++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 10, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #4,531 of 29,490
My budget is in the range of the phones I listed.... I don't intend to go over $250, and will preferably spend considerably less than that. Which puts the D2000 just above the top of that range (from a quick ebay search), and the other Denons right out. As for the AD700s, I understand that they're an open design which is not so good for sound leakage in an office environment?

Also, I should mention that I'm intending to run the cans straight out of a PC with no amp.

I just bought the m50s and i have been recommending them left and right to all my friends. It seems to be the perfect headphone for everyone but let me tell you it sounds like it was made for your situation.

1. They are cheap. I just got my for 109 bucks.
2. closed design, great for office.
3. they run VERY well unamped

Edit: I have no idea how they will fit on you but I love the way they fit on my head. =)

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #4,532 of 29,490

Quote:
Well, a little bit of everything including FPS. I find my ad700's lacking on bass for the explosions and i want something bassier. Probably not a good idea right? what would you recommend?  

You can give the Ultrasones a try. I tried them on with Black Ops, and they very good with positioning and "fun" explosions. Definitely worth a look at.

Jun 10, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #4,534 of 29,490
Hello,

I am looking for a quality circumaural pair of headphones that offer sound quality/detail, sound isolation, and work well without an amp.

I usually use a Zen Vision: M for my listening, I listen to mainly electronica(Daft Punk) and progressive(Spock's Beard).

I heard great things about the ATH-A900, but I am concerned on how it would work on a portable player without an amp.

Price range, I'd like to be preferably below $200

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #4,536 of 29,490
Jun 10, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #4,537 of 29,490

Quote:
I am looking for some comfortable headphones for wearing all day at work (i.e. 8 hours+). Based on reviews I have read I am leaning towards looking at the ATH M-50, SRH 840 or maybe HD 25-1. Any advice regarding comfort and/or sound would be much appreciated. I listen to a very wide variety of genres including classical, jazz, blues, pop, prog rock, hard rock and metal.

My current headphones are Fostex T20RP mk II, which sound great but unfortunately are really not comfortable to wear for long periods.

HD25 are described as more of a fun sound and cause major ear fatigue after 4 hours of use. A great phone, but don't buy if you plan on using them all day.

Jun 10, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #4,538 of 29,490
So, i narrowed it down between these: the in ear she3580, the sbchp460 (full size) and the shl8800 (full size). Which one has more bass? Which one is most resistant? And which one is the overall best? I listen to metal and i will be using the headphones with the Nokia 5130 Xpress Music.

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #4,539 of 29,490

Quote:
So, i narrowed it down between these: the in ear she3580, the sbchp460 (full size) and the shl8800 (full size). Which one has more bass? Which one is most resistant? And which one is the overall best? I listen to metal and i will be using the headphones with the Nokia 5130 Xpress Music.

I highly recommend you choose what style of headphone you want to buy FIRST before narrowing down your options. It is difficult to compare full size and in ear but the full size generally have more bass.

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #4,540 of 29,490
I'm looking for some headphones for listening to dubstep with, mainly Reso and his various projects. Plenty of his music can be found on YouTube to give you an idea. The 'phones should have some serious deep bass extension, and as little coloration as possible (i.e. neutral warmth). I've become addicted to sub-bass. 
tongue.gif
 There should be a fair to profound emphasis on the bass in terms of signature (but no emphasis in mid-bass please!) since I'm going to be mainly listening to dubstep on 'em. 

So, any suggestions? 
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Ah yes, my budget, sorry guys! It will be anywhere up to £400, but at that price I think I'd want something pretty special from a bass 'phone. KThx!

Jun 10, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #4,541 of 29,490

Quote:

You can give the Ultrasones a try. I tried them on with Black Ops, and they very good with positioning and "fun" explosions. Definitely worth a look at.

+1 on that. I use the HFI-780 paired with an Astro MixAmp (I game on a console, so that's how I get Dolby Headphone) for most of my gaming, and it's... awesome. I love it. If I'm being competitive (multiplayer), I'll switch to an open headset because the bass is otherwise distracting, but other than that... I'm loathe to give up the 780. 

Jun 10, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #4,542 of 29,490
Hi, I've finally made up my mind and have got it down to 2 cans for my first serious pair. I've got it down to the Ath-AD900 and the Ath-A900. What's the difference between these 2 cans other then 1 being open and the other closed? Which would be better for me? I listen to Blues, Rock, Classical, Metal, Instrumental (Usually guitar- Steve Vai, Jeff Beck, etc.), and Jazz. I might get an amp if I can round up the cash in the future but as of now I don't have one. I really don't think they would leave the house so isolation is no problem. (I have already searched for threads about these 2 but would like a little more insight.) 
Help would be brilliant, thanks! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #4,543 of 29,490
Ok guys, I know this has probably been done to death and I apologize. However I'm agonizing too much over this decision and now that I've narrowed myself down to two choices I don't want to make another thread and clutter up the forum more.

I'm looking for a very comfortable pair of open back headphones. Comfortable like I could wear them all day, with my glasses on, and not be bothered by their presence. I also want a very open soundstage with good separation for games and movies; non-competitive games being the primary use. My budget is $150. These will paired with a JDS Labs cMoy Bass Boost.

I've narrowed my choices down to Audio-Technica's AD700s ($93 on Amazon) and Sennheiser's HD595s ($147 on Amazon). I cannot decide which seems to be the better buy.

Jun 10, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #4,544 of 29,490
Does anyone know a pair of headphones around $150 (new or used) that sound like modded JVC HA RX700's, only better? Mainly I'm looking for "fun" closed or semiopen headphones with a massive soundstage and a sound that's bass heavy, but not to the extent of Beats or DJ headphone - the thing I like about the 700's is that they're definitely not balanced, but manage to sound somewhat neutral despite it. I just want something with a better midrange, which is kind of crap on the 700's, and maybe a bit more detail.

Right now I'm looking at Ultrasones and Beyerdynamic DT770's or 880's - are these good choices, or is there something closer?

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #4,545 of 29,490
Quote:
Does anyone know a pair of headphones around $150 (new or used) that sound like modded JVC HA RX700's, only better? Mainly I'm looking for "fun" closed or semiopen headphones with a massive soundstage and a sound that's bass heavy, but not to the extent of Beats or DJ headphone - the thing I like about the 700's is that they're definitely not balanced, but manage to sound somewhat neutral despite it. I just want something with a better midrange, which is kind of crap on the 700's, and maybe a bit more detail.

Right now I'm looking at Ultrasones and Beyerdynamic DT770's or 880's - are these good choices, or is there something closer?

To a first approximation, the 880s have no isolation.  I'd scratch it off the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back