first timer
Oct 15, 2012 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

magicmarker

New Head-Fier
Alright im sure there has been a ton of posts on this... but nothing i have found really helps. im looking to buy my first pair of descent headphones somewhwere between 200-300 posibly even $350 if i feel its worth it. i have a fiio e7 amp already. i mostily listen to alternative rock, and rock (by rock i mean john mayor and other slower piano music), but i also have a descent amount of acoustic music and i would like a headphone that can support all of these types. any suggestions are greatly apreciated

thanks, from a beginner

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 8
also, im mostly using these for home use. i plan on purchasin a travel pair later but im not to worried about sound isolation-just music quality... and i would be listening from an ipod with a descent amount of indie rock so the music quality wont always be great so if something could be a little forgiving (as in not the 325is as ive heard picks up everything

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 8
Heya,

Perhaps:

Open air for sound stage:

Beyer DT880
Sony MA900
AKG Q701
Hifiman HE-400 (or HE-300 revision 2 if price prohibits)
Sennheiser HD598 or HD600
Grado SR80i (Grado in general only if you can stand on-ear comfort level)

Closed back for isolation:

Shure SRH840
Beyer DT770
Denon D2000 (used/sale) or newer D600 (used deal around $300ish)
AudioTechnica A900X
Brainwavz HM5 (Mp4nation.net)
AKG K271 MKII or K272 HD or K550

Very best,

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #6 of 8
so im keeping the grados in the back of my mind but im deciding between the q-701, the dt-880, and he-300 or 400 (is the price difference worth it?) out of these which will have the best sound for both acoustic and rock?

Oct 20, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
and he-300 or 400 (is the price difference worth it?)

Two very different animals design wise, the 300 being a dynamic and the 400 is an orthodynamic planar magnetic.

You should try to find a shop or headphone meet in your area where you'll be able to listen to different headphones. Even if they are not exactly the ones you're considering but to compare different design types (planar vs dynamics) to better determine the sound you're looking for.

Good luck!

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Alright im sure there has been a ton of posts on this... but nothing i have found really helps. im looking to buy my first pair of descent headphones somewhwere between 200-300 posibly even $350 if i feel its worth it. i have a fiio e7 amp already. i mostily listen to alternative rock, and rock (by rock i mean john mayor and other slower piano music), but i also have a descent amount of acoustic music and i would like a headphone that can support all of these types. any suggestions are greatly apreciated

thanks, from a beginner

Don't buy a pair of open headphones unless you plan on listening to them by yourself in a quite room. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back