Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 18, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #106 of 4,847
The Cayin room had the D8000 and their amps were a superb pairing. I hear they are trickling down the D8000 planar tech to lower priced models. The D8000 is awesome but beyond my budget at this time so it would be great to see a tier approach like they do with the Sonorous. A D6000 at around $1K?

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #107 of 4,847
The Cayin room had the D8000 and their amps were a superb pairing. I hear they are trickling down the D8000 planar tech to lower priced models. The D8000 is awesome but beyond my budget at this time so it would be great to see a tier approach like they do with the Sonorous. A D6000 at around $1K?

They plan to offer an entire planar line, prices from 300€ to 5000€ (yes, there'll be an even more badass model above the D8000 :ksc75smile:)
PS: http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/munich2017/9.html (scroll down)
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/final6/1.html

"...and the AFD technology will eventually spawn an entire range expected to start at €300/pr and max out at €5'000/pr quite like the existing Sonorous series."
"The planarmagnetic driver series will still see a future flagship and trickle-down entry-level models for the mass market. At the moment we simply have no exact roll-out."

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #109 of 4,847

Yes, I heard the D8000 there w/a Cayin balanced amp...not very long, bbut enough to realize that:
A. The D8000 sounds very very good on various genres
B. And they sound even better w/a real amp vs a DAP, though they sounded better on a DAP than I ever would have imagined.

I heard several amps in the Cayin suite that impressed me a lot. That beautiful little vertical tube design w/the wooden sides is probably the most seductive/pretty piece of gear I've seen in 20+ years. It also sounded amazing (think I heard the AFO on it).

Feb 19, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #111 of 4,847
I tried the D8000 at CanJam. It sounds incredible. Probably my favorite at the show. Very comfortable too. My only complaint is that speckled look on the black housing. It cheapens the look a little. A smoother and solid finish would have looked much better. Other than that, great headphone. That bass!

It's a magnesium alloy used on high end cameras, extremly durable, lightweight and in my opinion far from cheap (I love my Nikon camera). Apparently is has good acoustic properties too.
https://improvephotography.com/19117/benefit-magnesium-alloy-camera/

From the Final website:
"the machined aluminum magnesium alloy housing has been machined with great precision.
By applying the kind of leather coating finish used with high-quality cameras, we've also taken measures against minute vibrations."

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #112 of 4,847
It's a magnesium alloy used on high end cameras, extremly durable, lightweight and in my opinion far from cheap (I love my Nikon camera). Apparently is has good acoustic properties too.
https://improvephotography.com/19117/benefit-magnesium-alloy-camera/

From the Final website:
"the machined aluminum magnesium alloy housing has been machined with great precision.
By applying the kind of leather coating finish used with high-quality cameras, we've also taken measures against minute vibrations."

Yeah, finish of final D8000s looks similar to that of NIKON DSLRs. (like NIKON D7000?! :grin:)
PENTAX DSLR bit more fine pattern but no so far, SLIK tripods much bigger pattern.
CANON, SONY probably way smoother.
But could be unfamiliar finish to people who haven't used NIKON or PENTAX DSLRs.
Similar powder coating itself is used on Sonorous series as well, though they are done on plastics.

Feb 19, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #113 of 4,847
Yeah, finish of final D8000s looks similar to that of NIKON DSLRs. (like NIKON D7000?! :grin:)
PENTAX DSLR bit more fine pattern but no so far, SLIK tripods much bigger pattern.
But could be unfamiliar finish to people who haven't used NIKON or PENTAX DSLRs.
Similar powder coating itself is used on Sonorous series as well, though they are done on plastics.

I believe it is done in the same factory as Nikon :D

I have the D600

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #114 of 4,847

Just try getting that great bass out of a Nikon DSLR...

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #116 of 4,847
I never thought i'd spend this kind of money on a headphone, though I said that when I bought my HD800S as well. But in 4 weeks or so, I will own a pair of the Final D8000. That with my HD800S is a pretty fantastic duo imo.

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #117 of 4,847
But in 4 weeks or so, I will own a pair of the Final D8000. That with my HD800S is a pretty fantastic duo imo.
Why would you continue to listen to HD 800 S? What do you think HD 800 S is preferable for?

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #118 of 4,847
I never thought i'd spend this kind of money on a headphone, though I said that when I bought my HD800S as well. But in 4 weeks or so, I will own a pair of the Final D8000. That with my HD800S is a pretty fantastic duo imo.

Wow. Just...wow.

The Final D8000 impressed me greatly in 2 listening exposures at CanJam: big, handsome, impressive wide-range planar sound, as open as any open-back I've ever encountered (all good things IMHO). Still, I consigned it (along w/the equally impressive, though different-looking/sounding Meze Empyrean) as "way out of reach."

As Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Nice to see someone step up, and I can't wait to read any impressions you care to post about them.

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #119 of 4,847
Great question, and something I had to decide when making this purchase was do I love what I've heard in my listening of the D8000 Mor than I enjoy my HD 800S? because I better for the steep price i'm paying. I decided that if the HD 800S had mor bass I wouldn't buy the D8000 And I feel they are different in their sound, enough to justify keeping them both

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #120 of 4,847
Wow. Just...wow.

The Final D8000 impressed me greatly in 2 listening exposures at CanJam: big, handsome, impressive wide-range planar sound, as open as any open-back I've ever encountered (all good things IMHO). Still, I consigned it (along w/the equally impressive, though different-looking/sounding Meze Empyrean) as "way out of reach."

As Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Nice to see someone step up, and I can't wait to read any impressions you care to post about them.
Yeah, absolutely. I still can't believe I did it, partially on principal, but really looking forward to them. I'd be happy to post impressions for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back