Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 4, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #121 of 4,890
Great question, and something I had to decide when making this purchase was do I love what I've heard in my listening of the D8000 Mor than I enjoy my HD 800S? because I better for the steep price i'm paying. I decided that if the HD 800S had mor bass I wouldn't buy the D8000 And I feel they are different in their sound, enough to justify keeping them both

I heard a modded pair of HD800s several months ago...was very impressed, even though they are kind of the polar opposite of my usual headphone/voicing tastes. I heard the Final D8000 in 2 different booths/rooms at Canjam (the room was much quieter). Not a very long exposure, to be sure, but extremely impressive. So not prolonged experience w/either HP.

Still, I'll go out on a limb and say these headphones don't sound alike. For example, the D8000 has what I regard as spectacular bass--reaching very low, having what sounded like excellent pitch differentiation & impact. Plus it has that quiet-then-BIG planar quality that's hard to describe...smoothness that gets big in a hurry when the music calls for it. I couldn't evaluation soundstaging very well in either setup, but it sounded at least very good, also very open/transmissive of sound in & out (that's generally a good thing in open designs IMO).

The HD800s had an entirely different presentation: all about space, and to a lesser degree, tonality. Bass was better than I'd been led to expect (that could be the mod in action), but those aren't heardphones I'd turn to for state of the art bass. I would turn to them for state-of-the-art repro of acoustic, minimally miked music, particularly symphonic/classical/chamber/choral.

Very different sounds. I suspect you'll find they match well because they're dissimilar, but each capable of great refinement/sonic distinction.

Mar 4, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #122 of 4,890
To clarify a bit, I didn't just buy the d8000 for bass, which is what I think my previous post implies. Having spent a decent amount of time w the d8000, and who knows how long with the 800S, i'd say your observation of both pretty well describes why I didn't even question whether I was keeping both. For me it was, man these 800S are so amazing with some of my favorite music, will I find a headphone that has what i want that the 800S lack. In short, that's why I bought the D8000.

Mar 4, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #123 of 4,890
Why would you continue to listen to HD 800 S? What do you think HD 800 S is preferable for?
Was a bit rushed earlier, but looking back I don't feel I answered your question. I'd primarily listen to the HD800S not just for a different sound from the D8000, but also amazing for classical, Soundtracks etc.

Mar 6, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #124 of 4,890
Hey @Oscar-HiFi, some time ago you said that the 55x55mm pads "taper inside" to be "wider"...55mm wide is enough for almost any ear, but the average height of male ears is 65mm (10mm more)...maybe you wanted to say that they taper inside to be "taller"· (no "wider")? You know, to fit over medium size 65mm tall ears without pressure/contact with the earpads

Mar 6, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #125 of 4,890
Hey @Oscar-HiFi, some time ago you said that the 55x55mm pads "taper inside" to be "wider"...55mm wide is enough for almost any ear, but the average height of male ears is 65mm (10mm more)...maybe you wanted to say that they taper inside to be "taller"· (no "wider")? You know, to fit over medium size 65mm tall ears without pressure/contact with the earpads

Replying from my home account, yes that would be correct :)

Mar 6, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #127 of 4,890
I heard the D8000 in 2 locations in CanJam. They are physically quite large (guessing the earcup diameter is 110mm); the pads have a large, circular inside opening for ears, if I recall.

Not sure of the depth, though. It might not be terribly deep. Don't recall my ears hitting the drivers, though.

These are big headphones that aren't terribly heavy and are relatively comfortable. The comfort factor that I was uncertain about was the headband. Can't recall how well or not well it's padded, but I recall it feeling somewhat firm.

Then again, I was so impressed by the sound I was getting from this headphone that I didn't really focus much on comfort...

Mar 15, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #131 of 4,890
@Hifiearspeakers Unfortunately my impressions were skewed as I was getting over a cold and had blocked ears from altitude change. To further confuse me, they were using gear I hadn't heard before.

i did try them out of my phone and they were surprisingly good so sensitivity should not be an issue. I don't recall having an comfort issues either, which is a good thing in my book.

Hopefully I can hear these on my own system and provide proper feedback.

Mar 16, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #132 of 4,890
I don’t recall you ever posting any impressions? What happened?
Unfortunately, haven't received them yet. 2 weeks ago I was told 2-4 weeks before they'd ship.

Mar 16, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #133 of 4,890
Unfortunately, haven't received them yet. 2 weeks ago I was told 2-4 weeks before they'd ship.

What? That’s crazy! Where did you order them from? I ordered mine from Audio46 two days ago and they have already arrived at my local Fedex. I hope to be listening to them tonight after work.

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #134 of 4,890
Nice! Guess I could have went that route, but I ordered direct since I don't have a final dealer anywhere close to me. It's just as well though, wouldn't really have time to listen to them much right now anyway . Do you plan to give them any time for burn in?

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #135 of 4,890
Nice! Guess I could have went that route, but I ordered direct since I don't have a final dealer anywhere close to me. It's just as well though, wouldn't really have time to listen to them much right now anyway . Do you plan to give them any time for burn in?

No. My burn in plan has always been to just listen to them. I’m going to post pics tonight and then my first impressions this weekend. Then I’ll just give updates over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back