++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Oct 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #20,102 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi!
I'm looking for a pair of Over-Ear headphones in between 70-90(100)USD (I live in Norway but converted the price for the sake of this post.).
I'm a total newbie when it comes to this headphone thing so I'm asking for some advice.

I usually listen to EDM, but there isn't a single genre I wouldn't want to listen to (maybe Opera lol
normal_smile .gif
).
I would like some good bass in them. What I will be using them for is mostly at school and other places that are not at home, so they need to have some portability.
I will most likely play them off my mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy Note) and maybe my old Ipod Nano. I would prefer a pair that doesn't need an amp as well.

What I have already looked at is the AKG K99 and AKG K14 (MK II), opinions?

Hopefully this is understandable enough for you guys so you can help me out a little bit here, and maybe reccomend/direct me to a pair.
Oh! Almost forgot, since I will be using them at public places I do not want them to look awful haha. :)

- Eewee

The K 99 is a poor can and the only K14 I know of is an ear bud. 

The CAL! is a good balanced can with some bass, as is the Shure SRH 440.  The KRK KNS-6400 is also very good, but may have less bass than you want.

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #20,103 of 29,490
Quote:

The CAL! is a good balanced can with some bass, as is the Shure SRH 440.  The KRK KNS-6400 is also very good, but may have less bass than you want.

There is also the Koss DJ Pro 100, which I hear is Budget king, you may be able to find it under $100 

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #20,105 of 29,490
Quote:
No--their mid-bass hump gives them more than a neutral amount of bass.

Still that's normally not enough for bassheads.

... nothing is ever enough for bass heads since we basically have a drug addiction to bass, because the Low Frequancies at the right levels cause bodily harm which causes our brains to release endourphins... over time your body compinsates for that dmg and you need MORE BASS to get that high :D 

An that is why I want the XB 1000 that big 70mm driver can do some DAMGE [seriously[ <3

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #20,106 of 29,490
looking for bluetooth wireless headphones
I wanted to give one of these bad boys a try but i dont know which one to go for yet.
As of right now I'm Using my 1964 T CIEM for portable use, and at home my PRO 900 HD 650 and AKG 701..
I would love to use the bluetooth wireless headphone as my secondary headphone. but i dont know where to start and look for.
Music type ranges from electronic, psychedelic, dream-pop, trap, indie rockm post rock, indie, folk, little of rap and pop etc.. The only thing i dont listen to is country and jazz.
Price range would be from 150-350$ at the most. 400$ if necessary
thanks alot everyone.

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #20,107 of 29,490
Quote:
looking for bluetooth wireless headphones
I wanted to give one of these bad boys a try but i dont know which one to go for yet.
As of right now I'm Using my 1964 T CIEM for portable use, and at home my PRO 900 HD 650 and AKG 701..
I would love to use the bluetooth wireless headphone as my secondary headphone. but i dont know where to start and look for.
Music type ranges from electronic, psychedelic, dream-pop, trap, indie rockm post rock, indie, folk, little of rap and pop etc.. The only thing i dont listen to is country and jazz.
Price range would be from 150-350$ at the most. 400$ if necessary
thanks alot everyone.

Sennihiser has a wireless pair of cans 

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/wireless-audiophile-headphones-rs220-502029 {$500+) 

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/wireless-headphone-stereo-surround-sound-headphones-502874 ($200+)

Not sure these can be used entirely portably though, although I think they have a lower end Wireless head set that has a smaller more portable transmitter 

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #20,109 of 29,490
Quote:

Oh, that was supposed to be AKG K514, my bad. Thanks for answering :)
Well then I'm stuck with the decision Creative Aurvana Live or Shure SRH 440!
I read up about both of them and can't really decide, I didn't like the fact that the 440's didn't have proper padding in the headband, also the coiled wire could be annoying when I use them other place than home? (Probably won't use them alot at home.)
If you were to buy one of them, which one would you pick?
One more point, how much would a portable amp affect those headphones?

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #20,111 of 29,490
Quote:
So I need a pair of closed monitors for use in recording voice over. I'm looking for a neutral pair of closed headphones in the $200 or less price range. They may be used for music down the road but their primary function is to monitor my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and to mix the recordings in post, so something fairly neutral is desired. I prefer soft velour pads but that may not be possible in my budget. Also, I like durability as these will be used when traveling, but again I know the budget constraints have their limits. Any thoughts? I was looking at something like the KNS8400.

i haven't heard the kns8400, but i do have a friend who records acoustic music and uses the srh-840 as monitors, pretty neutral imo.

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #20,112 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all. New user here looking for some recommendations/opinions. I'm looking for some new cans, and I've been doing some research. I'd prefer to spend under $100, but I'd be willing to go to $150 if there was something really great and stylish. Here are the few I've been looking at:

Ultrasone 580 (lowest price I've found is $120)
Audio Technica ATH-M50 ($110 for black but would prefer white)
Reloop RHP-10 (I really like the green/white ones, $90)
Audio Technica ATH-WS55 (really digging the red/black, $78)
Numark Red Wave ($66 shipped)

As far as the type of sound I like, I generally like bassier sounding headsets and speakers. I'll probably be listening primarily from a smartphone (HTC Vivid, to be specific). I'll be using them to listen to music when I'm out and about, so portability would be nice but I'm no stranger to using bulky headphones in public. Sound quality and price are the two most important things to me. Also, I wear glasses, so if any of these are super uncomfortable with glasses, probably a no-go. Any tips/other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bumping this. Any help would be appreciated.

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #20,113 of 29,490
Quote:

Appreciate the recommendation but I specifically need closed as they're going to be about inches from a high sensitivity microphone so I can't have something open or semi-open.

Dt 770 Closed are neutral I believe 

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #20,114 of 29,490
Hey guys I just wanted to follow up and say thanks for all the advice. I ended up getting the Sennheiser HD 449s and they are awesome! Bass is great without being too muddy and they are EXTREMELY comfortable. I was working on a character rig yesterday from 3pm-4am and my ears never hurt even once. I love these things!

Oct 13, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #20,115 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all. New user here looking for some recommendations. I'm looking for some new cans, and I've been doing some research. I'd prefer to spend under $100, but I'd be willing to go to $150 if there was something really great and stylish. Here are the few I've been looking at:

Ultrasone 580 (lowest price I've found is $120)
Audio Technica ATH-M50 ($110 for black but would prefer white)
Reloop RHP-10 (I really like the green/white ones, $90)
Audio Technica ATH-WS55 (really digging the red/black, $78)
Numark Red Wave ($66 shipped)

As far as the type of sound I like, I generally like bassier sounding headsets and speakers. I'll probably be listening primarily from a smartphone (HTC Vivid, to be specific). I'll be using them to listen to music when I'm out and about, so portability would be nice but I'm no stranger to using bulky headphones in public. Sound quality and price are the two most important things to me. Also, I wear glasses, so if any of these are super uncomfortable with glasses, probably a no-go. Any tips/other recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

To me, the 580s have more bass impact than the M50s. Bass seems hotter overall. 580s are more engaging, partially due to the S Logic Plus surround effect. 

Normally, these phones can sound good with a smartphone, but they will provide even better SQ when used with an amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back