FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 3, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #3,272 of 6,777
I have a 600ohm hd25-13 and in +6db it goes to a very rasonable volume(maybe a little loud, that pleasent loud), and in +12db it can get loud without any 'distorcion', maybe too much loud for our ears. it's a 35mm driver relatively easy to drive(considering its 600ohm).

any further questions please shoot:)

May 3, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #3,273 of 6,777
Is there a new version of the E17? Look closely at the power button, it is switched with the input select button. Also the branding logo in the back is different.

I just sold my Alpen for $250 bucks on amazon with the velcro mod case i did, and the brainwavz for a total of $270 bucks. Not a bad profit! 

May 4, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #3,274 of 6,777
Quote:
Is there a new version of the E17? Look closely at the power button, it is switched with the input select button. Also the branding logo in the back is different.

I just sold my Alpen for $250 bucks on amazon with the velcro mod case i did, and the brainwavz for a total of $270 bucks. Not a bad profit! 

Interesting, I would like to know as well. Were there some improvements to this R2?

May 4, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #3,275 of 6,777
Interesting, I would like to know as well. Were there some improvements to this R2?

No such thing as a 'R2'. That's just an old rendering of E17 when it is still in the R&D phase. What we have now is the final design.

May 4, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #3,277 of 6,777
FiiO E17 and COWON J3. Which cable do you recommend to connect to each other? L8 or L2?

May 4, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #3,279 of 6,777
Quote:
L9 is the best cable for e17 and ipod classic?

thanks...

Posted two pages back...

Quote:
(courtesy of FiiO)

For an iPod the best one to use should either be an L3 or L9, L9 is usually the better choice as it is more discrete, but some amps won't fit the L9 or you wnat to plug into a desktop set so then the L3 would be better. They use superior wiring on the inside from Oyaide Japan(L3 and L9)

So for an E17, the L9 is usually the better choice :)

Good luck

May 4, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #3,282 of 6,777
I have burnt it in for additional 24 hours, making it 48 total, and it just keeps getting better and better. I have never used anything else that has benefited from burn in as much as the e17.

May 4, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #3,283 of 6,777
Quote:
I have burnt it in for additional 24 hours, making it 48 total, and it just keeps getting better and better. I have never used anything else that has benefited from burn in as much as the e17.

I agree with you...even I didn't benefit from burin in any other source...this may be due to high quality dac in e17

But I use to hear that burn-in is not required for source, for amp it may require though

Out of Topic:

I regret for not visiting head-fi 5 yrs back. I bought Marantz CDP + Amp + KEF iQ5 speakers but didn't enjoy much due to space constraint. Had I known about this portable audiophile DACs and headphones I would not have spent $1500. I sold all the three due to space constraint

Now I'm really happy. Thanks to Head-Fi community. this really brought the pleasure which I use to get from aiwa walkman 10 yrs back....

May 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #3,284 of 6,777
I'm not sure that I've been able to hear any burn in tbh. What exactly did you hear after the burn in? 

I am enjoying the e17 more after I've gotten used to it. I didn't think that I'd like the up and down volume as I prefer an analogue knob, but it's fine now that I've gotten used to it. I love the hardware EQ. It's just a nice clean dac with plenty of pop for a portable device. Great product!!

May 4, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #3,285 of 6,777
Hardware EQ is a nice add on for newbies. Many times FiiO's and other comapnies devices are hard to get used to due to the neutral and transparent sound so some may not "hear" anything at first. The EQ allows audiophile's to enjoy their music by boosting up the stuff they like on parts they enjoy and also allows newbies to hear differences and make the transition better.

FiiO was worried about implementing or not implementing such a feature but I will say this is a success. FiiO has noted that it is making universal products and it's featuring in popular consumer websites and features like allowing computer to control volume over USB(previously disabled), EQ, simple design and use has shown that. However in my opinion going to far into the consumer sector may be....bad in the long term and should not be..continued or else you become one of THOSE companies that can't support both niche and consumer lines...and there are many of those.

FiiO E17 and COWON J3. Which cable do you recommend to connect to each other? L8 or L2?

As you can see, they use the same wire(the L2 and L8) and the only difference is plug type. You buy the one that fits your purpose best. For an iPod and E17 L9 or L shape is best as the curving nature fits. If you think the L shape works, then get the L shape, if you need straight as it's..kinda far away, then get the L2, keep in mind that if it's too far away you will need to use the stock cables FiiO provide with the E17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back