++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 28, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #272 of 29,490
Since I got no response about my questions regarding the Denon AH-D1001k VS. Audio Technica ATH-M50s... I'm reposting, with a more concise deathmatch between these two phones. (thanks bvzxa3 for answering my questions about the es7!)

So; these cans will be for 'casual' listening, but it will generally be longterm(2-4+hours). It will be for music, games, applications of all kinds, movies, tv ETC... essentially all media.

They need to be portable and little-no leakage is more important than isolation.

Sound fatigue is a big issue for me, my HD-668b's often will give me fatigue after a couple hours. Esp if I'm playing a game like BF:BC2 (which has amazing sound direction, but is very, very bassy, and gives me an incredible headache when playing with my superlux, and im not sure if its because the hd668b's are too technical or what). 

So, I know the Denons are well regarded. It however seems like very few people have experience with them which I think is why I can't seem to get this question answered.

If anyone can answer, or atleast shed some light... I'd appreciate it. Could finally stop posting about it too!

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #273 of 29,490

Quote:
So I just bought a pair of Shure SRH-840's and I'm wondering.. Do they have a break-in period like the M50's do? The sound is decent out of the box but it's nothing mindblowing.. 

One head-fier directly compared brand new SRH840s with a well-used 8 month old pair and found no difference in sound even after believing before the test that the older pair improved with burn-in.  Others report changes over time (I didn't) but my guess is that many reported changes are actually habituation/adaptation/familiarity over time.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #274 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
So I just bought a pair of Shure SRH-840's and I'm wondering.. Do they have a break-in period like the M50's do? The sound is decent out of the box but it's nothing mindblowing.. 

One head-fier directly compared brand new SRH840s with a well-used 8 month old pair and found no difference in sound even after believing before the test that the older pair improved with burn-in.  Others report changes over time (I didn't) but my guess is that many reported changes are actually habituation/adaptation/familiarity over time.

This is why I say that Mental Burn is much more important, it's one of the reasons that head-fi meets really don't always do justice though. I'm almost always dissapointed when getting a new headphone to try then like 5 hours use later I'm in love.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #275 of 29,490
Reminds me of the member who said he initially loved his fresh out of the box HD650 but then had it in the FS forums 2 hours later. I can appreciate personal preferences but I'm certain that guy was doing it wrong.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #277 of 29,490
recently stumbled across this place while doing headphone searches and have been reading the forums for about 3 days now.

I currently have a pair of extremely used Sony XB500s and its about time i moved on, they are starting to fall apart and im a bit lost on where to go from here. so im turning to all you audiophiles here.

Ive been looking at getting a pair of ATH-A700 or AD700s. but ive read that the ADs lack bass, im not a crazy bass head, but bass that adds to the overall sound without killing your head. and kinda have the same look to them as the Audio Technicas, closed or open, whatever fits my music better.

I mostly listen to mostly electronic music and electronic/rock (Boom Boom Satellites mostly, as well as Daft Punk, Capsule, Covenant, FC Kahuna)

looking at a price range of $100-250 or so, $300 if its worth it. these will be 90% used at the comp(prolly get a new sound card as well, currently have like a 5 year old audigy SE), but also taken to college classes with me, so durability is a plus & very long hours of use.

thanks for any help and advice in advance.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #278 of 29,490
^ Audio Technica ATH-M50. Length of cord may be an issue for portable use but I'd suggest you look at the much shorter coiled cable version. Comfort improves considerably once the band is loosened up.

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #279 of 29,490
Hey all, got a question about buying headphones.
I'm looking at a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50, they have received really good reviews everywhere I look and seem to be the best for under $150. (Of course, if someone can tell me of some superior ones for the same price, I would appreciate it.)
But my question is about buying off ebay. I found a pair for $99.00. They are from shenzen China, and the condition is new but possibly out of the box. I have heard that sometimes dealers from China will give you fake headphones. 
Has anyone purchased from these types of dealers before? Are they safe? 

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #280 of 29,490
ok, i'm new to the site and happy to post my question in here. I'm looking for some headphones in the $70 or under range. Long story short my concern (apart from sound quality of course) is sound leakage.

I plan on using these together with a Turtle Beach DSS processor to game on my PS3 after the family has gone to bed. My wife is a very light sleeper and the fact that our bedroom is within ear shot of the den means that the volume while gaming needs to be down to almost inaudable levels. especially shooters. assuming that I want the volume in my headphones at a reasonably high level. when a review says that a headphone leaks a lot of sound can someone else hear it, say 15 feet away, in an otherwise dead quite room? through a cracked door about 20 feet away? etc.

what headphones would you suggest for this application? Also, it needs to be something I can get at bestbuy since i have a gift card to use (thanks wife). I'm looking at the Koss U55's, ProDJ100's and a few Audio-Technica's (assuming bestbuy will price match, they apear to be way above amazon, pricegrabber, etc)

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #281 of 29,490
Hello there,

I have looked at many headphones recently, and I have read at a number of reviews etc

I have know narrowed it down to a few headphones:

Sennheiser HD 435

Sennheiser HD 205

JVC HA-RX700

Goldring DR-150

Main things to consider are sound quality.

I will be listening to from my laptop and probably mobile phone as well, without an amp.

I will use the headphones for music of various genres such as pop, rock , soul , hip hop, etc and also for movies.

Sound isolation is not too much of a problem, so they can be open or closed.

I really cant decide so any help will be much appreciated.

thanks very much for reading my post.

Dec 28, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #282 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking at a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50, they have received really good reviews everywhere I look and seem to be the best for under $150. (Of course, if someone can tell me of some superior ones for the same price, I would appreciate it.)
But my question is about buying off ebay. I found a pair for $99.00. They are from shenzen China, and the condition is new but possibly out of the box. I have heard that sometimes dealers from China will give you fake headphones. 

ATH-M50 fakes are prevalent. I'd highly recommend you purchase from an authorised dealer. Check out this listing on the AT site.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/1e22eec97c088a8b/index.html

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #283 of 29,490
Yes, good advice. However, I just purchased them brand new from Unique Squared through ebay for $88! 
beyersmile.png

The dealer seemed really legit, based in Atlanta and almost perfect feedback.I even got on the phone with them to confirm that the packaged was factory sealed. 
Dam, today is a good day.

Quote:
Quote:

ATH-M50 fakes are prevalent. I'd highly recommend you purchase from an authorised dealer. Check out this listing on the AT site.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/1e22eec97c088a8b/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back