++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 12, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #15,422 of 29,490
Quote:

Such a sound sage almost always points to open cans--and not cheap ones (costing at least as much as your 8400).   "Extra" bass of good quality probably adds to that tab--and limits your options, as closed cans generally as better for bass. 

What's your budget?  I'm assuming you're already amping, as that is what is  required to properly push the 8400.

The 8400's are known for at least decent bass.  If you're using them properly amped, I have to assume that you wanted enhanced bass beyond neutral.  Is that correct?

Huh, I learn new things every day! Well I only use the headphones around myself, so it probalby wouldn't be a big issue unless they leak as much as playing full speakers. Didn't know that thing about the bass

The budger would be like the same pricepoint. $150-200. Remember that I'm not buying anything though, just wondering what models would fit some of this description.

Nope, no amp. I was just looking into that too. Remember, how I said I'm not buyig anything above? I'm a tightwad and I have a super strict budget. I heard 8400s were ok still unamped though, so that's what I've been doing atm. I was actually just thinking about getting an amp, but need to look for places to start. I just need to find something that is better than onboard audio since realized the drawback of those. The rear port is very quiet (I need to put volume at almost max to plain listen to), while the headphone jack is WAY louder yet sounds somewhat distorted. I did some further research on the subject too to find differences. Basically whenever I use the headphone jack music becomes fatiguing much quicker. Though it's not like I have high quality music to pass thorugh it to properly test music - everything is mastered at volume 11 nowadays.

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #15,423 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello,

I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 428's. When they arrived sound was only coming out of the right ear. I don't think its the jack or the cable because wiggling them does nothing, and its completely out on the left side. I don't want to send them back, because that would take a long time, and I think the problem probably happened in the mail anyways. I called the Sennheiser people and they said if I took it to Best Buy or somewhere else that could void the warranty. Is there something I can easily do to fix the headphones? or does the fact that the warranty could be voided even matter?

Best,
Marty

I would send them back.

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #15,424 of 29,490
Quote:
Huh, I learn new things every day! Well I only use the headphones around myself, so it probalby wouldn't be a big issue unless they leak as much as playing full speakers. Didn't know that thing about the bass

The budger would be like the same pricepoint. $150-200. Remember that I'm not buying anything though, just wondering what models would fit some of this description.

Nope, no amp. I was just looking into that too. Remember, how I said I'm not buyig anything above? I'm a tightwad and I have a super strict budget. I heard 8400s were ok still unamped though, so that's what I've been doing atm. I was actually just thinking about getting an amp, but need to look for places to start. I just need to find something that is better than onboard audio since realized the drawback of those. The rear port is very quiet (I need to put volume at almost max to plain listen to), while the headphone jack is WAY louder yet sounds somewhat distorted. I did some further research on the subject too to find differences. Basically whenever I use the headphone jack music becomes fatiguing much quicker. Though it's not like I have high quality music to pass thorugh it to properly test music - everything is mastered at volume 11 nowadays.

If they are burned in, try them amped.  A Yamaha Advenatge receiver, vintage receiver or a decent headphone amp should do the trick.

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #15,425 of 29,490
I disagree about the bassheads thing, they are FAR more bassy when properly powered.  It is due to an impedance spike in the lower frequencies.  Check out headphone.com's graphs.  The idea that they work well without amplification is just absurd.
Quote:

I very much like them too--but it depends on the type of live (and other music).  They don't work well for bassheads.

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #15,426 of 29,490
can anyone recommend an amp/cable upgrade to my current setup:

HD600 + Little Dot MKIII

I was thinking of selling the Little Dot and perhaps picking up a different amp that is a better match to the HD600. I see tons of people on this forum using Schiit gear. I'm open to any brand, but I'm partial to tubes. I'd like to keep the price below 1000 USD, and the lower the better as long as it's still a significant upgrade in quality from what I have now. I mention Schiit just because they seem to be very reasonably priced, but I've also been looking at some Woo Audio amps. I'd like to hear about anything that you guys think pairs particularly well with the HD600. Also, is recabling them worth it in anyone's opinion? 

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #15,427 of 29,490
Just wanted to throw it out there, but you can't tube roll on the Valhalla, so once you buy it, you can't upgrade it.
Quote:
can anyone recommend an amp/cable upgrade to my current setup:

HD600 + Little Dot MKIII

I was thinking of selling the Little Dot and perhaps picking up a different amp that is a better match to the HD600. I see tons of people on this forum using Schiit gear. I'm open to any brand, but I'm partial to tubes. I'd like to keep the price below 1000 USD, and the lower the better as long as it's still a significant upgrade in quality from what I have now. I mention Schiit just because they seem to be very reasonably priced, but I've also been looking at some Woo Audio amps. I'd like to hear about anything that you guys think pairs particularly well with the HD600. Also, is recabling them worth it in anyone's opinion? 

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #15,428 of 29,490
Quote:
I disagree about the bassheads thing, they are FAR more bassy when properly powered.  It is due to an impedance spike in the lower frequencies.  Check out headphone.com's graphs.  The idea that they work well without amplification is just absurd.

I have the 598 and always play them amped.  They have bass, but they are far from basshead  cans.  Other cans I have, none of which are true "XB" basshead (or even basshead lite) cans, have far to at least some more bass.  These included the HD 600, Beyer DT 880 Pro & 770 Pro, Ultrasone HiFi 780, 2400 HiFi and 700 Pro, Grado 325is & RS2i, AT M50s, Shure SRH 840, and Denon D2000 through 7000--just to name a few off (on and) the top of my head.

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #15,429 of 29,490

OK we'll try something a bit different.  Which handful (or fewer) cans that are rated "1" in the following buying guides appeal to you and why:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

and

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Looking at those I'd say that the Ultrasone - PRO 750 Headphones appeal to me most.

I think it will have to be either these or beats (as they're the only ones I'm able to test before buying 
frown.gif
 )

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #15,430 of 29,490
Hi head-fiers! I need some recommendations as well. Im very new to the headphone scene and have never previously own any cans before. Upon doing some research for a low budget set, I went with the Jvc Rx700 but was some what disappointed as I was expecting some good bass out of them.

I will burn them for another few days and see how they turn out before returning them.

So my question here is, which are some cans that can give some good bass within about $100?

Thanks for all the help, any recommendation would be appreciated.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #15,431 of 29,490
Which out of the HTF600, S850, HD668B and the JVC HARX700 would be the best?

I'll be buying from amazon.co.uk, they're all around the £30 price range and to be honest dont want to spend much more than that as they'll be my first set of cans.

Will be used mostly at home for pretty much most things TV, Movies, Music would be mix of everything but would be mostly be Electronica and Hip Hop and maybe the very odd bit of gaming.

Which would suit my needs the best?? Or are there any others in that price range?

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #15,433 of 29,490
Quote:

Looking at those I'd say that the Ultrasone - PRO 750 Headphones appeal to me most.

I think it will have to be either these or beats (as they're the only ones I'm able to test before buying 
frown.gif
 )

The 750 requires an amp.  It will play loud enough without one, but almost all of its bass will go missing.  If you like the 750 and will not amp, get the Ultrasone HiFi 780, which has a similar sound signature and is much better and more balanced than any offering from "The Dark Side of the Force".

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #15,434 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi head-fiers! I need some recommendations as well. Im very new to the headphone scene and have never previously own any cans before. Upon doing some research for a low budget set, I went with the Jvc Rx700 but was some what disappointed as I was expecting some good bass out of them.
I will burn them for another few days and see how they turn out before returning them.
So my question here is, which are some cans that can give some good bass within about $100?
Thanks for all the help, any recommendation would be appreciated.

Consult the buying guides linked in the very first post of this thread.  Look for cans within your budget with a red "B".  If you are going to use them unamped from a portable device and/or you computer, also look for a "1".

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #15,435 of 29,490
I just got an HTC One X and it has "Beats Audio" and I know that beats are horribly over-priced 

I listen to mp3's , I know serious music guys listen to a higher quality file ? what is it called ? how do I convert ?

Also I listen to mainly Trance, Techo, and Hip-hop. The only time Listen to music is at the gym with my phone.

I was looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50 , someone also recommended the Sony MDR-XB500. 

I'm looking to spend 50-150 dollar range 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back