++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 4, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #601 of 29,490

Quote:
I signed up just to thank all the people in here.  After weeks of reading through pages and pages of recommendations for newbies, I settled on ATH-M50s.

I got the M50s from my local guitar center.  They price matched uniquesquared.com's price plus 10% of the difference.  I was surprised that GC didnt give me any grief about it.  They just checked if unique squared was an authorized retailer and that was it.   

Also electronics expo has the Senn HD280's for $70 after the discount code (shopearly).

Thanks again to all of you.

Nice first post silenth. Welcome to Head-Fi!

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #602 of 29,490
Hey all, I'm looking to upgrade from my Sennheiser 428's to a better sennheiser model. My limit is 100 bucks (I'd rather spend around 50). I love the sound of the 428's, and I want to know if the Sennheiser 515's are a good step up, they're around 50 bucks on amazon.

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #603 of 29,490
Hi, i've been thinking about purchasing something for a while now but im not exactly sure which direction I should go in. I currently use a udac to MS-1 / AD700 and was trying to decide between getting another pair of headphones or an amp like the asgard or m-stage. If I were to get an amp, would I see much of an improvement or would I be better off with upgrading my headphones to say a SR-225 or denon d2000 first?

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #604 of 29,490
Just got the D-2000 and I think I'm in love!

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #605 of 29,490
Ok so I currently listen to most of my music (classic rock mostly) on my turntable hooked through my little marantz receiver, to a millet hybrid tube amp, to my ultrasone pro 750. I really like my ultrasones but I feel they shine more with electronic music. I have $100 to amazon and since I have no clue what to spend it on I was thinking about some Grado sr60i. Do you think it would be worth it just to listen to my turntable, or will my ultrasones still outdo them?

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #606 of 29,490

Quote:
Ok so I currently listen to most of my music (classic rock mostly) on my turntable hooked through my little marantz receiver, to a millet hybrid tube amp, to my ultrasone pro 750. I really like my ultrasones but I feel they shine more with electronic music. I have $100 to amazon and since I have no clue what to spend it on I was thinking about some Grado sr60i. Do you think it would be worth it just to listen to my turntable, or will my ultrasones still outdo them?

The ultrasones dance circles around the low-end Grados in just about all areas.  They have better clarity, low and high-end extension, soundstage... everything.  For rock, you might want to try something a bit warmer, like one of the Denons.  I found that the stock Pro 750s were completely unlistenable for most styles of music with that level of brightness.

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #607 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

The ultrasones dance circles around the low-end Grados in just about all areas.  They have better clarity, low and high-end extension, soundstage... everything.  For rock, you might want to try something a bit warmer, like one of the Denons.  I found that the stock Pro 750s were completely unlistenable for most styles of music with that level of brightness.

Ok, thanks. What do you think about Kee's mod? Will that improve my sound for rock?

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #609 of 29,490
Hey, Everybody, I seem to have missed this thread and made one asking for recommendations >.>
...Anyways, I was referred to hear by another member and would like some help with headphone choices as well. :) 

This is what I put on my previous thread:

For the past few months I've been using Skullcandy's Skullcrushers (Yes, I know) just to have something to get by. But, now I figure it's time for an upgrade. However, I am a complete newbie to headphones and I need some help on knowing which kinds to get. I usually listen to things like Daft Punk, Justice, Metallica, KoRn, for the most part, but I also occasionally listen to jazz or orchestral music as well.

And as a side not, a little style in the headphones wouldn't hurt. 
normal_smile%20.gif

Any suggestions?
happy_face1.gif

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #610 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, thanks. What do you think about Kee's mod? Will that improve my sound for rock?

Good GOD yes.

I mean, if you're happy with the sound you're getting now, realize that the Kees mod will make a significant difference to the sound, but for me it changed the 750 from a headphone I could barely tolerate for five minutes into one that I sometimes regret not having anymore.  Once Kees modded, they are just about right for everything.  The key, as always, though, is to use a ridiculously thin layer of cotton in there.  Thinner than thinner than thin.  The nice thing about the mod is that it's completely reversible.

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #611 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey, Everybody, I seem to have missed this thread and made one asking for recommendations >.>
...Anyways, I was referred to hear by another member and would like some help with headphone choices as well. :) 

For the past few months I've been using Skullcandy's Skullcrushers (Yes, I know) just to have something to get by. But, now I figure it's time for an upgrade. However, I am a complete newbie to headphones and I need some help on knowing which kinds to get. I usually listen to things like Daft Punk, Justice, Metallica, KoRn, for the most part, but I also occasionally listen to jazz or orchestral music as well.

normal_smile%20.gif

Any suggestions?
happy_face1.gif

The Phiatons are supposed to be decent and stylish all-rounders.  Most of the ones that often are recommended would be great for some of that list but not others.

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #612 of 29,490
My M50s came in today from UniqueSquared (authorized seller) and I have a problem with the section connecting to the tip.  When i pull on the spring part sideways to make the cord bend the sound is not affected, but when i pull on the cord to make the cable end bend the sound almost disappears to a whisper.

I am wondering whether I got a defective unit.  This troubles me because I plan to use this walking to class and if it catches on my jacket then it would create an annoying disappearance of sound.  Snaking the cord behind my laptop also causes the cord to bend and cause the sound to almost cut out.

My sources are laptop and itouch.

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #613 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:

normal_smile%20.gif

Any suggestions?
happy_face1.gif

The Phiatons are supposed to be decent and stylish all-rounders.  Most of the ones that often are recommended would be great for some of that list but not others.

Thanks for the info :)
Could you tell me what each of the usual recommendations are good for?

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #614 of 29,490
hi all,

i just wanted to let you all know that i have received my AT AD700 and i am VERY satisfied. all my fears were proven wrong - there's plenty of bass, especially if you tweak the eq a little bit. if you listen to bands like the nationals, you can hear and feel more than i thought i would every hit of the snare and toms, and the bass is nice and rich, very present - not overpowering. they can be easily driven by my macbook pro and even my iphone.  i can't wait to continue using them and allowing the headphones to burn in. love the sound stage and can't wait for them to open up more.

just wanted to say thanks for all your help!

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #615 of 29,490
oh man I did not notice this thread so I made 1

I'll just repost my dilemma here lol

Hello Head Fi'ers!!

I'm new to the Hi Fi-Headphones(not sure if this the right description) and other stuff relating to it, But I been reading and searching this awesome forums for the past couple of days, I was initially planning on buying a pair of Bose QC15 or AE2. But before dishing out my cash, I did research about the headphones thats when i end up here. 
after reading and learning I got enlightened that there is some thing better and Fair priced.

I planning on buying a Senn HD650 or HD 600 or maybe AT m50(closed cap and portability?)

My primary use for the headphones
1. PC - Music listening 30% of the time
2. Mp3 player 40% of the time
3 Plugging it in to a yamaha ypg 635 (keyboard)  20% of the time
4. Movie/ gaming -Ps3     20%of the time

Music that I listen to:

Bossa nova
Jazz, something closee marcus miller/david sunborn
classical
Piano relaxation/ambience (kinda theme not really sure what you call this genre)
acoustic music 
alternative/indie rock
Muse
Phoenix
Rufio
third eye blind
Eagles
The police/Sting 
and a little bit of RnB,Reggae

Not much on HipHop and Heavy/Metal Rock and Rap

at the moment I'm leanning more on the HD 650 
and incase i be buying it I'm looking at the FiiO E7+E9 as option for the amp 
will this be enough for HD650 as Desktop amp, 
and can the E7 stand on its own as a portable amp for HD650
another portable amp I'm looking at is the Headstage Arrow

and the most important question: 
Am I jumping way head of myself in getting a HD650? i mean i'm no audiophile or have a Great ear to be critical but I would say i'm an avid music listener. 

is there a Store in Longbeach/L.A. that i could like try the headphones out? so far what i see is bestbuy and guitar center which they don't have any stock in store for any of the headphones I posted.

I apologize for the abundant of question. I just don't wanna end up regretting something I bought later because I rushed things w/ Limited understanding.

all comments are appreciated and I Thank you in Advance HeadFi Community

Users who are viewing this thread

Back