most of your opinions?

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #686 of 29,490

Quote:
Just purchased the ATH m50's and waiting for them to come in. I bought them because on a thread I made I was told by several people that they had the best bass with least distortion for anything under about $150. Was I misguided or is this correct in most of your opinions?

Yes, that is mostly right. The M50s are a solid choice, but let them burn in before you form an opinion. I was really disappointed with mine until about 80-100 hours.

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #687 of 29,490
So I'm going between a few headphones, my price limit is $160 bucks MAX. I listen to a lot of classic rock, 80's metal, grunge and 90's rock. I look for clear sound, decent bass, and awesome treble (I'm a drummer so I like to hear a lot of treble).

I'm going between:
Shure SRH840
Sennheiser HD 595
Sennheiser HD 555

Any guidance? I hear that the Sure SRH840's are awesome, and well worth the money

Jan 8, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #688 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
I was wondering, does anyone know how the Shure SRH750DJ compare to the ATH-M50? I'm trying to decide between the two and I read that the 750DJ might not be very good unamped which is going to be its primary use.

Edit: I just found a thread on this topic so nvm! :)

Can you post a link to that thread please?

or can anyone else advise which one of these to go for?

I have set up a poll, which i think will help loads of people who seem to be wondering the same thing, all people who know which is better, please vote!

Poll: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/530867/poll-please-read-my-post-below-the-poll-first-before-voting-thanks-shure-srh840-audio-technica-ath-50-shure-srh440-beyerdynamic-dt770-creative-aurvana-live-headphones-srh750dj#post_7157851

thanks loads!

[Here] is the link. I ended up going for the Shures. I'm definitely happy with them, but they are a little uncomfortable. Maybe I'll strap them around a box for a while :D

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #689 of 29,490

Quote:
So I'm going between a few headphones, my price limit is $160 bucks MAX. I listen to a lot of classic rock, 80's metal, grunge and 90's rock. I look for clear sound, decent bass, and awesome treble (I'm a drummer so I like to hear a lot of treble).

I'm going between:
Shure SRH840
Sennheiser HD 595
Sennheiser HD 555

Any guidance? I hear that the Sure SRH840's are awesome, and well worth the money

Why not go for the Shure 750DJ instead?  The 840s are quite dark, and from what I've heard, the 750s have more the sound you're looking for.  If you want treble, though, skip anything that starts with S and go for Beyers instead.

Jan 8, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #690 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Hmm, thanks. And yeah, open wouldn't do for isolation. Closed is a must. Also, the build quality is important too. Should hold up for at least 2-3 years. I'll look into DT150.

And as stated above - positional audio is very important.

The DT880 are also open (semi-open officially, but it's the same thing).  You can't beat Beyer for build quality--they are like tanks.  The 770 doesn't have as wide a soundstage, and the DT150 rivals it for bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back