++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 27, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #256 of 29,490
Hello dudes, neophyte here!
I recently picked up a pair of ATH-m50s (my first pair) and they're great
however, I'm not sure as where to go from here
I intend to use them for travel when I get a new ipod classic as well as for my desktop
I hear they don't benefit much from a portable amp, but what about a desk amp or a dac/amp?
I use a Ht Omega Claro+ (DAC is AK4396VF) partially for my 5.1 stereos

overall, what should I aim to purchase next? I have about 400 to spend max

Dec 27, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #257 of 29,490

Quote:

Unless you're looking to purchase other cans, I don't see much point in pouring that much into improving your chain if the M50 will be your predominant headphone. If you find the M50 somehow deficient, you'd be better off spending money on better cans.

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #258 of 29,490
Quote:

Unless you're looking to purchase other cans, I don't see much point in pouring that much into improving your chain if the M50 will be your predominant headphone. If you find the M50 somehow deficient, you'd be better off spending money on better cans.

ah okay, I do plan to buy another set of headphones specifically for home use eventually (k701 maybe?)
I was hoping to begin building up a set-up but I guess I should get those headphones first right?

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #259 of 29,490
Well that's an entirely different proposition. All I meant with my previous post was that it would be over kill to spend $400 on trying to improve just the M50. If you're looking at "higher end" cans, especially the ones that require careful equipment matching, then upgrading your chain now may not be such a bad idea. It'd just be as viable though to buy better cans now, if those cans are relatively easy to drive and won't disappoint as you wait for the next round to upgrade the rest of your gear.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #260 of 29,490

Quote:
I need your help to choose a good headphone for outside usage such as walking in the street, mall, library.. etc. 4 months ago I had bought Studio beats before I returned them because I felt the price is quite over for the quality. in addition, I bought shure 840 week ago and I returned them because I found it huge and sound quality isn't that good.

So I'm looking for a very good headphone :)

Budget: around 300$
Genre: mostly Rock, alternative.

Quote:

I currently own the M50s and the main thing that it lacks is a good soundstage, at least for me. I want something that has better (more crisp and intimate) bass. And something that has better mids because the M50s has some srsly recessed mids. I think the Denon D2000 is my best option, any input on this one? I guess I like closed cans more than open ones. I would like a larger soundstage than the M50s offers and while I know open cans generally have large soundstages, the A900 and D2000 still have better soundstages than the M50s, I think so at least. I would like some isolation even though these will be worn at home 100% of the time. 

The source is my 15" Unibody MBP and I do have a good stereo receiver (which I don't really use but it can be used as a decent amp). 

Having owned SRH840, D5000 (and other less relevant headphones) I think you guys should consider Denons D2000/D5000.  They have great soundstage (and so are the antidote to SRH840, which don't have any) and ample bass, so are very spacious and satisfying.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #261 of 29,490
Well that's an entirely different proposition. All I meant with my previous post was that it would be over kill to spend $400 on trying to improve just the M50. If you're looking at "higher end" cans, especially the ones that require careful equipment matching, then upgrading your chain now may not be such a bad idea. It'd just be as viable though to buy better cans now, if those cans are relatively easy to drive and won't disappoint as you wait for the next round to upgrade the rest of your gear.

ah, I guess I should have mentioned that
I'll try asking the home amp section!

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #263 of 29,490
Strong V shape. Mids are more recessed than Denons. Generally I did not find any advantage of owning a Pro 900 over a Denon D7000 except for the cheaper price. It was worse in everything, though I admit, I did not try the Kees mod. I had owned them at the same time using a solid state and tube amp.

Quote:
I'd like to try some Ultrasone one day. What is the over-all signature of PRO-900? Bright side or Dark side?

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #264 of 29,490

Quote:
Strong V shape. Mids are more recessed than Denons. Generally I did not find any advantage of owning a Pro 900 over a Denon D7000 except for the cheaper price. It was worse in everything, though I admit, I did not try the Kees mod. I had owned them at the same time using a solid state and tube amp.

Quote:
I'd like to try some Ultrasone one day. What is the over-all signature of PRO-900? Bright side or Dark side?

That's actually not a bad thing in my case, since my D-90 + HAGL is definitely mid-centric. Heck the DT880 is almost a vocal-phone with this setup. And if anything can make a DT880 mid-heavy then...
For a more balanced sound, HFI-780 or HFI-2400?

Dec 27, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #266 of 29,490
I personally love my Kees modded Pro900's and I haven't noticed any recessed mids. 

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

That's actually not a bad thing in my case, since my D-90 + HAGL is definitely mid-centric. Heck the DT880 is almost a vocal-phone with this setup. And if anything can make a DT880 mid-heavy then...
For a more balanced sound, HFI-780 or HFI-2400?

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #268 of 29,490

Quote:
Having owned SRH840, D5000 (and other less relevant headphones) I think you guys should consider Denons D2000/D5000.  They have great soundstage (and so are the antidote to SRH840, which don't have any) and ample bass, so are very spacious and satisfying.

Sweet, thanks! I ordered them just a minute ago. They should be here on wednesday, will post impressions!

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #269 of 29,490
Hi again,

I have one more question if y'all don't mind.  I plan on buying Beyerdynamic DT880 32 Ohm edition headphones, but I wasn't sure if the low impedance model would be a factor or not.  Would this edition be okay for gaming?  All I have for an amp right now is a JDS Labs Mccoy, customized for 32 Ohm headphones.  Is this model of headphones not worth buying in that impedance?  Or would this purchase be okay?  Also, would an Astro Mixamp be sufficient enough to bring the life out of these?  Thanks again for any responses.  

-Crash

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #270 of 29,490
Impedance is not a reliable indication of whether a headphone is easy to drive. There are 1.2 ohm earphones that burn out cheap amps. The DT880 is not easy to drive so my advice is not to look at the impedance.

Quote:
Hi again,

I have one more question if y'all don't mind.  I plan on buying Beyerdynamic DT880 32 Ohm edition headphones, but I wasn't sure if the low impedance model would be a factor or not.  Would this edition be okay for gaming?  All I have for an amp right now is a JDS Labs Mccoy, customized for 32 Ohm headphones.  Is this model of headphones not worth buying in that impedance?  Or would this purchase be okay?  Thanks again for any responses.

-Crash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back