Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 23, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #3,136 of 4,965
Jan 23, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #3,137 of 4,965
I'm glad to hear you did not place an order with NTRAX.
I guess I was naive, I was sure this man must be some sort of pads superstar to be so backed up there was a month waiting time, and charging so much. I told him many times during our chat(s) that I have no idea what to choose, and that I trust and rely on him, and he never toke a step back and told me he is just making things up and he is not responsible for anything, he advised, choose and designed the pads, I followed his advice, and I even asked a few times after ordering if it was not a mistake making them so thick, and he kept assuring me, never saying he doesn't know and it's on me.
I did a lot of pad-rolling 4-5 years ago. I finally stopped when I realized that I was failing to get sonic improvement >90% of the time, no matter how high quality the 2nd set of pads was. I finally realized that optimal match of pads to headphone = voodoo, guesswork, unless you designed the headphone & tested all manner of pads with it to get the best sonic fit or designed/built the pads yourself.

As @Benno1988 says, the design of the Final pads is unique, not easy to replicate with aftermarket pads. When I got my D8000 with stock pads, I read comments from other D8000 owners that it was worth upgrading to the Final D8000 Pro's "G" pads, which are subtly different. They were absolutely right: the "G" pads gave me a subtle but very welcome sonic upgrade, and I've never been tempted to padroll after that.

If I ever get tempted, I'd probably start with something like the Brainwavz 100mm velours, or maybe a lambskin perforated on all sides. The absolute last thing I'd try is a pad that doesn't breath on all 3 sides, or a pad that's noticeably thicker or thinner than Final pads.

Jan 23, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #3,138 of 4,965
Beeing also blessed with a small head (…. with big thoughts … :) of course), I also put the whole Pilot Pad underneath the headband to make the D8000 Pro somehow fit to my head, which was somehow a solution, but not very convenient.

thanks @adydula for sharing those insights.

Sure: This should make you smile!! LOL...

20220427_104629.jpg

After having received my https://www.headonist.fr/products/bandeau-confort-pour-final-serie-d today (thank you @lafeuill for sharing) – it does not only fit like a second skin to the D8000PROs Headband it also changes the way it fits to my (small) head.

If you don't mind spending a bit more to get something special, I wholeheartedly recommend this one, designed for the D8000s, in collaboration with Beautiful Audio in New Zealand.

https://www.headonist.fr/products/bandeau-confort-pour-final-serie-d?_pos=1&_sid=9a7a596f9&_ss=r

IMG_0050_1600x.jpg

Just bought one for my Pros after demoing it in the shop. It comes in two versions, one in full Nappa leather (photo) and another with leather on top and Merinos wool on the skull side.

I don't regret the 170€ I spent, a quality investment. Supreme comfort, mark my words.

Pierre, the Headonist shop owner, is a great guy. Don't hesitate to get in touch.

For me the clamping pressure is now different (unknown to the D8000 PRO feeling with the ZMF Pilot Pad I had used before), especially above the ears.

Only now recognising, the D8000 PROs earpads did not really had much/almost no pressure to my head above the ears…. - I could now even swear, I never heard my D8000 PROs so open so transparent, with deeper and faster bass and bigger soundstage – somehow freed from all limits 😊

I know, you can not really speak of a real seal with the D8000 but if you lift the ear-pads a little bit above your ears you will know, what I mean and currently experience.

So I am currently sitting here listening to the “Eyes of the Universe” like I never saw them before 😊, being very very happy with the Headband suggested from @lafeuill and of course the D8000 PRO.

KH-Headband.jpg

:beerchug:

Jan 23, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #3,139 of 4,965
Beeing also blessed with a small head (…. with big thoughts … :) of course), I also put the whole Pilot Pad underneath the headband to make the D8000 Pro somehow fit to my head, which was somehow a solution, but not very convenient.

After having received my https://www.headonist.fr/products/bandeau-confort-pour-final-serie-d today (thank you @lafeuill for sharing) – it does not only fit like a second skin to the D8000PROs Headband it also changes the way it fits to my (small) head.

For me the clamping pressure is now different (unknown to the D8000 PRO feeling with the ZMF Pilot Pad I had used before), especially above the ears.

Only now recognising, the D8000 PROs earpads did not really had much/almost no pressure to my head above the ears…. - I could now even swear, I never heard my D8000 PROs so open so transparent, with deeper and faster bass and bigger soundstage – somehow freed from all limits 😊

I know, you can not really speak of a real seal with the D8000 but if you lift the ear-pads a little bit above your ears you will know, what I mean and currently experience.

So I am currently sitting here listening to the “Eyes of the Universe” like I never saw them before 😊, being very very happy with the Headband suggested from @lafeuill and of course the D8000 PRO.

Congrats, you got an amazing setup there! I'll be getting the beautiful audio headband for my D8K Pro LE soon. It's expensive but only heard good things about the comfort, and it's certainly beatiful :).

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #3,141 of 4,965

KH-Headband.jpg

Very interesting post.

I have a quite large & tall head and dared not investigate these headband padding options you mention. I use the original ZMF Pilot Pad on my ZMF Ori (ordered it sans stock leather underband & with the PP installed). Both sliders on that headphone are down nearly all the way, leaving only ~1/2" of additional vertical adjustment possible. The result is a less than ideal seal of the stock Ori pads against my face. So I know the Pilot Pad option won't work for me with the D8000.

What I did instead was also a bit risky--installed a leather underband made for me by the very helpful & knowledgeable Head-Fi'er, @puck. That did the trick. It takes up less vertical room than any headband padding would, but relieves my skull from the worst of the hotspot that otherwise would develop on the inside/center of the stock headband.

The result is acceptable comfort. The stock headband is no longer an annoying distraction; now I can ignore it and just listen to the headphone (the sound is spectacular!).

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #3,144 of 4,965
Nice to hear that. Is it easy to install? I cant see any buttons or a Zip.

it can be fixed with magnetic fixtures - probably incorrect english word - so I try to show it in pictures below, to make things more clear

Headband with closed magnetic fixture
IMG_0886[1]5.jpg

Headband with open magnetic fixture
IMG_0888[1]2.jpg

Headband side view
1674544704655.png

Headband top view
IMG_0885[1].jpg

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #3,145 of 4,965
What I did instead was also a bit risky--installed a leather underband made for me by the very helpful & knowledgeable Head-Fi'er, @puck. That did the trick. It takes up less vertical room than any headband padding would, but relieves my skull from the worst of the hotspot that otherwise would develop on the inside/center of the stock headband.

yes, I have read your very good manual and wanted to do the same, but I did not find a saddlery to sell me the small piece of leather .... so at the end I was faster in buying the Pilot Pads/ Pierres Headband .... But I really like your customized headband looks very comfortable without taking too much space

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #3,146 of 4,965
It’s an easy install. You just remove 2 screws on either side and use them to attach the strap.
Thanks, I kinda was expecting that cause there wasn't any sign or zips/buttons.
it can be fixed with magnetic fixtures - probably incorrect english word - so I try to show it in pictures below, to make things more clear

Headband with closed magnetic fixture
IMG_0886[1]5.jpg

Headband with open magnetic fixture
IMG_0888[1]2.jpg

Headband side view
1674544704655.png

Headband top view
IMG_0885[1].jpg
That's a quite smart mechanism. Thank you for the great photos!

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #3,147 of 4,965
Thanks, I kinda was expecting that cause there wasn't any sign or zips/buttons.

That's a quite smart mechanism. Thank you for the great photos!
I edited my post above since I mistook which band mod you were asking about. The 2screws per side is for the suspension strap that I have made for them not for the wrap around pad.

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #3,150 of 4,965
Finally getting the opportunity to listen to these amazing headphones!

20230124_232332.jpg

20230124_232847.jpg
Awesome pictures!!! How are you finding the fit overall? Relatively comfortable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back