Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 7, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #3,168 of 4,978
Bad news. Final just anounced that they are gonna raise the price on both the regular D8000 and the D8000 Pro. They are also not including the stand on the D8000 and the carrying case on the D8000 Pro anymore. It says that they are including a new case (probably a cheaper one to save costs)

This isn't good at all. The price was already high and Im sure that they are making enough money with the actual prices, but we all know how capitalism works...
Heres the stament, in case someone wants to read, but I expect like 400/500€/$ rise.

https://final-inc.com/blogs/top/news-62

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #3,170 of 4,978
I'm waiting for D8000 to arrive, guess those don't need much power and Aune X7s should be sufficient to drive them. planars are usually no go for tube amps, but D8000 has high impedance, did anyone tried it with tubes ? Interest to see how it compares against pre 2020 Utopia, Clear OG

Feb 7, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #3,172 of 4,978
For me biggest weak link on old Utopia was it's bass. It slams, but lacks extension in lowest notes. In that regard new Utopia was better, but cost is just crazy for my wallet now. While imaging, dynamics, detail on Utopia is exceptional, I hope tradeoff will not be large. I was quite happy with Dennon D9200, but sound was too closed in and a tad too tiring in treble

Feb 7, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #3,173 of 4,978
I'm waiting for D8000 to arrive, guess those don't need much power and Aune X7s should be sufficient to drive them. planars are usually no go for tube amps, but D8000 has high impedance, did anyone tried it with tubes ? Interest to see how it compares against pre 2020 Utopia, Clear OG
They are not power hungry at all and sound good with pretty much everything, so you are fine with the Aune in my opinion. Probably you are gonna get the typical audiophile bs where people tell you: "you need xxx amp to make them sound good" ...
About the D8K vs utopia, I never heard the regular D8K, but I prefer the D8K pro to the Utopia. To me it sounds like a mix of Focal/Sennheiser headphones with the planar traits of Audeze.

Feb 7, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #3,174 of 4,978
I've owned a succession of open-back planars over the years, and the D8000 with the Pro's "G" pads is the best of the bunch IMO. It's relatively efficient and can be powered to sufficient loudness with both my tube amps (the OTL, Woo WA3; and the transformer-coupled Icon Audio HP8). But like all the other planars I own or owned, this one really wants a powerful, slightly warm SS amp to come alive.

I don't own any large, powerful transformer-coupled tube amps. Some who do say they good results on planar headphones with those amps. My opinion is that headphones tell you pretty clearly what they want, what they do best on. And with planars, it's SS.

BTW, comparisons between this planar to dynamics like the Utopia or Clear are difficult to sort through, because planars and dynamics sound fundamentally different in certain ways. In my experience, it helps to know whether you have a preference for one type of driver vs the other before you start reading/believing comparisons.

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #3,175 of 4,978
I've owned a succession of open-back planars over the years, and the D8000 with the Pro's "G" pads is the best of the bunch IMO. It's relatively efficient and can be powered to sufficient loudness with both my tube amps (the OTL, Woo WA3; and the transformer-coupled Icon Audio HP8). But like all the other planars I own or owned, this one really wants a powerful, slightly warm SS amp to come alive.

I don't own any large, powerful transformer-coupled tube amps. Some who do say they good results on planar headphones with those amps. My opinion is that headphones tell you pretty clearly what they want, what they do best on. And with planars, it's SS.

BTW, comparisons between this planar to dynamics like the Utopia or Clear are difficult to sort through, because planars and dynamics sound fundamentally different in certain ways. In my experience, it helps to know whether you have a preference for one type of driver vs the other before you start reading/believing comparisons.

I actually had a chance to choose between pro & non pro version of D8000 nearly at the same price, decided to go with warmer option and ordered G pro pads for D8000. My experience with planars are only via Oppo pm3 which I used extensively for many ears and few Hifiman hp's. PM3 was an amazing headphones at that time with one of the best mid's I've heard, did not like Hifiman Ananda/Arya. While technically more impressive, tonality was off for me with harsh treble and diffuse staging. I thought I could go without headphones, while IEM's are fun and some are very good I just can't go with them for extensive listening sessions. Speakers via digital source just doesn't click with me

Feb 7, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #3,176 of 4,978

I would agree that planers generally like SS over tube amps BUT I have had more than just "good" (I'd say "great") results pairing the D8K Pros with a 300B OPT amp.

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #3,177 of 4,978
I would agree that planers generally like SS over tube amps BUT I have had more than just "good" (I'd say "great") results pairing the D8K Pros with a 300B OPT amp.
I'm pretty satisfied with my tube amp and D8000 combo, I also have a SS dac/amp, they're two different kind of sound, with the tube amp it sounds warm punchy and dynamic, and with the SS amp it sounds clean and revealing :)

20221116_173126.jpg

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #3,178 of 4,978
Bad news. Final just anounced that they are gonna raise the price on both the regular D8000 and the D8000 Pro. They are also not including the stand on the D8000 and the carrying case on the D8000 Pro anymore. It says that they are including a new case (probably a cheaper one to save costs)

This isn't good at all. The price was already high and Im sure that they are making enough money with the actual prices, but we all know how capitalism works...
Heres the stament, in case someone wants to read, but I expect like 400/500€/$ rise.

https://final-inc.com/blogs/top/news-62
no point complaining about prices,just dont buy it

Feb 7, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #3,179 of 4,978
no point complaining about prices,just dont buy it
Im not complaining, plus I already own the D8K pro and the LE.
Is it bad to worry about the consumers? I don't see anything bad about it.
Plus raising the prices for an already niche company means that they would be less competitive.

It looks like that some people actually works for the companies :) ...

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #3,180 of 4,978
Im not complaining, plus I already own the D8K pro and the LE.
Is it bad to worry about the consumers? I don't see anything bad about it.
Plus raising the prices for an already niche company means that they would be less competitive.

It looks like that some people actually works for the companies :) ...
I think the prices we are forced to pay for everything today is an outrage...food, shelter,energy etc..that said as much as it upsets me to see the insane prices today of audio equipment and other tech it is not a necessity so less outrage from me..I have to eat, I dont have to buy a 5k HP...although I do lol

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back