++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 20, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #46 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey,
I've not heard the 701's, but between the Sennheiser models you listed, the 600 has the tightest sound and are the most neutral sounding (through the sound of their padding). The 650 sounds similar but has a bigger soundstage and boomier bass; its bass boom colours the music nicely, but I find it can detract from the neutrality of the source. 

So if i go with the hd600, would you recommend i get the Cardas cable or the 650 cable? I understand both are improvements, although obviously the 650 cable is much cheaper. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #47 of 29,490
I'm gonna repost since I've done some editing.

Music genres: I'd say 40% hiphop, 30% acoustic-electro-hybrid-bands(wide genre, can take examples. Often no vocals.) and 30% indierock, 60's, 80's like Paul Simon and pop. No classical or metal though, note that!
Portable: No, only at the computer.
Price range: with an amp/a dac I'm willing to spend up to $600. This is going to be my permanent, only and last setup so if it's really worth it I can throw in another $150~. But preferably less, setups/alternatives around $400 - $600 would be nice.
Amped: Yes^, don't know which though. Does not need to be portable obv.
Closed/Open: I'm going to use them at home and at home only so doesn't matter. I've got a pair of open cans now and I enjoy 'em, so let's say open since they often sound better(?).
Headphone preference: I'd rather like something funny than neutral/analytic. I don't want to sit and analazye every piece of instrument, I want to listen and enjoy the music. They do not necessarily have to be bassy, but rather that than too neutral.
Headphones which I've read about, looked at or excluded: I've read a lot about DT990, but I can only get ahold of the Pro version and they seem much worse than the Premium. The Premium ones seem overpriced, about 2x the price of the Pros. I've pretty much excluded K701/2 since they seem way too neutral. I haven't read much about the K601's, but I'm gonna check out the gigantic impression/appreciation thread tomorrow.
I'm also gonna check out the K271's MKII and K240's MKII.
The HD650's seem like a real investment but might be too expensive.
Amps/dacs which I've read about: not many. The Fiio E9+E7 seem nice but they'll be like $300 in Europe while they're $200 in US so what many regard as a product with huge bang-for-the-buck-factor might not apply in Europe. I've looked a little at the Audio-GD's, both the new NFB-12 and the FUN/Sparrow but it seems to be a little of a hassle to get them (long & expensive shipping, dunno if VAT applies?) and they seem to be a little over my standards lol.

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #48 of 29,490
aleex, I really enjoy the synergy the HD650 has with my Audio-GD Fun. As I've stated many times in other threads, with my setup the HD650 gets more things right than wrong. I love how lush and textured the presentation is and I'm able to just enjoy the music without nit picking the headphone's deficiencies.

Have you considered the HD600? If Audio-GD delivers with the NFB12, that pairing could really be an amazing bang for buck setup.

Dec 20, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #49 of 29,490
saw this thread while waiting for a reply on my other thread... didn't want to annoy/piss off anyone so i thought i'd comply by moving my original post here.
but to answer the information requested above to help you (ya'll ?) help me:

Music genres: i listen to a wide gamut of music.. anywhere from jazz, classical, folk, rock, hip-hop, contemporary christian music... some bands i enjoy? radiohead, sigur ros (if you can make sigur rose sound even awesome-er, that'd be... well awesome!), beirut, bon iver, arcade fire, norah jones, john coltrane, yo la tengo, hillsong/hillsong united, some korean rap/hiphop, and the list goes on

Portable: doesn't really matter, i don't mind lugging around bigger headphones if they sound better

Price range: around $100-150

Amped: not yet and not anytime soon - but maybe in the future

Closed/Open: please see below in original post

Headphone preference: over the ear? 

no where to put this information, but i'm looking for a few things, most importantly, i would love a pair of headphones that will give me a wide soundstage :) for more info, please see below!

ORIGINAL POST:

hello everyone,

i've been reading through these forums a lot, and i think i am more split and confused (but more knowledgable) than i am coming close to a decision. i am looking for a pair of full headphones (over the ear for comfort). my last pair of headphones were the sennheiser hd448 which i loved but wanted something a little bit more... i dunno how to exactly explain it. my biggest complaint was, at least to me, seem to lack a little bit of clarity but more importantly, i really love a wide soundstage that i know headphones can give you. but really, i was happy with the hd448s.

my budget is about $100-150 (sold my hds for $80 and i have a $50 amazon gift card), and i was considering the following headphones: senn HD555, audio technica ad-700, audio technica a-700, and others that usually pop up in comparison to these headphones.

i like the idea of getting open headphones, but hate the fact that i need to give up a good, solid bass response - i'm open to giving up my cheap skullcandy-basshead-needs but nevertheless, i would like something with some good bass umph. and again, most importantly, i would like to get headphones that have a large (wide?) soundstage and clarity. to give more information, when looking into earbuds, i tried the klipsch image s4 and thought they were way to piercing and "thin" sounding, and so, knowing that people raved about the images s4s, i'm afraid that some of these headphones that are also getting rave reviews might be similar. 

as much as i would love to think i will, i most likely won't buy a headphone amp for them anytime soon, and will run them from my macbook pro/ipod/iphone, but i would like to have the possibility of having room to grow if i do end up buying an amp. this probably sounds like a lot of *bleh* and dumping it on you guys, but if you guys could help, i'd really appreciate it. just an overview to help:

wants:

1. large soundstage

2. good bass response

3. can be driven by laptop with room to grow if amp is purchased

4. over-the-ear/comfortable

5. around $100-150 budget

thanks in advanced for your help!

Dec 20, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #53 of 29,490
Music Genres: Mostly heavy metal and progressive.  I listen to bands like Dream Theater, Whitechapel, Behemoth, Lamb of God, Impending Doom, John Coltrane, Crimson King, some classical such as Dmitri Shostakovich.
Portable: Likely not.  If I'm spending a good deal of money on these cans I don't want to take the chance with Northwestern Wisconsin sub-zero winters.  Besides, I have my wonderfully sturdy M50s for that.
Price Range: ~700
Amped: Likely.  The problem that seems to coincide with the kind of hi-fi cans of which I'm thinking is the need for amping.  I'd like to stay away from Sennheisers in that respect. 
Closed/Open:  Closed.  I have Grados and I can't stand their inability to stay on my enormous cranium.  Also I prefer the isolation that closed are wont to give.
Headphone Preference: Something similar to the M50s in sonic signature, and geared more towards bass punch and smooth highs.  I'm not too big on analytical sound, as I feel it takes away from the soul of music and makes it sound a little airy.  It goes without saying that I want comfort and decent clamp force (I have a big head), so probably not too big of a vote for another pair of Grados. 
Headphones excluded: AKG 702, Grado Rs1, anything by Sennheiser, Ultrasone ALO-780, Denon D5000, Most Beyerdynamic (especially the T1 with Second Mortgage Loan cable and DT 880 1000 ohm reduced impedance edition)

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #55 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:
Hey,
I've not heard the 701's, but between the Sennheiser models you listed, the 600 has the tightest sound and are the most neutral sounding (through the sound of their padding). The 650 sounds similar but has a bigger soundstage and boomier bass; its bass boom colours the music nicely, but I find it can detract from the neutrality of the source. 

So if i go with the hd600, would you recommend i get the Cardas cable or the 650 cable? I understand both are improvements, although obviously the 650 cable is much cheaper. 

I haven't tried a Cardas cable or an HD 650 cable with the HD 600, so I can't comment from my own personal experience. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #56 of 29,490
Ok, I currently have the Sen 212pro  I'm thinking of getting the hd 555's   what kind of an improvment in sound would I see.

I mainly listen to R&B   Vocal and some alternative and some rap and hiphop and some insturmental/classical... anything really

any feedback is appreciated 

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #58 of 29,490
Hey just saw this thread. I have my mind set on 2 or 3 models already. I need full-sized, clear sound, with a bit more on the bass side. Mainly for rock and metal, but when I want to listen to Yann Tiersen's violin, it should sound clear and airy. My current equipment is a Sony A845 with the sock IEMs, which to me sound really good. Help is on the way, in the shape of a Fiio E5 and a line-out from Fiio for my Sony.

I was going for the Shure SRH750DJ, but was also considering the Shure SRH840 or the Sennheiser HD448. From what some people wrote, the SRH750s are like the SRH840 but not so neutral, more bass-inclined. However they don't sacrifice mids and treble in order to do so, and like I mentioned, that's important.

Also, my current IEMs are open (I think, because the opening is just for the noise cancelling), and their soundstage sounds ok, I don't have much to compare to. I really enjoy being able to separate the instruments in my head, and blending all together kind of sucks =(

The HD448 have no bass impact, and I'm not sure I want to rely on my Fiio E5 to have that. Same thing with the 840s. They are great headphones, but maybe more for monitoring.

So, now that my extreme requirements have been made knwon, what do you suggest?

PS: The M50s are hard to get where I live, and I have a good deal on the the HD448 and the SRH750

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #59 of 29,490
Looking to get my first set of full sized headphones (besides skullcandy).I will mostly listen them unamped with a zune hd or my laptop. I mostly listen to hip-hop w/ some rock and jazz. Looking to spend $80-100.

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #60 of 29,490

Quote:
Dull seems to go with the music you've listed :p But if you want some bass get the M50's.

I already have a pair of M50s, as my equipment list states.  'Dull' or 'laid back' headphones are pretty much the worst for heavy metal and progressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back