6F6104AA-7EF7-4065-A727-BDCB8465104C.jpeg
C133EA25-20BF-498F-BA0B-A71737EFCDAE.jpeg
B6F86232-8049-4C5E-B0C7-051C77930307.jpeg
53087645-6A27-41EA-8198-D5C8A6CB790F.jpeg
3E0BA8EA-B6E4-4466-BC5D-FF2AF4AEC46C.jpeg
0CF77F96-4FFF-44BE-9EA1-B71EE311FFC0.jpeg
9F1CBDB5-4E2B-4001-9CE6-6EC4331C6B71.jpeg
As promised!

I’ll just tell you, the included cables are gorgeous! I have no desire to purchase an aftermarket! They feel so exquisite in the hand. And they’re very supple with no tendency to kink or remember a shape. Love them!

I want to post a first impression right now, but I’m going to hold off until the weekend. But I will say this, after the first 20 minutes, I’m no longer regretting selling my HEK V2 to purchase these...

Mar 16, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #138 of 4,852
they look amazing, love the raw industrial look, no unnecessary flashines

They feel much more premium than they look in the hand. Personally, I think the Empyrean are more beautiful, but I don’t care. These sound amazing...and different. The first awesome thing I noticed that I love is the expansive soundstage. I thought after the HEK and 800S, I’d be a little disappointed. Boy was I wrong. The soundstage is impressive. The second thing I love is how easy they are to drive. Wayyyy easier than both the 800S and HEK. I can drive them to very loud volumes with my Dragonfly Red and iPhone.

The first criticism I can offer is the earpads. They’re soft and comfortable but I wish they were either slightly larger or ear-shaped instead of round.
The weight is not an issue for me at all. It must be distributed very evenly, because I don’t notice at all and I’ve been wearing them nonstop since I’ve been home from work.
The included headphone stand is built like a tank and has substantial weight to it. So far, everything included is simply top notch, which is very different than Hifiman.

Mar 16, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #140 of 4,852
Here’s another cool and weird thing about these. They’re more open from the earpads than the earcups. For example, if you put a hand outside of the HEK from even 8 inches away, it would alter the sound. You have to almost touch the cups with your hands to get the same effect with these. But they leak sound just as bad! It’s just that it seems more of it comes from the earpads than the cups! Strange.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #142 of 4,852
Here’s another cool and weird thing about these. They’re more open from the earpads than the earcups. For example, if you put a hand outside of the HEK from even 8 inches away, it would alter the sound. You have to almost touch the cups with your hands to get the same effect. But they leak sound just as bad! It’s just that it seems more of it comes from the earpads than the cups! Strange.

I think they explain that here: (don't worry, is a Final PDF, no 6moons words were used :jecklinsmile:)
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/final6/D8000.pdf
http://snext-final.com/en/products/detail/D8000

I have very little technical knowledge, and what I understood may not be 100% accurate, but for what I could grasp from their webpage and that PDF, seems that all the other planars have problems achieving a linear bass response by themselves, and require the use of air-tight sealed earpads with non porous materials. The effect will be a flat frequency response in the bass region, but the outcome would be similar to placing a bass shy speaker near to a wall (some speakers, like the Wilson Duette 2, are designed for this purpose, for example).
Final achieved the desired bass response with their AFDS, so there's no need for them to use highly air-tight earpads, that may be the reason why they're more open from the earpads than the earcups.

EDIT: btw, it's extremely refreshing to see an expensive headphone with looks, build quality and R&D to match the price, color me impressed!

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #143 of 4,852
It's looking like these are the first high-end over-the-ear headphones from Final to truly go toe-to-toe with the best on the market. :L3000:

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #144 of 4,852
As promised!

I’ll just tell you, the included cables are gorgeous! I have no desire to purchase an aftermarket! They feel so exquisite in the hand. And they’re very supple with no tendency to kink or remember a shape. Love them!

I want to post a first impression right now, but I’m going to hold off until the weekend. But I will say this, after the first 20 minutes, I’m no longer regretting selling my HEK V2 to purchase these...

Just beautiful! Love that "industrial" look of Final HPs...these are the best of them all, too.

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #145 of 4,852
Here’s another cool and weird thing about these. They’re more open from the earpads than the earcups. For example, if you put a hand outside of the HEK from even 8 inches away, it would alter the sound. You have to almost touch the cups with your hands to get the same effect with these. But they leak sound just as bad! It’s just that it seems more of it comes from the earpads than the cups! Strange.

That is extremely interesting...and perhaps a subtle clue regarding design intentions.

Mar 17, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #149 of 4,852
Here are my brief first impressions. Before we get started though, I prefer a mostly neutral to slightly warm signature without excessive Beyerdynamic treble. Let me get this out of the way first. In terms of quality of sound across the entire frequency spectrum: these are simply amazing. The treble sounds very neutral to me with maybe a small peak around 8k, but it is not sibilant or overdone. The mids are equally neutral to slightly recessed. The mid and sub bass quality is exceptional. In terms of quality, it’s the best I’ve ever heard in an open back.

But here’s my problem with these. It has nothing to do with quality of bass. It is the QUANTITY. I think that the designers were so proud of their amazing technological breakthrough with their Air Dampening System, which allows low bass to remain linear all the way down to 20hz without any roll off, that they couldn’t help but show it off. Subsequently, it is just too prominent for my preferences. In fact, I wonder if the mids really are recessed at all or if they just seem that way because of a slightly excessive quantity of bass. Again, it’s HIGH QUALITY BASS! Outstanding even. I just wish there were less of it.
Of course desired bass quantity depends on not only personal preference, but also on music preference as well. If I’m listening to R&B and pop, the bass quantity is perfectly fine. But with folk, acoustic, bluegrass, and country, not so much.
These first impressions were done with only solid state amps. I don’t own any tube amps, but I’m pretty sure they would only contribute to the problem.

I have three caveats to everything I’ve just said:

1) These don’t have a lot of hours on them yet, so my impressions may change later on.
2) Maybe I’m so used to the typical bass roll off of open back headphones, that I’ve come to prefer that signature and am therefore biased.
3) If you prefer a warm headphone, then these will be an eargasm for you.

And just to recap from an earlier post: build quality of these headphones and all accessories provided, is absolutely top notch.
The soundstage is almost as expansive as the 800S and HEK V2. I was very surprised by this. I am an admitted soundstage snob.
I have no issues with comfort for long term wear. My ears do slightly touch the earpads, but they’re soft and comfortable so it’s not a big deal. But if I had to nitpick, I’d prefer them to be slightly larger or just ear-shaped.
These headphones look and feel even more premium in the hand than in pictures.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #150 of 4,852
It's hardly an innovative comment on my part, but it's best to burn in any headphones--but especially planars, in my experience, for 100 -150 hrs, before making final assessments.

Your comments fascinate me. The headphone you describe, flaws and all, seems close to my dream sound. Interested to hear more as time passes.

Re tube amps, these have a 60 ohm impedance--possibly just high enough to benefit from an OTL tube design such as the Woo WA3 or La Figraro 339. The effects of such amp designs on the Final's bass may be positive, or not much...only way to know is to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back