++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #11,581 of 29,490
Looking for a possible upgrade for my CALs, which I love, but looking for better sound quality. I listen to all kinds of music and my source would be my laptop. Looking to spend around $150-200, but only if I can get a noticiable upgrade from my CALs. Thanks!

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #11,582 of 29,490
Quick question, I have the Beyerdynamic DT235s and love the sound, the bass, mids and treble are all fine. BUT they need an amp, they just don't go loud enough on either my sansa clip or from my Asus DS soundcard.

I was going to buy a Fiio E11 for £41, but I noticed the Sony ZX700 on offer for £55 and having read that they don't need an amp to reach good volumes I'm wondering if it might be a better way to go. 

As I enjoy the DT 235s do you think the ZX700s would be a good upgrade for me?

Many thanks
Dan

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #11,584 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for a possible upgrade for my CALs, which I love, but looking for better sound quality. I listen to all kinds of music and my source would be my laptop. Looking to spend around $150-200, but only if I can get a noticiable upgrade from my CALs. Thanks!

Might be cheap just to get a Fiio E10 to use with the CALs.
or maybe a cmoy portable headphone amplifier.

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #11,585 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello!  I'm new to this website and I need some advice.  I'm not sure if this is the right thread to be posting in, but I'm looking for a pair of wireless headphones.  They're for me to listen to music while I'm lying in bed, and they have to be wireless so that I don't accidentally strangle myself with a cord when I fall asleep. XD  The price range should be somewhere between $100 - $250.   I'm going to run the music out through my laptop so the range doesn't have to be very far at all.  I maily listen to Japanese music, so the bass doesn't have to be very strong, but I don't mind if it is.  Having clear mids and highs are more important, though.  I haven't owned any headphones before, so I'm open to any and all suggestions, no matter how many.  Thanks again for your help!

Look into the MEElectronics Air-Fi bluetooth cans. THey're relatively new, but MEE has a pretty good reputation, and they should be decent.

Quote:
Here's a rather noobie question, but, seeing as how determining which headphones are better than another is subjective, is there a store that offers a sort of "trial" period for headphones?  I've noticed in other threads that people mention buying two headphones and returning the one they do not like.  I'm a college student so I can't afford to buy an expensive pair of headphones and then realize I do not like them.  What are some stores or sites that offer this kind of service?  Also, is it usually a full refund or a partial refund?

I've bought IEMs from Best Buy and returned them, no problem. I think it might depend on the store, though.

Quote:

I have 110$ saved up and I want to buy over-ear portable headphones.

I listen to all kind of music genres but more inclined to metal and rock.
My fav bands are :
Metallica
slipknot
SOAD
pink flyod
megadeth
linkin park
coldplay
adele 
breakin benjamin etc

so its a mixture of hard and soft music

I want some decent closed headies

I am looking at ATH-m50s,shure 440/840,ath-ws55i.
I like m50s very much[design wise] but if you guys have got a better option tell me.
I gonna plug them into my philips gogear mp3 player.

I know you guys will say why don't you just look around the forum you will find many similar posts but they all are confusing me.

Some say m50s aren't comfortable some say they are etc

Also the music genre suitable for the respective headies is not specified.

Please help me out.
ty a lot.

The M50s are pretty comfortable, and would work well with your genres in general.

Quote:
ath-ws55 or ws70?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-96-portable-headphones-reviewed-v-moda-m-80-added-11-27-11

Quote:
I'm going to be making my first big purchase next week. I've been saving up for months.

I've narrowed it down to: HD-800, Audeze LCD-2 and HE-500. Here is why I keep going back and forth:

Sensitive ears! Yes, my ears can get fatigued pretty easily. I've owned SR-80s for years, and never had an issue. But when I recently tried the PS500's, I was getting ear aches, and i felt like my head had been boxed in. I believe it was due to the boomy bass. I know, PS500's are considered "mellow" headphones. And yet, I still would get the headaches. I put on my SR-80s and compared, and again no fatigue (SR-80's aren't as bassy). 

This is why on some level, I'm learning towards the HD-800's. Because they have a large soundstage. And I think I would get less fatigue. They are also probably the most physically comfortable headphones. But the downside to that is: lack of bass (I hear?) and you really need to have a good pairing amp to bring the best out of it. 

But then...I think, LCD-2 might have the bass, but if it's a very smooth, natural, sound, then maybe my ears won't be irritated. Then well, I've heard nothing but good things about the HE-500. I know I'm being somewhat vague here. And to be honest, I'm a bit of a noob. So how I describe the headphones above, or my understanding of them could be completely off. But essentially: I don't want too aggressive of a headphone. I want a smooth sound. 

Do you have an amp? Sorry if this seems obvious, but I have to check in case...

Quote:
I have a pair of AKG k518LE that I really like but I end up using my Sennheiser (HD 535) often because the AKG's are really uncomfortable (too small for my head). I've been looking to buy a pair of over-ear headphones for a while but kept brushing it off... Anyway, my Sennheiser's are falling apart and seeing that I need $70 in replacement parts, I figure I should buy about now. I listen to a lot of electric music (in other words, dubstep) so something that has bass (but not overpowering) and is within the $50-100 range. I'm considering Audio-Technica M30's and Sony XB500's but am open to suggestions. What do you guys recommend? (Something on Amazon is preferable)

The XB500 have pretty overwhelming bass, so they might not be for you. See if you can find the Denon D1100 or Creative Aurvana Lives.

Quote:
^Same. I am looking to buy over-ear headphones for $100 or less. Mainly looking at 
comfort
aesthetics
sound quality
durability
Also, I'll be using my samsung galaxy s 4g, or creative zen (old model) to play music, so if I need a better audio output please tell. 
I'm not really sure whether I want open or closed either, so if you could give one suggestion of each, that would be great. 

Creative Aurvana lives, AKG K81/181

Quote:
New here.
Looking for a new pair of headphones.
Budget-$500 for amp and pair of headphones, if an amp is absolutely needed.
They will be used for minor gaming, mostly for music. The thing is that I listen to almost everything. From Dave Matthews to In Flames, Tech N9ne to KoL, Tupac to Ben Harper. 
Basically looking for a good all around headphone.

AKG Q701/E10 might work, or maybe HD600/Some midrange amp.

Quote:
Hello,

I come back with my questions :)
I have an ipod classic 4th generation. The 4th Gen iPods have a Wolfson WM8975 audio chip in them. I would like to use the doc connector like the lineout with a LOD cable.
I listen rock (radiohead, bjork, sigur ros, smashing, etc..) pop-rock (coldplay for example) trip hop (massive attack, portishead,...) rock seventies (led zep) and classic (requiem faure, mozart, wagner, etc...)
I would like to buy a new headphone :
AKG K271 MK II (55 ohm) : I can read it is very neutral and the big default is the bass and low bass but the price is very very interesting
BeyerDynamic DT880 PRO 250 ohm or 600 ohm : very nice can but more expensive and a little bit out of my budget :frowning2:

So if i use an amp for the AKG is it better for the bass ?
I read a lot of thread ofr a lot of cans but it seems to be difficult to have the good choice.

If you can help me !
Thank you.

Wait, how do you plan on using the lineout? do you have an amp to feed that into? That may help fill out the bottom end a bit if you're not satisfied. Also, will you be using them on the go? THat affects whether you want open or closed cans.

Quote:
Hello Head-Fi,

New here. I was wondering if anybody could help me out because i am completely lost.

I am looking for a new pair of headphones + a portable amp.
I will be using a MBP13"(2011) and an Ipod Nano 4th gen.
I mainly listen to techno.

My budget is around 300 euros.

I've been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 770 250Ohm but i'm not sure they would go well with my style of music.
Also i have no idea wich amp to use...

I've also looked into the 880's but that one is semi-open so probably not a good idea to take onto the road.
The Shure 840 has been recommended to me, but from reviews they say its well balanced but compared to the 770 it doesn't have that much bass. ( And i also don't like the look all that much ).

Argh please help me :D

I take it you want something you can use semi-portably. For more bass, look into the Denon D2000/5000.

Quote:
Hello, guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. 

I guess you could say I'm a budding audiophile -- I enjoy HEARING good music, and have an impulsive trigger finger when it comes to my upgrading my wares (much to the chagrin of my wallet).

I own a pair of HD-280's, SRH-840, and my IEMs are Orotofon EQ-7's. Amp is FiiO E11. 

The 840's are my most recent purchase. I travel fair amount between the United States and Asia, and I wanted something with a solid amount of isolation paired with a more neutral-ish/dynamic sound (if that's possible). My first choice(s) were the HM5 and FA-003, but had trouble finding them in stock anywhere (which is all good and well, as I prefer to buy through Amazon due to their liberal return policy and my Prime membership), so I opted for the 840's. So far I wouldn't say that I am unhappy, per se, but they aren't exactly knocking me off my feet. I've burnt them in about 25-30 hours, and they are comfortable and the sound is good -- but I'm finding they aren't as refined as I'd like. The difference is certainly distinguishable from the relative flatness of my HD-280s, but I was expecting more. Maybe they need more burn time? 

I'm leaning towards returning them.

I listen primarily to electronica, classic and alternative rock. However, I also get in the mood for thumping hip-hop/r&b at times. While I am far from a basshead, I would like my phones to have that level of versatility. I mentioned having considered the FA003/HM5, but was also taking a look at the Ultrasone line, KNS-8400s, Denon AHD2000 .... I would say $200 is my ceiling, but it's flexible up to $250 (I'm already showing my weakness for quality audio). 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The HM5 might be too neutral if you want some extra bass, but I'd say the Ultrasones and the Denons look good.

Quote:
Hey fellas,

New to the board, and hoping I can find some help. I'm looking to upgrade my HD280 Pro's with a better set of headphones. The headphones will be used mostly for two purposes (for now): to monitor my sound board for live sound, and just simple listening to music while at the gym (don't mid if it's huge on my head while in the gym). For the live sound situations, I'm looking to buy an amp (maybe something from FiiO? you guys can help here too).

Budget around $200-$250 cap (headphone only).
Work with an amp (at FOH desk), and also work without an amp (at the gym, quality is not a concern here).
Great, if not best, sound quality. I'd like a little extra bass as well.
It has to be closed, and the most sound cancelling I can get to eliminate most of that 90+ db's at the FOH.
Comfortable, of course.

I was recommended an HD25 due to it's good sound cancellation and DJ nature, but I'm looking to see what else is available.

Any advice and suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

Similar cans to the HD25 might be the V-Moda M80s, M50, SRH840, HM5. For a cheap amp, look into the Fiio E10.

Quote:
This thread does not work so great....

If this was a sticky it would help.

If it was broken down into popular categories it would help more (buying under $$$, studio/mixing, ect.)

Sorry, but posts come up very quickly, and we can't be checking every 5 minutes. The other thing is that the same questions get repeated very regularly, making the whole thing very repetitive.

Quote:
Still trying to find an answer,

Thanks guys

Quote:
Hey,

I've kind of been "out" of the head-fi scene for a bit, but I want to start back up and upgrade my current set up.

Primary Music Genres: Jazz, Funk, Fusion, Classical
Source: Desktop (AuzenTech Bravura)
Amp: Schiit Asgard
Current Full Cans: Sony MDR-V6
Current IEMs: Fischer Audio DBA-02s

I'm looking at:
1. HD600
2. HD650
3. AKG k701
4. DT880

I'm leading towards the HD600s, but I'm not entirely sure if that's going to really "match" my music genres. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Firemonkey

The hd600 sounds like it might work, but I think the Q701 might be an even better fit.

Quote:
Hey guys, me again. I looked into the grado sr80i's, and quickly realized they were the best audio quality wise headphones for $100, but the problem is, I didn't realize that everyone could hear it.

Basically now I'm looking for good headphones that I can pick up for $100, or less. Preferably less.  They can be used or new, and it doesn't matter whether or not they are in-ear or over-ear, but please not open-ear just because I don't want everyone hearing my music (unless I'm mistaken about them projecting the sound to everyone).  

Thanks again. 

Try the Creative Aurvana Lives or AKG K81s. For in-ears check out the MEE CC51/A151, and others in this thread:http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-218-iems-compared-fischer-audio-paradigm-v-3-fa-977-jazz-added-1-29-12

Quote:
I'm a beginner looking for a decent investment in a new pair of headphones and I need help deciding between a few different cans - can anyone suggest which one I should get or rank them?

Audio-Technica ATH-ES88
AKG K450
Beyerdynamic T50P
Grado SR60/SR-80

I listen to mostly R&B/Rap/Hip-Hop, if that really should factor in for a beginner.

Oh and I'm guessing all of those are closed headphones - I need them closed so I don't bother other people who are studying when I'm listening to them. Feel free to suggest something even better around the price range less than ~100-170

You;ll definitely want to add the M50s, Denon D1100, and the Ultrasone HFI580/780s. THe Grados might not have deep enough bass for your genres. The T50p is way out of your price range. If you can spend that much, add the HD25s and M80s.

Quote:

[size=small] Hi guys, I´ve recently bought a pair of krk kns6400, my first pair of good headphones, I´m very happy with them but now I would like to get a pair of open headphones for use exclusively at home (the krk I use at work, commute, etc.). My budget is $200, I might consider adding $100 more for a DAC/amp if it was necessary (my current source is my laptop and my sansa clip+). [/size]

I was looking at the Sennheiser HD558 and at the Audio technica ath ad700, are these any good? what are other similar option from another brand?. 

I´m from Chile, so please consider that shipping cost are usually 30-50 bucks.

thanks in advance. 

pd: I apologise if my english is not so good.

both those are good choices, if you like the Grado sound maybe check those out.

Quote:
Hi guys, im currently looking for a pair of decent headphone. Most of the times i'll be using it to listen to music, and movies.
I have just receive a tube amps for my birthday gift, so im looking forward to use this amp. My budjet is below $200

I have tried the ATH-PRO5M honestly saying i like it.
closed or open design i wouldnt mind which one, maybe some isolation is better.

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Closed: M50, SRH840, HM5, HFI780
Open: HD558, AD700

Quote:

Maybe the M50s, HM5, or HD25, but the diminishing returns might make the difference less than you'd expect.

Quote:
What are a pair of headphones with better active noise cancelling than the Bose QuietComfort 15 (which I think are a bit overpriced at $300)?

Bose ANC is actually pretty good, even though they are pretty expensive based on pure sound quality. I've heard people compare the Audio-Technica ANC cans favorably to Bose, however.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #11,587 of 29,490
What full size headphones leak the least amount of sound? While still sounding okay. Sound leakage is my biggest issue. I also want them to be comfortable, not clamping really hard or whatever.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #11,588 of 29,490

Quote:
What full size headphones leak the least amount of sound? While still sounding okay. Sound leakage is my biggest issue. I also want them to be comfortable, not clamping really hard or whatever.

i think those are kind of mutually exclusive. the best isolating phones i've heard are the sennheiser hd280 pros, but they clamp pretty hard and aren't for everybody.  i've heard the beyerdynamic dt770s are worth looking into as well, but i bet they clamp tightly as well.

maybe look into IEMs?

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #11,589 of 29,490

Quote:

Past a certain point, leakage will be pretty much nonexistant, so having the absolute most isolation at the expense of all else might not be the best idea. That being said, the HD280s are supposed to be very isolating both ways, as are the M50s, SRH840s, HM5s, and HD25s. Start there, but most closed cans leak very little.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #11,590 of 29,490
Hey all, 

here's the deal; I've had hands on with the Denon AH D1100s and I'm pretty much in love with how they handled some Michael Bublé FLACs. I love how warm they are and the way I felt 'surrounded' by the music. 
At the same time, I listen to all sorts of music. Anything from Ray Charles to Asking Alexandria, SOAD to Clint Mansell OSTs. I'm really a varied listener. 

I'm looking to spend about £100 on some decent cans, I'm wondering are there any other cans around £100 that I can look into?

Take into account that I can get the ADH1100s for £73 which RRP for about £120. Is this a killer deal or would it be worth shooting for another set?

Sources are FLACs and 320k mp3s from my Galaxy S2 , but mostly my PC -> foobar2000 -> ASUS Xonar DS -> Cans

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #11,591 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey all, 

here's the deal; I've had hands on with the Denon AH D1100s and I'm pretty much in love with how they handled some Michael Bublé FLACs. I love how warm they are and the way I felt 'surrounded' by the music. 
At the same time, I listen to all sorts of music. Anything from Ray Charles to Asking Alexandria, SOAD to Clint Mansell OSTs. I'm really a varied listener. 

I'm looking to spend about £100 on some decent cans, I'm wondering are there any other cans around £100 that I can look into?

Take into account that I can get the ADH1100s for £73 which RRP for about £120. Is this a killer deal or would it be worth shooting for another set?

Sources are FLACs and 320k mp3s from my Galaxy S2 , but mostly my PC -> foobar2000 -> ASUS Xonar DS -> Cans

If you liked they way they sounded, then just get them.  They're excellent headphones, and the price doesn't seem too bad.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #11,592 of 29,490
Shall definitely pick these up then. I was looking at the ATH AD700 and M50/S as alternatives. But considering i've no clue where i can demo them near me, I'll take the 1100s :wink:

One last Q;

Portable 'phone amps, FiiOs and the like, They worth splashing a little extra dough on with these 1100s?

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #11,593 of 29,490

[size=small] I had pretty much decided to get the senns HD558, but then realized that they cost about 260 usd shipped to my country, seems somewhat overpriced (like 80 bucks more) than what I expected based on what I´ve read on this forum. I have no problem spending 260 usd (pretty much the top of my budget) but are the HD558 the best I can get for that price, any other recommendations? (think of phones that cost about 230-230 usd, so its about 260 with shipping included)? [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] On the cheaper side I can also get the Alessandro MS-1 or the Audio technica ATH-ad700 for about 150 usd. Is the HD558 considerably better (100 buck better :p) than these?.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] thanks [/size]

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #11,595 of 29,490
Ello
I'm looking to upgrade from my Sennheiser 280 pro's 
[size=small] I have been using the Sennheiser's for a couple of years in music production. Looking to buy another pair of cans for listening to FLAC. Is it worth getting another pair or would an amp be a better purchase? Currently using my UA-25.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] It will be purely for home listening so doesn't matter too much about ruggidness or open back design[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Seems to be from the forums, that there's no one Headphone to rule them all so maybe this will help. I listen to a wide range of music from Zappa,The Who,Max Ritcher,Arcade fire Daft punk, Joanna Newsom, Tom Waits, Coltrane, Hendrix,Floyd with various classical and electronica thrown aobut.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Thanks in advance guys[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back