++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 11, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #22,096 of 29,490
Hello, I have a question about SteelSeries Siberia V2 from eBay: I saw versions in ebay that come without usb sound card or extension cable and at a quite cheap price and I was wondering if they are real and will have the same quality as any other siberia v2 or they are fake and sound quality will be bad? ty

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #22,097 of 29,490
Going from the Koss SB40 to a $200 pair of headphones is going to be a large leap in sound quality.

Btw, you have the wrong impression of AKGs, they tend to be bass-shy.

Some recommendations:

AKG K271 MkII
AKG K167 (recently released, check the impressions thread)
Shure SRH840
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Audio Technica ATH-AD900
Sennheiser HD598/558
You could also grab a used K701/Q701 and an FiiO E10 for ~$250.

Think id go with the AD900's but can anyone tell me the ear cup size and if they leak a lot of sound?
Thanks.

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #22,100 of 29,490
hello everyone, im very new here at head-fi. i used to be a lurker here reading reviews and stuff and decided to sign up after i was hooked at getting quality cans. i had to ditch the iems because those made my ears bleed at some point (maybe irritation or something, its just the outer part so no worries) so my very first pair is a superlux HD651 (comfort is not good), then replaced it with a sennheiser PX-100 II (great cans but being open it kinda disturbs my office cluster once i pump the volume up) and then my latest, a sennheiser HD439 with FiiO E6.

i like the warm sound of sennheisers so im kinda stuck with that brand for now 
dt880smile.png
. can i seek any comments from you guys about my current set-up? is my amplifier a good one to partner with my HD439's? what can you say about their durability and build (since it is composed of all plastic)? or anything abpout HD439's that i need to know?

thanks in advance, i would really like to know how to take care of em. my cans are only about 4 days old. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #22,102 of 29,490
Quote:
You are prolly gunna also find the 880 harsh if that is the case. The 701 is not as bright as the beyer.

What I know is that the beyer is considered more "flat" than "warm", is that what you mean by harsh?

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #22,103 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all, I had a quick question about the comparison of JVC HAR-X700's and X900's.

From reading a lengthy topic, I gather X700's are considered best overall, but the X900's have a wider soundstage. I'll be mainly listening to electronica sub-genres, gaming and watching movies with the headphones. I'm really on the fence as to which pair I should choose as they're within $5 of each other, and I feel the comfort of the phones is extremely important (I'll be wearing them for extended periods of time). Note that I won't be using any kind of amp (does this make one set better than the other?)

Does the comfort of the X900's really overpower the X700's? Or are the X700's performance worth the potential sacrifice of comfort?

Many thanks.

What are the prices of the RX700 & RX900?

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #22,104 of 29,490
Quote:
Best closed headphone with a closed sound?

Basically, all my headphones have really big soundstage, including the HD650 which has opened up a surprising amount as I've used it more and more. Now I'd like to try something a little different. Looking for closed back design with a unique sound sig that isn't necessarily wide sounding but more contained and intimate. Sound leakage doesn't matter. Any suggestions for under $500?

In a follow-up, you mentioned Ultrasone and Fostex.  Let me preface that I have never used the HD650, and that my headphones are in a lower cost category.  That said, I have a Fostex TP50R (unmodded) and an Ortofon O-one, which is an Ultrasone DJ1Pro (and therefore, also PRO 550) with a different set of drivers.  I would say that the TP50R is contained and intimate.  I would say that the O-one is not contained and intimate.  The O-one is a great headphone for classical music; it reproduces the soundscape of a modern concert hall as well as (and usually better than) any other headphone I own.  The TP50R has much less of a realistic soundscape.  It has, however, a very good reproduction of voices and individual instruments in the midrange. My old, and sadly retired, Stax SR-44 had a similar intimate balance, but was even better (from memory).

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #22,106 of 29,490
Quote:
NZD $59 and $67, respectively. That's about $50 and $56 in USD. I believe the supplier here gets the phones from Amazon US.

Its a difference of $39.74 and $59.23 for the 700 and 900 respectively here on amazon :| im tryin to decide what headphone to get.. stuck between those two, samson SR850 ($53), superlux hd681 ($29) =[

tryin to find one thats fairly balanced in lows, meds, and highs... kind of an all rounder headphone :3 

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #22,107 of 29,490
I'm currently in a market for <200 us$ closed headphone and I'm wondering what recommendations you guys have. Currently, I am using the ATH-CKM500 IEMs as my daily driver because after using these, my Shure SRH-440 sound quite bad. I am planning on selling the Shure headphones on Craigslist and using part of that money towards new cans. If possible, I would want something with a rather wide soundstage while being good at isolating. I also want headphones that look rather stylish because ill be wearing them everywhere and headphones like the dt770 just won't cut it for me in terms of style. In the sub 200$ range, headphones like the ATH-M50 always come to mind, especially now that they cost 120$, but I'm wondering if they will really be much of an upgrade from my beloved ckm500. I'm also looking for very durable long lasting headphones and the nondetachable cord pm the ATH-m50 worries me a little. The SRH-840 are not an option for me because I found the 440 to be lacking in bass. I'll be using these headphones for gaming and listening to music (mostly electronic, but also other genres) and my head is rather large (8/10 notches on the SRH-440 headband)

TLDR; sub 200$ closed headphones that sound better than the ckm500 or SRH-440 with decent soundstage and non ugly design (I'm looking at you, excellent but ugly dt770 pro)

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #22,108 of 29,490
So you're looking for...

1. Bass emphasis
  2. Wide soundstage
  3. Durability
  4. Stylish
  5. Closed-back
  6. Isolation

All under $200... impossible IMO.

Problem here is that you're looking for bass impact- the SRH440 has good bass extension, it just lacks punch. But you see, bassy closed-back headphones tend to lose soundstage, and certainly not good for games. Once you get in the $300 range you have more options, but under $200 I don't know a single can that has both good bass impact and wide soundstage.

As for durability, it doesn't get much better than the ATH-M50/Beyer DT770, they're built like tanks. But again, under $200, durability and style don't usually go together...

I say drop a few things from that list- maybe consider open headphones, or increase the budget to $250-300, or drop the bass (then the V-Moda M80 would be a nice fit).

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #22,109 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm currently in a market for <200 us$ closed headphone and I'm wondering what recommendations you guys have. Currently, I am using the ATH-CKM500 IEMs as my daily driver because after using these, my Shure SRH-440 sound quite bad. I am planning on selling the Shure headphones on Craigslist and using part of that money towards new cans. If possible, I would want something with a rather wide soundstage while being good at isolating. I also want headphones that look rather stylish because ill be wearing them everywhere and headphones like the dt770 just won't cut it for me in terms of style. In the sub 200$ range, headphones like the ATH-M50 always come to mind, especially now that they cost 120$, but I'm wondering if they will really be much of an upgrade from my beloved ckm500. I'm also looking for very durable long lasting headphones and the nondetachable cord pm the ATH-m50 worries me a little. The SRH-840 are not an option for me because I found the 440 to be lacking in bass. I'll be using these headphones for gaming and listening to music (mostly electronic, but also other genres) and my head is rather large (8/10 notches on the SRH-440 headband)
TLDR; sub 200$ closed headphones that sound better than the ckm500 or SRH-440 with decent soundstage and non ugly design (I'm looking at you, excellent but ugly dt770 pro)

Look into the Ultrasone Pro 550.

EDIT: Alternatively, the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro have different visuals, but they're the same set as the Pro 550.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back