1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by Bloos, Apr 27, 2017.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Next

Last
  1. Oscar-HiFi
  2. jokostyle
    @Oscar-HiFi The two first lines of aspects have the same title ( "Ideal frequency response" ) in the 4th and 23th slides.
    If i did understand right, they will release a flagship using this technology. It can be something.
    I feel that we live in another golden age of headphones.

Oscar-HiFi likes this.
  3. Oscar-HiFi
    Again I only work at their UK distributors :D so the documnet was made by Final themselves. About other models, from what I know the D8000 is the first release from the D series, and there will be more to come. The great thing about their Planar tech, is it would be easy to shrink down into an IEM as well.

4. XERO1
  5. Oscar-HiFi
    FastAndClean, bidn and ToroFiestaSol like this.
  6. miko64
    Got mine as x-mas present. Well will revert after opening 25.12

ostewart likes this.
  7. Licht
    I have found it in Japanese and the second line is “flatness of impedance”.

btw, I love the D8000 though I couldn’t afford it now.
    It is really nice.

8. miko64
    Quick feed-back re Final D8000. I own both Audeze LCD-4 and Final Audio D8000 and wanted to provide a quick resume. I think it is fair to say that I love Audeze and hence might be biased.
    Long story short: Bought Final Audio because it sounded really good and because the build quality was spotless. It shared most of the strengths of LCD4 but is better, because it (slightly) resolves better complex orchestra and sound the digitally pimped LCD-4 w/o EQ. So I am deeply impressed. The build quality is better, in particular the head-band of LCD4 out of carbon is annoying.
    I will provide a more formal analysis later, suggest to everyone to listen to it. Happy New Year Michael

ToroFiestaSol and bidn like this.
  9. bidn
    Thank you very much miko64.
    I will especially appreciate very much any comment you may provide re. the level of the trebble of D8000 and whether you find these headphones to be bright or not (depending on the kind of music).
    Wishing to you too a happy new year and much pleasure with your D8000!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    ToroFiestaSol likes this.
  10. ToroFiestaSol
    @miko64 In terms of tonal balance, how does it compare with the LCD-4?

PS: Happy new year!

bidn likes this.
  11. miko64
    It terms of tonal balance they are actually quite similar, when using LCD 4 with the electronic filters provided by Audeze, which emphasise the highs a little. So if you use LCD 4 as is, the Treble is slightly muted. The d8000 is in this sense more neutral. I have run some test tones, which I have produced (ie comparing always 440Hz vs say 4kHz). What you see is that that the treble (at c 5kHz) is more muted with LCD4 vs D8000. If the Audeze plug is is used, this difference marginalises materially and the two actually sound very similar.

I am listening mainly to opera and classical music in general, which means that the respective music is only occasionally electronically majorly altered. With this type of music, the D8000 is certainly not too harsh, just neutral. I have also listened to Focal Utopia, which in my view shows signs of hashness, which is absent with D8000.

In respect to lows and middles both are exceptional and the relative differences are in my opinion minor. The other major difference I sense is that D8000 resolves slightly higher, certainly w/o Audeze DSP; this effect I want to check further.

I hope this is helpful and would be interested in any views.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    ToroFiestaSol and bidn like this.
  12. miko64
    4B2741F4-0980-45CD-855B-E177C576A617.jpeg Plus teaser

ToroFiestaSol likes this.
  13. ToroFiestaSol
    Thanks mate! Nice writeup!
    So, slightly more resolving, similar tonal balance than LCD4 but a bit more neutral and not harsh...amazing
    In terms of soundstage and imaging, how does it compare with LCD-4?

Karlg likes this.
  14. bidn

Hi Oscar-HiFi, bronco1515, miko64,

you all were quite right,
    I was able to listen to D8000 in a store (not entirely silent, but very quite compared to the headphone event),
    and then the treble was not overemphasized, just like you said.
    I listened (mostly to metal tracks) during 3h1/2 to the D8000 along with the Utopia, Clear, Susvara, HE1000 V2, D8000, LCD-4, LCD-MX4, and the LCDi4.

At least for metal, they did much better in the high-power mode (+ 21 dBu) of my RME ADI-2 Pro (the mode which also gave better results with the LCD-4 and the Susvara)
    than in the low power mode (+ 7 dBu) which I normally use for other headphones. So they seem to play better with a relatively powerful amplification.

I found that, of all these headphones,
    the bass of the D8000 was by far the most impressive.
    Not only does it extend all the way down, but it feels like a great subwoofer, especially when the bass is explosive
    or goes on rumbling. And this while the bass is not elevated but the FR is flat, unlike with headphones having a V or U shaped FR.
    Surprisingly, it seems to me that the D8000 may also be fantastic for people seeking to enjoy bass like "bassheads" but with headphones having a neutral FR. Normally, as far as I know, you can't have both (bass for basshead and neutral FR).
    It would be quite interesting to test the D8000 with EDM (I didn't try that).

Re. an issues that I find interesting, the lack of satisfying (for me) drum attacks with planars headphones, compared to some great dynamic headphones, in my experience:
    I found that the D8000 had better drum attacks that (comparing to home) my LCD-X and XC, Ether C and Aeon, PM-2, PM-3,
    and apparently than the LCD-4 which was present, which is really great for planars having this price,
    but still not as good as the dynamic headphones such as Utopia, Clear, Elear, or very expensive planar like the Susvara.

This was too short a time and I will go back to the store over two weeks to do more testing of these headphones.
    I put more impressions here :

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/totl-headphones-comparison.856079/page-4#post-13956473

Have a nice weekend and enjoy your headphones and music :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    ostewart and ToroFiestaSol like this.
  15. miko64
    I should have returned earlier... I have listened to tracks with multiple choirs such as Wagners Meistersinger or the flying dutchman. These tracks to perform well need two things, very high resolution and a good sound staging. When choosing to buy D8000 I did this test and compared also to Susvara. For me this was the most impressive aspect of D8000, since I was, w exception of SR 007 the first time able to get these tracks as they should be reproduced. Over all D8000 reminds me very much to my former Jecklin Float. I have the impression that the D8000 is at least ex equal to LCD4

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Oscar-HiFi, ToroFiestaSol and nick n like this.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Next

Last