Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 20, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #3,121 of 4,965
Some more thoughts on the LE & regular Pro. (Sorry for the spam :) )
As I said before, the LE isn't a dry or bass shy HP by any means. If you enjoy the Pros bass, you'll like this one too.

I actually made some measurements with a DB meter. Althought it's an homologated DB meter, they can't be taken as proper measurements, but sadly I don't have a measurement rig.
I found that from 50 to 100hz, the LE had 1/2 db of bass above the normal pros. From 100 to 150hz they were even, and from 150/200, the LE was 1db below most of the time.
This could explain the feeling of a slightly dryer bass. You can call It a "more refined" bass if you want.
Both HPs slam like mofos anyways.

Still making comparisons but my intention right now is keeping the LE. It gives me the same sound signature than the regular one but with a hair more clarity and spaciousness, better comfort and I can always use the G pads to give It an extra bass boost.
That said, I think that a used regular pro is the best value. Id recommend the LE to people whose endgame are the Pros and prefer the black finish or want something exclusive.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #3,122 of 4,965
That said, I think that a used regular pro is the best value. Id recommend the LE to people whose endgame are the Pros and prefer the black finish or want something exclusive.
The regular Pro's are also available in black and look the same as D8000 OG. Harder to find, but possible. Mine are black.

Jan 22, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #3,125 of 4,965
It's me again (unfortunately).
After spending more time A/B ing I can totally understand that some people consider the LE to be darker than the regular Pro.

The thing is that I can perceive some tonal differences, specially in the treble, between the silver Pro and the LE. These tonal shifts could give the sensation of more sparkle/higher pitch on some instruments depending of the track on either the LE or the regular Pro.
For example, I have the feeling that there's a bit more of upper treble energy (7-8khz) on the regular Pro, and more bite in the upper mids/low treble on the LE.

Again, keep in mind that first of all, we all hear different. And second, A/B test are quite tricky for our minds. So please don't be harsh on me if there's some measurements in the future and I got it totally wrong.

Jan 22, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #3,126 of 4,965
Well, idk if something happened to my ears or the headphones has changed but just spent a few hours comparing and I take back most of what I said before. Now the LE sounds a bit darker and richer in tones, while the regular pro sounds brighter overall. LE still have the edge on detail and soundstage tho.

Apologise for the nonsense :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #3,127 of 4,965
Well, idk if something happened to my ears or the headphones has changed but just spent a few hours comparing and I take back most of what I said before. Now the LE sounds a bit darker and richer in tones, while the regular pro sounds brighter overall. LE still have the edge on detail and soundstage tho.

Apologise for the nonsense :frowning2:
No apology needed! You're one of maybe 2 people I know of who can actually compare these two headphones.

I'm just glad you're trying to articulate what are probably relatively small sonic differences...

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #3,128 of 4,965
No apology needed! You're one of maybe 2 people I know of who can actually compare these two headphones.

I'm just glad you're trying to articulate what are probably relatively small sonic differences...
Thanks man. I don't wanna mislead people cause I hate when that happens, so trying my best to make any sense.
As you said, differences are small, so It's been really hard to compare them, specially since the LE were brand new and my D8000 pro pads are pretty worn out.

Anyways, either my ears needed to adapt to the LE, or the burn in actually made some differences, cause now Im almost certain that for the most part, the regular D8K Pro is a tad brighter.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #3,129 of 4,965
I'd like to report that I've received the custom pads from ntraxmoddesign, and I am very unsatisfied to say the least. The guy presented himself as some sort of expert but the pads are absolutely terrible, they sound horrible and create an unbearable vacuum. When I contacted him and reported this and ask for a refund (they cost me 100$+100$ shipping, not cheap pads) he refused, claiming he is just making pads and he's just an enthusiast.

I recommend you stay away.

A full report on this: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dis-recommendation-on-ntrax-custom-pads.966628/

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #3,130 of 4,965
Im sorry that this happened to you.
So sad there's loads of sketchy fellas trying to get advantage from people on this hobby.
Happened to me quite a few times...

Pads are a crucial thing for a HP sound and the D8000 driver technology isn't an usual one, so I guess that pads must be tailored specially for it, and that's a task for real professionals.
I mean it's cool to sell homemade pads, but you gotta be sure that they actually sound good on the HPs, specially when you are charging more than the stock prices.

Jan 23, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #3,131 of 4,965
Im sorry that this happened to you.
So sad there's loads of sketchy fellas trying to get advantage from people on this hobby.
Happened to me quite a few times...

Pads are a crucial thing for a HP sound and the D8000 driver technology isn't an usual one, so I guess that pads must be tailored specially for it, and that's a task for real professionals.
I mean it's cool to sell homemade pads, but you gotta be sure that they actually sound good on the HPs, specially when you are charging more than the stock prices.
Thank you, this guy made me feel I was talking to some top pads expert, assuring me all the way, I was sure that for 100$ (it was on discount, it costs 140$) I must be getting something worth while, guess not. thanks for the sympathy, I appreciate it.

Jan 23, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #3,132 of 4,965
I'd like to report that I've received the custom pads from ntraxmoddesign, and I am very unsatisfied to say the least. The guy presented himself as some sort of expert but the pads are absolutely terrible, they sound horrible and create an unbearable vacuum. When I contacted him and reported this and ask for a refund (they cost me 100$+100$ shipping, not cheap pads) he refused, claiming he is just making pads and he's just an enthusiast.

A full report on this: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dis-recommendation-on-ntrax-custom-pads.966628/
Sorry to hear. That does suck. If he's merely an "enthusiast," then he should not be making much less selling pads.

Jan 23, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #3,133 of 4,965

Well.

The D8000 line of pads are all very very breathable and open structure, in the materials, the foams and the little dimples under. To think you can just close that right up with solid leather and it not most likely cause issues is a bit .....

He should probably stick to pads he knows don't alter sound much, or measure them on actual cans like Dekoni do. And if the buyer insists to jsut make some he hasn't tested, ensure there is an agreement of no returns, as the material and labour has been consumed.

I asked him about some D8000 pads, but after thinking about it more myself, decided he had no hope of making something that would work with it, they are too uniquely constructed and specific.

Jan 23, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #3,134 of 4,965
Well.

The D8000 line of pads are all very very breathable and open structure, in the materials, the foams and the little dimples under. To think you can just close that right up with solid leather and it not most likely cause issues is a bit .....

He should probably stick to pads he knows don't alter sound much, or measure them on actual cans like Dekoni do. And if the buyer insists to jsut make some he hasn't tested, ensure there is an agreement of no returns, as the material and labour has been consumed.

I asked him about some D8000 pads, but after thinking about it more myself, decided he had no hope of making something that would work with it, they are too uniquely constructed and specific.
I'm glad to hear you did not place an order with NTRAX.
I guess I was naive, I was sure this man must be some sort of pads superstar to be so backed up there was a month waiting time, and charging so much. I told him many times during our chat(s) that I have no idea what to choose, and that I trust and rely on him, and he never toke a step back and told me he is just making things up and he is not responsible for anything, he advised, choose and designed the pads, I followed his advice, and I even asked a few times after ordering if it was not a mistake making them so thick, and he kept assuring me, never saying he doesn't know and it's on me.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #3,135 of 4,965
Given they are useless in current state. May I suggest getting a very sharp heavy guage needle and poking a dense grid of holes in the outer leather. Or a blade and cut some neat slits. Something to add a lot of open area to that outer leather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back