++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 4, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #1,921 of 29,490

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. What i've read of the AD900 and AD2000 is that the bass quality is good but the bass quantity could be better. I am a bit of a basshead but I still want the bass to be clear, accurate and fast but I don't want it to be a fart cannon
basshead.gif
. Thats why the first thing I came across in my search was the DT series of Beyerdynamic (and the L3000 but that was abit above my budget
ph34r.gif
).

DnB, at least the DnB I listen to (High Contrast, Klute, Donny, Current Value, Aphrodite, to name a few), has the perfect amount of bass imo for DnB, especially since DnB doesn't use incredibly low frequency bass like dubstep. The Ad900 also definitely have the bass impact needed for DnB (especially with my E7 +1 bass). The Dt770 Pro 80ohm for instance completely sucked for DnB. The bass was far too flabby and slow. If you do want to look into Beyers, check this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Edit: Listening to "If We Ever" by High Contrast on my Ad900 to test since it has a wonderful mix of rather deep lows with an excellent mid/high range. The bass drum is a little weak, but I think it just wasn't mixed lower to emphasize the huge bass drops in this song. The huge bass drops are not rattling my head, but it's not overpowering the highs that are going on at the same time. I do wish the lower end frequencies didn't roll off so early for tracks like this as I don't feel enveloped by the track as I should be. Trying bass boost two just to see how that goes. Okay yeah, with bass boost on two the bass is definitely more present while not being overpowering. Meanwhile the fast snare/hi-hat are crystal clear.

I guess I can't exactly recommend these for all types of DnB, though they don't play bad with it. The Dt770 Pro 80ohm though definitely won't suit the faced paced DnB style.

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #1,922 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Well, since i'm posting here, I clearly need some help/advice.

I'll start off with a brief history of my headphone usage.  I've owned Sennheiser 595, Etymotic ER-4P, and Sensaphonic soft 2x, no amps.  I usually run them off my computer which had an M-Audio card which ended up dying on me, and now a Soundblaster X-fi Fata1ty.  For portable use, I use to use iRivers, but now, I don't really have anything for my on the go set up so that isn't much of a concern.

My impressions of my previous headphones
Sennheiser HD595 - Decent, nothing special.  Physically too warm to use in summer due to the pads used.  Just randomly stopped using them...
Etymotic ER-4p - Nice clean sound, lacking in bass.  Just cut off one of the flanges on the silicon tips and that helped it a but.  Ended up selling to get the Sensaphonics.
Sensaphonic Soft 2x - No complains on the sound.  Kind of miss the bass impact you'd get from full size headphones.  They died on me...

So, moving on.  I've been reading around a bit for the next addition to my headphone, but it's pretty hard...  Right now i'm considering either the Sennheiser HD800 or the Audez'e LCD-2 right now.  I've read nothing but good things about them, and hey, they kind of follow along with my upward spending trend.

Anyways, one of the main factors for me is the amp.  I have little experience with them so choosing one is going to be nearly purely based on someone telling me whats good.  So in that case, which headphones are friendlier to amps? That is, which can sound good without and amp, amazing with a decent amp, and mind meltingly fantastic with a good amp.  I am not one to pick over that last few percent in audible performance gain as I probably don't care enough to listen for it, so I probably won't swap out cables, i won't play around with tubes/opamps, I will get a good source down the line though.

With all that being said... what would you recommend for someone who listens to just about any genre of music, watches movies and plays games using headphones?  Sound-wise, the mid-range is very important. then the lows, then the highs, that's not to say I like a super warm bass heavy set up, but I would lean more that way.

My budget tops off at the Sennheiser HD800.  And if anyone can pair their recommendation with an amp around $1000 that would be great too, if there are cheaper amps that are good matches that would be even better  Thank you.

If you're going to be spending that kind of money, do yourself a favour and read through the big threads on the LCD2 and HD800.

Quote:
Oh ok thanks.

I'll be honest I don't know what cable end it is. All it says is: - Straight detachable cable (3m)

It has a 6.3/3.5mm gold plated adaptor as well that comes with it for iPods etc(?) if that's what you mean? Sorry I know very little about this!

I meant what kind of connector does it have on the headphone side? Regular 3.5 or 2.5mm? maybe a mini xlr? twist lock?

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #1,927 of 29,490

Quote:
Is there a way to convert them/make them a higher quality or buy better songs, or are they the best quality?

If you try to upscale an MP3, say covert a 128kb/s to a 320kb/s, the quality will get worse. When you encode an MP3, artifacts of the music are compressed and lost, and they cannot be recovered.

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #1,928 of 29,490
well i had started a thread, but I guess I should probably ask here..  i currently have sennheiser HD 280 and wanting to upgrade.. looking to spend between 85 and 150 bucks..  the Audio technica AD700 open back caught my attention at as well as their closed back A700s and also considering the AKG K271 mkII and wanted to see what peoples thoughts on them are.. better than my sennheisers? worse?  the reason I want to upgrade is that while they sound good the HD 280s don't sound as natural as i'd like.  others i should consider?  I listen to just about everything from jazz/blues to classical to rock and rap.  though rap is on the low end.  also been into bluegrass/folk country lately as well.,

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #1,929 of 29,490
My budget is around 300$.. A lot of my friends have Monster Beats Studio by Dr. Dre , I've used them on several occasions and I have to say the sound is o.k, but I know I can get alot more for 300$. Also, NO amp, please..

My knowledge on headphones is VERY limited, so I'd appreciate all the advise you guys can give..

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #1,931 of 29,490
I buy my CDs and rip them in lossless.

Those who are asking for recommendations should include music interests and how you will use your headphones (portable, at home, etc).

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #1,932 of 29,490
I didnt see this thread until now so here goes my question:

I need advice to buy my first Studio/audiophile Headphones for Music and Movies
I will also be doing some gaming with them

Will listen mostly to Pop music and some Dance/trance on Mp3 320kbps 100db
(i might go over to Flac in the future but for now i need stay with mp3 since since i use mp3gain to higher volume for mp4players i never listen to music under 99db and so far found very few programs that increase db in flac)
anyway i never go under 256-320 kbps quality and sometimes m4a
This headphones will NOT be used for the mp4 player but all music i have on Pc i adapt to it
have separate headphones for mp4 player so this studio headphones is for inndoor use

Beside music i watch Action/Sci-fi/scary movies and play Shooter games like Crysis,mass effect,dead space and road simulators.
I also plan do a few use of them on my Homecinema Tv for movies and Ps3 but mainly headphones will be for Pc use.

I plan on getting either X-fi extreme gaming or Titanium HD soundcard (has to be X-fi compatible with most games)

Ok so the most important for me is that headphones has good bass for Pop music
can give good explosions on Movies and still be aceptable for gaming.
(i dont care about if you can hear footsteps or not in the games just good sound)

Keep in mind This would be my First ever Studio headphones
and so far the best normal headphones i owned has been Koss KSC35/75 or Sennheiser Px100 which i use now

Have narrowed by choices down to:

Beyerdynamic Dt990 Pro 250ohms (Good bass, but hard to drive would need to buy an amp later)
Beyerdynamic Dt770 pro 80ohms (Easyer to drive but might be a bit over bassed)
Audio Technica AD 700  (perfect for games, good for music but lack bass)
Sennheiser HD 595 (good for all around music,movies,games.... but not good for some kind of music?)

Btw, I am leaning most toward Beyerdynamic since i love how they look
anyway i think any of this choices would be good it just depend how good they are for me.
Keep in mind my taste for Pop music and Dance/Trance music.

As for Price Max price is HD595
but preferable around the price range of DT770/990 pro.
(Dt770/990 premium or MMX300 is too expensive right now)

I have no problem getting an Amp later in fact i find Tube ambs quite fun
I absolutly love how that blue Fornier Dac/amp look i saw on ebay i realy want to buy it later on.
but need to save some money for amp in future not now.

For now i see most important to have a good Soundcard like X-fi xtreme gaming or Titanium HD
For me is most important that soundcard work perfect for games than going the Asus xonar way of better sound.
also pricewise x-fi is better for me .

So What do you recomend for headphones
i need to buy them at online store.

Should i go Beyer as my first headphone?
This video inspired me a lot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXDKdrKHqwo

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #1,933 of 29,490

Quote:
how do i get high quality 320 kbps mp3's? like where does everyone buy them from?

Rip your cds. 
biggrin.gif
  For archiving purposes, rip them into a lossless format & you can convert them to mp3's as you need.  I got together with 2 other friends with enormous cd collections (and good taste) and we created a 500GB library of amazing music.

Mar 5, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #1,934 of 29,490
Was redirected here . 

Hi  .

I'm new to this forum and headphones in general, I've had my first pair of headphones (Sony MDR-NC7) when I was 15 and I still use it to date. Being the person that only uses his headphones in the bus and at home for gaming I never actually spent time to notice the sound quality of it. Recently I did and I keep noticing the horrible quality which makes me want to throw this pair of headphones out the window. So now I'm looking for a new pair of headphones.

I've narrowed down my search to these two pairs of headphones

-Ath M50

-Hfi 580

Most of the threads I saw said that the HFI 580 was clearer and the instruments were more distinct than the M50. The M50 is still a pretty good pair however it was "muddier" than the HFI 580 and the difference was noticeable. However, the HFI 580 is 40$ more expensive than the M50, (170$ vs 130$) and it's less common as well. Considering i'm a 17 year old teenager with a restricted budget, should I get the M50s or the HFI580. Also, is it necessairy for me to get an amp? (Talking about Portable Amp)

If I do need get a portable amp, which one should I get? If it's 50$ or more, it'll take a delay of 2 months for me to get it so will I be able to live without one.

Types of songs I listen to : Hip Hop, Pop, Classical, Techno 

Bass matters to me, but mid and high as well, I want a balance of them. I would want a good bass but not at the expense of covering the other sounds.

Note. I'm Canadian so that's why the prices are so expensive, the shipping fees are a steal. 

Thanks in advance for helping this newbie :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back