++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 20, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #31 of 29,490

Quote:

I'm looking for a set of headphones that don't leak much sound that are also pretty stylish to use for everyday use. I'm not gonna be using an amp, and will be mostly using my laptop and ipod. I'm looking for a set that are really bassy with a lot of boom. I can spend anywhere up to around $250. I had a pair of Sennheiser hd555's, and modded them, but they leaked so much sound, so my go to buds are the klipsch image s4's for everyday use. I was looking at the Denon d1100, but want more feedback. Thanks!

Have you thought about Audiotechnica's ATH-M50? As for the stylish factor, I think it's pretty much subjective, and I suggest you search it up on google. I personally like it. It's not flashy, but it's not modest either. Also, M50 has been known for having a great bass as well. I take them  to the silent studying area in my school library and turn up the volume to my taste, but no one seems to notice. I don't think sound leakage would be a problem for these headphones. Some people say these headphones clamp on your head and give you headaches, but once you stretch them up a bit, like with books between the earpieces for maybe about a day, the clamping is just gone. It's been less than a month since I purchased it, and the comfort level is great on these headphones. 
I remember reading that Denon D1100 does have a strong bass, but I don't think M50 has that weak of a bass either. It's one of the few headphones with perfect scores on amazon, although I don't know if you want to base your decision on popular opinion...

Good luck looking for your headphone!

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #32 of 29,490

Okay, I like the idea of this thread, and it's been done before, but they usually descended to the grave because of lack of support, and it's just so untidy. It's only been 2 pages and there are 10 people asking for suggestions. We can only do so much.
Quote:
Hi there! I'm really new to this headphones things. However, currently I've been wanting one. I'm addicted to music in my ears. So, here goes! Thanks in advance!

I'd like it to be lesser than 100 USD. I'm going to use it on my Nokia E72, Ipod nano, and maybe my kindle ebook too. I currently love house music and  melodic trance. (eg benny bennassi, daft punk, DJ Tiesto) However when i'm studying i'd switch to operas and classical. Oh, and when i listen to those house musics i like it to be .. how'd i say it. A bit more bass-ier? >;( As in i like it to be thumping in my head? I hope you get what i mean >.< Sorry! Sometimes i might bring it to college. It doesn't have to be really small(somewhere like shure240), as i carry huge bags. Plenty of space to fit em! Thanks alotttt!

XB500/XB700.

Quote:
hi.
please help me.
I want new headphones for less than $ 150.
I listen to mostly rock, classic rock, post-punk, shugeyz, sometimes jazz and metal. I would like to clean and balanced sound. I will listen only to the PC, I have no amplifiersor sound card, but I think to buy them later. also please write a few models, because maybe I will not find a model

Balanced? AKG K271? They work for jazz and for some reason pretty fun with metal. But there are better for rock.

Quote:
Hi, I really apreciate all your help and have researched a TON, but I still don't know what to do. It is difficult for me to try out non-bose headphones because of my location in Lubbock, Texas.
Here are my needs:

MUSIC SOURCE
I need headphones that do NOT require an amp as I will be listening to music out of my computer and zune. I don't want headphones that make the music sound like crap because of the source. I know it has some to do with impedence but not all to do with it, there are a lot of different thoughts on what works well w/o amp, so let me know what you think.
USE
I will be in library and room mostly, but also will travel some so I want CLOSED OVER-EAR that prevent leakage and provide passive noise cancellation. I listen mostly to classical, jazz, classic rock, indie rock, and blues, so I obviously am not a bass freak, but I still enjoy my share of bass. I also usually don't listen to my music all that loud.
COMFORT(very important)
I have a relatively large head and will listen to these for long periods of time.
PRICE RANGE
anywhere less than $180 or so
LOOKS AND BUILD
Not too important, but I don't want to look like a total goon in the library or in an airport/airplane. Foldability is a plus but not at all a requirement, however DURABILTY is important.

Through all my reviews I have found:
Ultrasone HFI 580 and HFI 450
Denon AH D1100 or 1001
Sennheiser HD 448, HD 438 (concerned about leakage and driveable)
ATH M50 (concerned about being driveable)
and others

Please let me know what you think of these or reccomend something different, any help is welcome. Mostly I am just having trouble coming to a conclusion from all the revies I have read.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

AKG K271 (yeah, it looks like I'm suggesting it a lot, but they're amazing with most of your genres, especially jazz. Classical might be a bit closed-in sounding though, but that goes for most closed headphones. And they look kinda weird on your head.

Quote:

I'm looking for a set of headphones that don't leak much sound that are also pretty stylish to use for everyday use. I'm not gonna be using an amp, and will be mostly using my laptop and ipod. I'm looking for a set that are really bassy with a lot of boom. I can spend anywhere up to around $250. I had a pair of Sennheiser hd555's, and modded them, but they leaked so much sound, so my go to buds are the klipsch image s4's for everyday use. I was looking at the Denon d1100, but want more feedback. Thanks!

XB500/HFI580. Although if you only care about bass...Beats?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Great idea. I think I'll copy what I posted on a thread I made in here. Hope I get more advice here.

(After looking around a bit, my mind is set on a pair of AKG K240 mkIIs. I like the reviews I've been reading on it. My mind isn't completely set so if there's something that I should know about these cans, it would be much appreciated.)

Quote:
I'm going to apologize ahead of time if I show any ignorance towards this topic.

I'm really sorry I have to post another one of these awful threads (I know you guys get bombarded with these every five seconds). I've been doing some homework but I'm having trouble deciding between several headphones: The M50s, the DT770s or the DT990. All of these are sold at a local shop for a rather reasonable price, but I don't know which one of these really suits my taste in music.

Firstly, I suppose I need to tell you all what genre of music I listen to: I primarily listen to more hardcore metal (Death metal, prog. metal and a lot of that new garbage), metal, rock and very little classic. I currently own the Grado SR60is and honestly, I really like them. They don't really require a lot of power to drive (so I can listen to them on my laptop and iPod), I know they're known around here as "the King of Rock", but I'm hoping I could find better without going over a mere budget of $200.

I'm also open to recommendations (if any of you have any), again, I'm looking for something that doesn't go over my small budget of $200, I'm primarily going to be using them for home listening (if they're portable and don't require a lot of power like the M50s then I guess I could use it with my DAP.), I'm also open to both open and closed headphones but I really couldn't care less as long as they sound good (I personally prefer open headphones).

Finally, I just want to thank all of you ahead of time and let you know that my audio setup is very barebone. I'm open to getting a headphone amp sometime in the future but at the moment, it might not seem likely.

EDIT: I'm also considering the AKG K240 mk II or the AKG K271 mk II. I know people don't often recommend AKGs for my personal taste in music, but I've seen some good things on them. It's mainly being considered now due to the fact that I really like the company. I think they make nice products and majority of them are (to me) eye pleasing and have a cool look to them. Shallow, I know :frowning2:.

Try the ones you can try and pick the one you like the most. Although I will admit to liking the K240 a lot (they aren't called groovalizers for nothing!) I'm not sure that they'd be the best for hardcore especially in your situation. They're a bit...slow unamped. Honestly, I preferred my K271 for that genre, but I'm probably the only one who feels that way. They tend to lack bass for that. And like power. Honestly, I'd save up your money until you can get an amp. Anything you get now won't be a justifiable upgrade (yes, it'll be better, but not exponentially so.) to your Grados for your genres.

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #34 of 29,490

Quote:
Ishcabible  
who you think about ms50, Sennheiser D595, 280 pro, ad700, 448? 

I was recently shopping for $100 closed heaphones and based on my testing and research I'd recommend the Shure SRH440s over the HD280s for sure. Not sure about the rest but the HD448s also get great reviews though are considered a little less "lively" than the SRH440s. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #35 of 29,490
oops! i just saw this after starting a thread. i will just post here and delete the thread then. thanks in advance for the help!

I produce techno, tech house, deep house, and a bit of progressive house. I have a well treated room and use event opals as my monitors. Unfortunately, i cannot be in my studio all the time and so I want a nice pair of headphones that I can mix on accurately. Also, it would be nice to have them to check any mixes on, period. I would consider closed or open back although I understand open are generally more accurate. I currently have a pair of sony 7506's that I find to be completely unsuitable as they are very bright and I find the bass to fall apart, etc. I also have a pair of dt770 pro's and I find them to be incredibly dark and quite bass heavy. Really nt a fan! I just want a pair of accurate, tight, clear cans that translate well. After doing some research the best options seem to be:

-AKG K701

-Sennheiser HD600

-Sennheiser HD650

i've also considered the ultrasone pro 750 but i hear mixed reviews, and the grado 325's but i think theyre too forward for my needs.

so what do you guys think between these three cans? any other suggestions? thanks for the help! glad to finally join your fine forum.

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #38 of 29,490
HD650 is also quite dark. Not as bass heavy, but quite dark. Many people like it though since it easily puts you into a smooth mood.

AKG k701 is really awesome for mixing. I don't know if you'd enjoy listening out of them though. Instead of sounding like music, K701 sounds like it's pulling music apart to show you what's there. Great for picking out details, bad for musicality.

HD600 might be your best bet. I don't own them personally. But everyone agrees that they are less dark than HD650.

Quote:
oops! i just saw this after starting a thread. i will just post here and delete the thread then. thanks in advance for the help!

I produce techno, tech house, deep house, and a bit of progressive house. I have a well treated room and use event opals as my monitors. Unfortunately, i cannot be in my studio all the time and so I want a nice pair of headphones that I can mix on accurately. Also, it would be nice to have them to check any mixes on, period. I would consider closed or open back although I understand open are generally more accurate. I currently have a pair of sony 7506's that I find to be completely unsuitable as they are very bright and I find the bass to fall apart, etc. I also have a pair of dt770 pro's and I find them to be incredibly dark and quite bass heavy. Really nt a fan! I just want a pair of accurate, tight, clear cans that translate well. After doing some research the best options seem to be:

-AKG K701
-Sennheiser HD600
-Sennheiser HD650

i've also considered the ultrasone pro 750 but i hear mixed reviews, and the grado 325's but i think theyre too forward for my needs.

so what do you guys think between these three cans? any other suggestions? thanks for the help! glad to finally join your fine forum.

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #39 of 29,490
yea it seems like i am really between the 701 and 600, but its s hard to know which would be better without actually hearing them! i wish somene could just tell me what to do :) maybe i will just order both so i can listen to them and then return one of them. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #40 of 29,490
I'm no expert and am not familiar with the K271 but among the other three I would say the M50 if you like bass heavy music (electronica, hip hop, etc) and the SRH440 if you prefer a more neutral sound signature (it still has punchy controlled bass, but is less colored by the low end IMO). The HD280 seemed flat and lifeless in comparison to the others I tried and was uncomfortably tight on the head (like a clamp!).

Quote:
Quote:
thanks. I am now thinking about buying audio-techica ath-m50, akg k271, SRH440 and sennheiser 280 pro

Dec 20, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #41 of 29,490
thanks.
I do not often listen to hip-shop, drum & bass, dubstep, and this sort of music, so I do notknow about the M50. Thanks, by the way I'd like to see more options might I have missed something

Dec 20, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #42 of 29,490

Quote:
Ishcabible  
who you think about ms50, Sennheiser D595, 280 pro, ad700, 448? 

Hated the AD700 (it just sounded totally off to me, yet I still want to try the AD2000), haven't tried anything else there other than the M50 for a few minutes.

Dec 20, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #43 of 29,490
I'm wondering if a portable amp would improve the volume and sound quality of my Beyerdynamic DT770/80 ohms while being driven by my Macbook Pro and my iPhone. I've noticed that the mids are a bit recessed and if a portable amp can improve this issue, then I would be more than happy to shell out $50-100 on one. Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Dec 20, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #45 of 29,490

Quote:

-AKG K701

-Sennheiser HD600

-Sennheiser HD650

Hey,
I've not heard the 701's, but between the Sennheiser models you listed, the 600 has the tightest sound and are the most neutral sounding (through the sound of their padding). The 650 sounds similar but has a bigger soundstage and boomier bass; its bass boom colours the music nicely, but I find it can detract from the neutrality of the source. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back