Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 15, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #3,092 of 4,925
If the utopia thread is littered with posts about driver failures, do you think it this headphone is more or less failure prone than other headphones using dynamic drivers?

Would you agree with my unscientific (tho based on years of Head-Fi reading) belief that planar drivers are more prone to failure than dynamic drivers (ie, a class effect)?

Maybe I'm missing things here, but I can't recall many dynamic headphones that were plagued by driver failures; while I have seen countless posts about planar headphones having driver failure.

FYI, in 6+ years of headphone audio (owning many) I've had one driver failure--a planar. I owned, then sold several older Audeze LCDs. They were on their best behavior with me--no failures. Then again, the Darwinian nature of headphone survival probably holds that most of the driver failures one would expect in pre-fazor LCD-2.1s and LCD-3s had already happened before mine arrived...
i can't offer an informed opinion on that without knowing what the actual failure rates are of utopia's compared to other dynamic driver and planar magnetic headphone models

Jan 16, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #3,093 of 4,925
Hi guys. They are finally here. Havent tried them yet, but they are insanely gorgeous in person. Right of out the bat the comfort in a major improvement. They have significant less camping force than my silver pros. Not sure if it's because they have loosened it or because the pads. Id say that in stock, they are more comfortable than my Finals with bent headband and headband cover+strip.

Will try it in a few hours and share some first impressions.

Attachments

• IMG20230116170035.jpg
    IMG20230116170035.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20230116170222.jpg
    IMG20230116170222.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20230116170602.jpg
    IMG20230116170602.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20230116170632.jpg
    IMG20230116170632.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20230116171556.jpg
    IMG20230116171556.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 16, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #3,094 of 4,925
Hi guys. They are finally here. Havent tried them yet, but they are insanely gorgeous in person. Right of out the bat the comfort in a major improvement. They have significant less camping force than my silver pros. Not sure if it's because they have loosened it or because the pads. Id say that in stock, they are more comfortable than my Finals with bent headband and headband cover+strip.

Keenly await your impressions.

Many congrats - definitely best looking headphones out there 👌

Jan 16, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #3,095 of 4,925

They surely are the looker!
Hope you will enjoy them

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #3,100 of 4,925

Very nice review of the D8000 Pro by DMS.

I wonder if same set of cans were moved around to all these youtubers? Next in line Joshua?

Jan 16, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #3,102 of 4,925
A Final D8000 appreciation tale...

Last week I fired up my side system (Audio GD R2R-11 MK2 with signal from a SPDIF convertor + Monoprice/Monolith LGX + Cavalli Liquid Carbon v2), only to find that one channel was silent and the sound was compressed & weird. I took the headphones over to my main system and did my listening there, but resolved to check out the side system more thoroughly later on.

Saturday night was "later on." I fired up the side system again, plugged in the D8000 w/the Pro's "G" pads, and prepared for disappointment due to equipment issues. But everything worked exactly as usual. And the sound was so good (first through the LGX, then through the LC, both amps that love planar hps) that I had a lot of trouble taking that headphone off my head.

IMO the sound of the D8000 is exceptional, balancing high resolution with a slight warmth (it's a musical sound) and perhaps the best quality of bass I've ever heard IMS. In my experience, it's a rare headphone that could easily be used for audio monitoring (that resolution and clarity), but also for enjoyment of music. The D8000 is one of the few headphones that can do that.

Jan 16, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #3,105 of 4,925
Hi guys. After 5 hours of listening and comparisons I think I can share some initial thoughts.

Before I start, I wanna say sorry for the long A** post and apologize if my english isn't the best, as It's not my native language.
Also, and more important, you gotta take my opinion with a grain of salt because all is subjective and I've been A/B ing without a switch, so it takes like 15 seconds to change headphones and plug them. Our memory is not very good when it comes to memorize sounds and the best situation would be switching instantly but this is impossible...

Also, the LE are brand new and my Finals aren't, and althought I don't believe that mechanical burn-in makes any significant differences (more of a mental burn-in guy), I believe that worn pads does and can alter the FR.

I'll start for the comfort. Definitely there's a signigicant improvement on this regard. Pads are way firmer and they don't move like the pro ones, which wiggle quite a bit.
Washi pads feel softer and more natural to the skin than the suede of the pro pads. They also feel more fresh and breathable. I think that the pads are the main key in the perception of a different sound between these 2 (more about this later).

I'll be clear from the beggining, the LE sounds different from the regular pro version. There are some changes in the tonality for sure. They are not major and the signature is mostly the same: bright/neutral. But it's noticiable.
Timbre still very good in both, sounding very natural.

It's funny how our ears are different. I read in most of the reviews and comparisons that the LE were warmer and bassier, however I feel like they are brighter and has a bit less bass and body overall. Don't get me wrong, this changes are very subtle and depends of the track.
Overall I feel that the LE is more vivid, brighter and sharper, which gives the sensation of a more lively sound, while the pros sound a bit more laid back in comparison, but also fuller.

The pads, being more firmer, keep the ear further from the driver and this also makes the sound a bit more airier and gives the perception of a bigger soundstage and sharper imaging sometimes. The regular D8K Pro presentation feels a tiny bit more in your face and also a touch more physical because of that. However, I have the sensation that the LE is somehow more dinamic even if it feels a tad lighter in the bass.
There's a general sensation of increased vocal clarity in most of the tracks that I used (maybe an increase of upper mids). This might change once the pads are worn and the ears gets closer to the driver.

Being sharper and more vivid isn't always good. It gives the perception of being slightly more resolving, but with some tracks, I got some harsh moments with a hotter treble than Im used to with the silver D8K Pro. Nothing ear piercing or something, but it's goods to point that it gets borderline hot/sibilant sometimes.

Before I share some notes that I took while comparing, I wanna say that I think that both of them got the same SQ and there are just a few tonal changes, so I don't consider the LE an upgrade per se. Of course some people could think that they are, but for me they are a clear comfort improvement with an exquisite packaging and a sexy new paintjob.
Still need to spend way more time with them to put my fingers on those small changes in the tonality and what's most important, decide the one that Im going to keep.
At the moment Im leaning towards the LE because of the comfort and the new toy syndrome, but I'll defo give it some time before I decide.

Listening notes

-Dave brubeck's "Take 5" : Slighty more spacious sound in the LE. Crash ride in the left channel sounds more defined and bright, and the kick drum sounds a bit further in the mix.

- "Ferris wheel" by Yumi Matsutoya: Slightly forward and clear voices in the LE, with more guitar&keyboard clarity.

-"Born to play" by Jon Baptiste from the "Soul" ost. This is funny cause I find the LE to have a big more punch and bass here contrary from what I found in other tracks. Im pretty sure that the tonality in the bass has changed (would love to compare graphs).
Apart from this, more of the same. LE sounds sharper with more energy.

-"In the wind" by yoshi Horikawa : the wind effects and sizzles sound almost sibilant on the LE and more subdued on the regular pros, which has a more rich sound here, a tad more of bass pressence . This means a more "in your face" sound, but obviously there's still very wide with amazing stereo separation, it's just a bit wider and spacious on the LE.

-"The shinobi" By yuzo Koshiro from The Revenge of shinobi soundtrack: Sensation of less bass(midbass) from the LE, which feels wider and less physical with synth and drums.

-"Tank" by the Seatbelts from Cowboy Bebop just from the beggining the LE shows like it has a bit more spark up top being borderline harsh. Regular pros sounds with a bit more body and relaxed. The maracas amd congas at the beggining sound more crisp and defined in the LE feeling more holographic overall.

-On Madonna's " the power of goodbye" , the synths at the beggining sound a bit more close and physical in the regular pros and more airy and ethereal on the LE.

- "Crystal Ann" Annihilator: The acoustic guitar sounds like its played on a bigger stage in the LE and theres a feeling of more separation between instruments.

"Summer romance" by Incubus: The differences in the tonality are clear just at the beggining. The distorted guitar on the left side sounds significantly more defined and vivid on the LE, while in the regular pros sounds darker. The bassline after that, sound bassier and more boomy on the regular pros, while sounding more clean on the LE. The crash hit on the second 18 sounds more splashy and forward on the LE.
Same story on "Flying floor for US airways" from the drummer Eli Keszler. This track is a mix of jazz drumming and electronic effects. The regular pros feels a bit more dense and atmospheric and the LE presents it cleaner, increasing the dynamics and the attack of the snares and cymbals.

- "Code Cool" by Patricia Barber (great track to test sibilance). The LE sounds more sibilant than the regular pros, which sound less aggresive. Keep in mind that this track is sibilant by nature but the LE could sound borderline sibilant if the tracks is hot in that frequency spectrun.
Drums again, specially hi-hats sounds more accentuated in the LE.

- "Hunting high and low" by Silje Neergaard. Overall no major differences except a bit of more voice resolution (I feel that upper mids are higher here than in the regular D8K pro)
Same story with "Quisiera escapar" by Manolo García, the LE pulling ahead in vocal clarity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back