++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 2, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #7,786 of 29,490
Looking for a flat and revealing as possible headphone to pair with my upcoming Phonitor for critical monitoring.

Price is no object. Gimme the best of the best that makes things sound their worst. 

I'll again mention the SRH940's since they offer a lot of detail, but my headphone experience is very limited to make a better recommendation. The review for the 940's is in my signature.

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #7,787 of 29,490
Looking for a Sub $80 Closed Headphone/Headset

Requirements: 
  1. Closed 
  2. Strong bass but not to the point of becoming muddy
  3. Able to play bands from Foo Fighters to John Legend to Ne-Yo
  4. Comfy for extended periods of time ~3hrs+
  5. If a headset, good mic quality; crisp
  6. If a headphone, a relatively cheap attachable mic or desktop mic if better
  7. Bonus if not flimsy
  8. Prioritize music quality first then gaming quality

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #7,788 of 29,490

Quote:
Got a question here for my bros in this thread. 

If I want the most revealing, critical headphone I can get...what is it?

DT 880? K70x?

Looking for a flat and revealing as possible headphone to pair with my upcoming Phonitor for critical monitoring.

Price is no object. Gimme the best of the best that makes things sound their worst.

Hmm, in Tyll's latest review I think the HD800 was his detail headphone of choice.

Quote:
Are there some suggestions a bit more convenient than that?

Denon D2000 is really nice. Deep reaching bass that isn't overly emphasized, and a nice even response across the rest of the spectrum.

Quote:
I'm looking for a set of headphones from B&H photo (when shipping to Canada they seem to give the best deal) and have a budget of ~$100. I just wanted with decent bass and minimal sound leakage. Any recommendations would be awesome.

Try Long & McQuade... AGK K81, Pioneer HDJ-500, Shure 440,

Quote:
Looking for a Sub $80 Closed Headphone/Headset

Requirements: 
  1. Closed 
  2. Strong bass but not to the point of becoming muddy
  3. Able to play bands from Foo Fighters to John Legend to Ne-Yo
  4. Comfy for extended periods of time ~3hrs+
  5. If a headset, good mic quality; crisp
  6. If a headphone, a relatively cheap attachable mic or desktop mic if better
  7. Bonus if not flimsy
  8. Prioritize music quality first then gaming quality

perhaps the Pioneer HDJ-500 ?

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #7,789 of 29,490

As Armaegis said, probably the HD800, or the HE6 if the Phonitor is man enough to drive it. That's about as detailed as it gets, short of electrostats.

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #7,791 of 29,490
What about the highly acclaimed Audeze LCD-2?

I did give them a quick listen before, but the tonal balance isn't really tuned to extract maximum detail, like the HD800. It's there, just not that noticeable.

Heh heh... 'price is no object.' I've always wondered if I would see those four words in this thread.

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #7,792 of 29,490
It's happened before. :D

Quote:
Quote:

I did give them a quick listen before, but the tonal balance isn't really tuned to extract maximum detail, like the HD800. It's there, just not that noticeable.

Heh heh... 'price is no object.' I've always wondered if I would see those four words in this thread.

I've ordered an LCD 2, but I know it's certainly not the best for critical monitoring. 

Quote:
Quote:
As Armaegis said, probably the HD800, or the HE6 if the Phonitor is man enough to drive it. That's about as detailed as it gets, short of electrostats.

The HE-6 might be the way to go as I didn't consider the HD800 because the 'detail' has been said to come from coloration rather than just being a balanced headphone. Also, the Phonitor's putting about 8 watts into the HE-6. Super manly amp. lol 

Quote:
Quote:

EDIT: Might end up with a K702 and then worry about something more high end (like the HE-6) in the future. I'm getting too far ahead of myself since I don't even have the Phonitor yet. :D

Oct 3, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #7,796 of 29,490
About to purchase headphones tonight and have it narrowed down to 3:

Sony MDR-XB1000
Sony MDR-XB700
Beyerdynamic DT770

This is the type of music I will be listening to the most:  http://youtu.be/ho3eWfpjaaM
Will be using majority of time with iPhone/iPod/iPad.

1.  I am leaning towards the XB1000, but have read several times that the XB700 sound the same if not better for bass...I like the 1000 look better but not sure if its worth double the price.

2.  In my last post someone recomended the DT770 over the Sony's...any additional thoughts on this?

3.  Based on the youtube video, which pair would you recommend?

4.  Do the XB1000's dominate the Beats by Dre Studio/Pro?

5.  Have also read that XB1000 don't do too well on iPhone etc, and need an amp...any comments on this?

6.  I have the Z550 Logitech System connected to my comp and they bump pretty hard...anyone compare Z550 type sound to the XB1000?

Oct 3, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #7,797 of 29,490
I would get dt 770 with a fiio e5

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #7,799 of 29,490
About to purchase headphones tonight and have it narrowed down to 3:

Sony MDR-XB1000
Sony MDR-XB700
Beyerdynamic DT770

This is the type of music I will be listening to the most:  http://youtu.be/ho3eWfpjaaM
Will be using majority of time with iPhone/iPod/iPad.

1.  I am leaning towards the XB1000, but have read several times that the XB700 sound the same if not better for bass...I like the 1000 look better but not sure if its worth double the price.

2.  In my last post someone recomended the DT770 over the Sony's...any additional thoughts on this?

3.  Based on the youtube video, which pair would you recommend?

4.  Do the XB1000's dominate the Beats by Dre Studio/Pro?

5.  Have also read that XB1000 don't do too well on iPhone etc, and need an amp...any comments on this?

6.  I have the Z550 Logitech System connected to my comp and they bump pretty hard...anyone compare Z550 type sound to the XB1000?

Personally, I would take the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro over the Sony's,
Do not like the sound from Sony XBs
But Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro series are really at their best with a headphone amplifier.

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #7,800 of 29,490
The Dt-770 pro 80ohm has great bass, but I agree that it sounds much better with an amplifier.  Without one, it can be pretty un-dynamic/boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back