++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 21, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #8,416 of 29,490
It doesn't really matter if they're senn or not but I own two senns. the HD515 (lol) and the CX 680. Thought I'd diversify.

I'm located in Ontario, Canada. I know. It makes things difficult
frown.gif

Quote:
Why not Senns? Where are you located (taxes)? 

Stab in the dark would be Senn HD25-1 II. 

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #8,418 of 29,490

Quote:
Honestly speaking Armaegis, I've already read your reviews ^_^Loved it, but I've heard the HD25s, and it's an almost identical sound.
Any other suggestions, scratch portability actually. 

Hmm, perhaps the Beyer DT990 then. Very strong bass and treble presence, good durability.

Quote:
Yeah I'll check them out! I know we're talking about closed cans here but do you think the D1100 would beat out the SRH 440 in terms of soundstage? On that note, are there any closed cans with good soundstage? I feel like I'm being indecisive and would like some of everything
redface.gif

As always, I'm open to more suggestions. Here's what I'm looking for (in order of priority):

1. Something around $150 (Nothing over 200 taxed and shipped)2. Durable3. Closed4. 65% music (electronic, pop/hip-hop, soft rock), 35% gaming (RTS, FPS)5. Portable
6. Not Sennheiser (though if a pair of Senns are what fit the above needs, then I'll go with Senn)

In general, open is better than closed for soundstage. Bassy headphones tend to obscure staging as well. 

You can get a pair of Shure 840 on sale within your budget, or maybe a used Beyer DT250.

Quote:
Hey all, I'm new to Head-Fi!

I'm in the market for some closed cans <= $100. I'm a computer enthusiast who enjoys music (most commonly classical, but do enjoy pop music as well), and wants good, clean positional audio from games (particularly FPS). My current sound setup consists of an Asus Xonar DX sound card (which should have enough power to amp most headphones) and Sony MDR-XD200 (a $20 pair of cans.) I like bass, but not so much that it overshadows everything else.

I've done some research on the following, but am still unsure:
  1. Sennheiser HD 448
  2. Shure SRH-440
  3. Samson SR-850
  4. Sony MDR-V6
  5. Shure SRH-440
  6. Grado SR60i, SR80i

Please suggest which of these (or something entirely) would be best for my setup and usage habits. Thanks!

I would grab an open senn like the HD555.

edit: oh whoops I didn't notice the closed requirement... hmm I would say the Shure 440 or Sony V6 or ZX700, 

Oct 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #8,421 of 29,490
Haha that's OK :) How would you compare the V6 with the Shure? I know the V6 is the defacto standard of music studios everywhere, and the price is definitely right. Do the Shures offer any advantages that justify their ~$30 premium?

Oct 21, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #8,422 of 29,490
Hi. I'm interested in buying the Pioneer SE-DIR800C surround sound headphones for bluray and hd tv viewing mostly. My question is, what will happen if I play a bluray that has DTS HD only? I know the phones support DD 5.1 and DTS, but what about the newer HD versions of these formats? Will it convert the audio to regular DTS or will I get no audio out of it? (connected via optical cable)

Thanks

Oct 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #8,423 of 29,490

I'd get the D7000 personally. Especially it I only had E7. The Beyers would be my second choice buy they won't shine without a nice amp behind them.

IMO it's a tough choice either way.
Quote:
Terminator V4 (Darth Beyer V4) or denon d5000 or denon d7000. i listen to pop,rap,dubstep, alternative, classic (basicaly everything) i have a fiio e7

Oct 21, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #8,424 of 29,490

Quote:
Haha that's OK :) How would you compare the V6 with the Shure? I know the V6 is the defacto standard of music studios everywhere, and the price is definitely right. Do the Shures offer any advantages that justify their ~$30 premium?

They're in the same league, though I would say the Shures are more comfortable.

Oct 21, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #8,425 of 29,490
OK, I need some help big time.  I am looking for some headphones for around the house.  Can't be open because I need to be able to use them when I'm in the family room while others are watching TV.  I originally ordered the DT770s but got nervous they weren't efficient enough to run straight from an iPhone which is also a requirement.  I'll get an amp eventually but I'd rather have a set of cans designed for portables.

So, I got nervous and canceled the DT770s and ordered the T50p instead.  They came today.  What?  These things suck.  No bass at all, harsh highs, bizarre midrange I can't quite even describe.  The bass might improve a little but its never going to get deep.  It is seriously lacking in both extension and energy.  I could definitely see the highs smoothing out a bit but these are too deficient overall.

So what is the best pair of portable cans out there under $300 that are on the warm side of neutral but close to neutral and have good solid bass, but not boomy.

I have a pair of AKG Q460s at work that I really like but they're kind of mid-fi.  I was hoping for something a BIT more refined.  If no one has a suggestion, maybe I'll order another pair of the Q460s for home.

Other option is the B&W P5s.  They're not super neutral but they're pretty engaging and better than the AKGs....

Oct 21, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #8,426 of 29,490
Im looking to buy a pair of "real" headphones, i've been using a pair of Sennheiser for a couple of years now, but they've seen better days, so its time for a change.

The Beats by Dre pro has caught my attention, but i realize these are overpriced and i should be able to get a pair of similar or better for about half the price, the reason i glanced at the beats is because they claim to produce decent bass which i find rather important, but instead they lack in other areas which isn't acceptable in that price range.
So i've lurked the forums for a while now, and i've found a candidate or two, but some of the headphones you're talking about here isn't available here in sweden for some reason, maybe they're from old topic or whatever. 
So if anyone is willing to help, i want you to base your decision on this info:

I will be using these headphones mainly to my computer, i have a high end PC, with a low end audio card, but im okay with switching it to a better one. I don't use FLAC or anything similar as the source of my audio, i mainly use spotify premium at the moment, which plays audio in a bitrate of 320kbit/s if i remember correctly.
Anyway, i listen to pretty much every type of music, but im mainly in to trance, and a bit of dubsteb at the moment, so that's the important part. I listen to quite a bit of rock too, but not enough to base a decision on. Im also gonna be playing a bit of games with them, but doesn't really matter, the only thing you're looking for in gaming is a heavy bass, and a clear but not necessarily a well balanced treble.

I'm never gonna be using these phones with an external amp, i just find it too much of a hassle, if i want to bring them on a trip and hook them up to my phone, or laptop i would want them to sound just as (or almost as) good then.
Edit: i've been thinking about using an amp, i guess i could get used to it, but i refuse to pay as much for the amp as for the headphones itself, so the question is, would an amp for like ~$100 make any difference at all, or should i just skip it?

What usually bugs me about a pair of headphones is that if you play really loud, which tends to happen if the headphone has insufficient bass, the treble gets so loud and sharp, to the point where it hurts, and i don't want none of that :p

Another thing that is pretty much essential is the material the cushions is made of, i want them to be comfortably and feel "high end" so none of that plastic, they'll have to be either leather (which in some cases seem to get pretty hot after a few hours, but im okay with it) or soft fabric, which i tend to prefer.

So again, what got me looking at a pair of Beats, is mainly the huge selling point of a well performing bass, but they look pretty nice and comfy too.
some alternatives that i got from another thread on here are the Shure SR940 and ultrasone HFI 580, what are your thoughts on these too, compared to the beats, and you are more than welcome to give me tips about other headphone, and points as to what im should be looking for.
Edit: after spending som more time here, i also found these as being a good alternative, although lower in price, but they seem to be good value: the XB500, ATH-M50, and the denon AH-D1100

Thanks in advance.

Oct 21, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #8,427 of 29,490
Hey guys,

Like many here, I'm new to this site.

As a bit of back-story. I began my journey into expensive headphones with some Bose around-ears. I thought they were pretty good, but they broke. I then got the Beats Studios (Forgive me Father, for I have sinned). Took me a few weeks to realize how pathetic they were, and returned them. now here I am :D 

In returning the Beats, I now have a $300 budget. I'm looking for a pair of closed cans, since my life is pretty noisy. I'm a bass player, so I like a nice and clear but not boomy and over-powering bass. I look for headphones that can replicate what the artists intended for the listener to hear, I guess that would be audiophile-grade cans. I listen to mostly rock music, but I do so love classical and some jazz as well. Examples of rock include Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tool, Protest the Hero, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, etc. Any recommendations you guys can give? Thanks so much in advance! 

Main Points:
- Audiophile-grade
- $300 budget
- Closed cans
- Main genre is rock, but also classical and jazz

Oct 21, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #8,428 of 29,490

Quote:
OK, I need some help big time.  I am looking for some headphones for around the house.  Can't be open because I need to be able to use them when I'm in the family room while others are watching TV.  I originally ordered the DT770s but got nervous they weren't efficient enough to run straight from an iPhone which is also a requirement.  I'll get an amp eventually but I'd rather have a set of cans designed for portables.

So, I got nervous and canceled the DT770s and ordered the T50p instead.  They came today.  What?  These things suck.  No bass at all, harsh highs, bizarre midrange I can't quite even describe.  The bass might improve a little but its never going to get deep.  It is seriously lacking in both extension and energy.  I could definitely see the highs smoothing out a bit but these are too deficient overall.

So what is the best pair of portable cans out there under $300 that are on the warm side of neutral but close to neutral and have good solid bass, but not boomy.

I have a pair of AKG Q460s at work that I really like but they're kind of mid-fi.  I was hoping for something a BIT more refined.  If no one has a suggestion, maybe I'll order another pair of the Q460s for home.

Other option is the B&W P5s.  They're not super neutral but they're pretty engaging and better than the AKGs....

shameless plug: http://www.head-fi.org/t/574617/review-comparison-beyerdynamic-dt1350-t50p-sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-hd25-13-ii-pioneer-hdj-2000-v-moda-m80-aiaiai-tma-1

Quote:
Im looking to buy a pair of "real" headphones, i've been using a pair of Sennheiser for a couple of years now, but they've seen better days, so its time for a change.

The Beats by Dre pro has caught my attention, but i realize these are overpriced and i should be able to get a pair of similar or better for about half the price, the reason i glanced at the beats is because they claim to produce decent bass which i find rather important, but instead they lack in other areas which isn't acceptable in that price range.
So i've lurked the forums for a while now, and i've found a candidate or two, but some of the headphones you're talking about here isn't available here in sweden for some reason, maybe they're from old topic or whatever. 
So if anyone is willing to help, i want you to base your decision on this data:

I will be using these headphones mainly to my computer, i have a high end PC, with a low end audio card, but im okay with switching it to a better one. I don't use FLAC or anything similar as the source of my audio, i mainly use spotify premium at the moment, which plays audio in a bitrate of 320kbit/s if i remember correctly.
Anyway, i listen to pretty much every type of music, but im mainly in to trance, and a bit of dubsteb at the moment, so that's the important part. I listen to quite a bit of rock too, but not enough to base a decision on. Im also gonna be playing a bit of games with them, but doesn't really matter, the only thing you're looking for in gaming is a heavy bass, and a clear but not necessarily a well balanced treble.

I'm never gonna be using these phones with an external amp, i just find it too much of a hassle, if i want to bring them on a trip and hook them up to my phone, or laptop i would want them to sound just as (or almost as) good then.

What usually bugs me about a pair of headphones is that if you play really loud, which tends to happen if the headphone has insufficient bass, the treble gets so loud and sharp, to the point where it hurts, and i don't want none of that :p

Another thing that is pretty much essential is the material the cushions is made of, i want them to be comfortably and feel "high end" so none of that plastic, they'll have to be either leather (which in some cases seem to get pretty hot after a few hours, but im okay with it) or soft fabric, which i tend to prefer.

So again, what got me looking at a pair of Beats, is mainly the huge selling point of a well performing bass, but they look pretty nice and comfy too.
some alternatives that i got from another thread on here are the Shure SR940 and ultrasone HFI 580, what are your thoughts on these too, compared to the beats, and you are more than welcome to give me tips about other headphone, and points as to what im should be looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Shure 840 for more bass over the 940.

Ultrasone HFi580/Pro750 are good bassy options (as is the Pro900, but that might have too much treble as well)

Quote:
Hey guys,

Like many here, I'm new to this site.

As a bit of back-story. I began my journey into expensive headphones with some Bose around-ears. I thought they were pretty good, but they broke. I then got the Beats Studios (Forgive me Father, for I have sinned). Took me a few weeks to realize how pathetic they were, and returned them. now here I am :D 

In returning the Beats, I now have a $300 budget. I'm looking for a pair of closed cans, since my life is pretty noisy. I'm a bass player, so I like a nice and clear but not boomy and over-powering bass. I look for headphones that can replicate what the artists intended for the listener to hear, I guess that would be audiophile-grade cans. I listen to mostly rock music, but I do so love classical and some jazz as well. Examples of rock include Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tool, Protest the Hero, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, etc. Any recommendations you guys can give? Thanks so much in advance! 

Main Points:
- Audiophile-grade
- $300 budget
- Closed cans
- Main genre is rock, but also classical and jazz

Music as the artists intended usually means *not* bass heavy reproduction, because it would have already been recorded that way... 

Well there's the Shure 840/940, Denon D2000, Pioneer HDJ-2000, Ultrasone HFI780... 

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #8,429 of 29,490
So how does one "burn in" headphones?  Do I blast music overnight while I'm AFK?  I remember running Prime95 overnight back when I overclocked my computer.
redface.gif

Also, I think I'm going with the Beyer 990's.  I like what I've read about them.  

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #8,430 of 29,490
Same idea but don't blast music. Put on music as slightly above your normal listening level and just let them go. 100 to 150 hours seems to be standard for most reviews.

Quote:
So how does one "burn in" headphones?  Do I blast music overnight while I'm AFK?  I remember running Prime95 overnight back when I overclocked my computer.
redface.gif

Also, I think I'm going with the Beyer 990's.  I like what I've read about them.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back