Final Audio Design Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 24, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #6,916 of 11,644
Just received the FI-BA-SS today and have to agree that the cable really let the whole package down. Looking forward to listening to them tonight

Unless you got it for a great price, have you considered returning the BA-SS and getting the new BA-SST? Its cable looks really nice and purportedly sounds better.

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #6,917 of 11,644
Unless you got it for a great price, have you considered returning the BA-SS and getting the new BA-SST? Its cable looks really nice and purportedly sounds better.

I got it at the closing down sale of the Danish distributor for $430 brand new in box.

And yes the new cable looks much nicer, however using the old over and behind ear style works fine and no microphonics at all that way and much less strain on the cable.

Initial impressions of the sound is very good competing with my JH13. Much more listening needed.

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #6,918 of 11,644
I got it at the closing down sale of the Danish distributor for $430 brand new in box.

And yes the new cable looks much nicer, however using the old over and behind ear style works fine and no microphonics at all that way and much less strain on the cable.

Initial impressions of the sound is very good competing with my JH13. Much more listening needed.

I love great deals on quality products; $430 is a fantastic deal! I thought $700 for a new AKR02 was a good price, now I'm jealous. :D

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #6,919 of 11,644
Yes I've been eying it since I got the Pianoforte VIII some years ago and could not pass this deal up even though I absolutely didn't need another iem.

I'm amazed at the bass slam and reach from a singled balanced armature

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #6,920 of 11,644
Yes I've been eying it since I got the Pianoforte VIII some years ago and could not pass this deal up even though I absolutely didn't need another iem.

I'm amazed at the bass slam and reach from a singled balanced armature

Good to hear. My 02s won't be here till Monday, so I'm excited to hear what all the fuss is about with these.

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #6,921 of 11,644
I love great deals on quality products; $430 is a fantastic deal! I thought $700 for a new AKR02 was a good price, now I'm jealous.
biggrin.gif

Do they still have some left? Can you point me to the website?

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #6,922 of 11,644
Has anyone compared the FAD Heaven VIII to the Shure SE846?  How do they compare?  Thanks!

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #6,923 of 11,644
  Do they still have some left? Can you point me to the website?

If you mean the AKR02, I'm sorry, I bought the last one from Headamp. These are in short supply and iriver in the US no longer has any stock.

I've seen a few other dealers advertise the AKR02 for $799 ...

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #6,924 of 11,644
If you mean the AKR02, I'm sorry, I bought the last one from Headamp. These are in short supply and iriver in the US no longer has any stock.

Great deal you got there, congratulations

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #6,925 of 11,644

I have the FI-BA-SST and the cable is really great - shame its not detachable - they originally advertised incorrectly with the same paragraph from the Lab II text - mentioning MMCX detachable cable.  Afterwards once I spoke to them they changed the info to be accurate and fixed cable.

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #6,926 of 11,644
I have the FI-BA-SST and the cable is really great - shame its not detachable - they originally advertised incorrectly with the same paragraph from the Lab II text - mentioning MMCX detachable cable.  Afterwards once I spoke to them they changed the info to be accurate and fixed cable.

How do you like your SST, and did you have an SS before?

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #6,927 of 11,644
How do you like your SST, and did you have an SS before?

I owned SS and AKR02 before - It's in the same league if not better - micro detail is really good. 

Our guys will getting a review to together in the coming weeks for both the 3.5 version and the 2.5 version - will let you guys know. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #6,928 of 11,644

Okay...thanks...I always like it when a deal like that comes along.

It feels the same as finding money on the ground!

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #6,929 of 11,644
I'm having a bit of a dilemma...Hopefully you guys can help me out...
I've been thinking for a while now to go up the heaven series. Although i read this thread 2 times, still can't figure out between the H6,H7,H8 or the FI-BA-SS(T). My 2 favorite IEMs right now are the Heaven IV, and the Grado GR10. But each has something the other doesn't. I love the overall sound signature of the H4, but it's missing the openness, instrument separation and 3D presentation of the GR10. And in the GR10 i'm missing the low end power and impact from the H4. 
I saw some of you here have the GR10 and some of the Finals. Which do you think blends these attributes better? Basically is not a problem of the price difference between the H6,7,8. Or maybe i should save up some more and get the FI-BA-SST? 
Auditioning is not easy to do, as i'm located somewhere in China now. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #6,930 of 11,644
  I'm having a bit of a dilemma...Hopefully you guys can help me out...
I've been thinking for a while now to go up the heaven series. Although i read this thread 2 times, still can't figure out between the H6,H7,H8 or the FI-BA-SS(T). My 2 favorite IEMs right now are the Heaven IV, and the Grado GR10. But each has something the other doesn't. I love the overall sound signature of the H4, but it's missing the openness, instrument separation and 3D presentation of the GR10. And in the GR10 i'm missing the low end power and impact from the H4. 
I saw some of you here have the GR10 and some of the Finals. Which do you think blends these attributes better? Basically is not a problem of the price difference between the H6,7,8. Or maybe i should save up some more and get the FI-BA-SST? 
Auditioning is not easy to do, as i'm located somewhere in China now. 

I went from GR10 to GR10e to FI-BA-SS.
If you've got a GR10 without a hole in the driver case(behind where the cable goes), then both the FI-BA-SS, and GR10e will be an improvement in bass.
Otherwise, the bass increase is diminishable, if you ask me.
I upgraded from GR10e to FI-BA-SS because i felt like the high end of the GR10e has reached all it could, and i wanted more. (I had recently bought the FiiO X7 at that time, and it felt like the X7 tried to give more, but the GR10e could not.)
To me, the FI-BA-SS was very much alike to what the GR10e was, but with a bit more 'stretch' towards the treble, and a tighter, faster, overall sound.

I would suggest seeing if you can go anywhere to listen to them though, because they're not cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back