FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 5, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #3,301 of 6,777
Any place in the US that is selling this for ~$140 still? The only place I see it at that price is Head-Direct. Is that a legit/good vendor? Could not find any reviews for that particular place. It is $146 with shipping there.

May 5, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #3,303 of 6,777
Quote:
Any place in the US that is selling this for ~$140 still? The only place I see it at that price is Head-Direct. Is that a legit/good vendor? Could not find any reviews for that particular place. It is $146 with shipping there.

Head-Direct IS a reputable store :) It is by HifiMan of course :) It is also an authorized FiiO dealer so you know they just didn't buy FROM an authorized one.

May 6, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #3,305 of 6,777
I've owned my E17 for about 3 weeks now. I'm really happy about some aspects and won't get into details right now.

Has anyone else the same impression that +6 gain is not only louder, but also a bit boomy? The impression I have is only accentuated with +12 gain. By comparison, 0 gain sounds, for lack of better words, on the analytical spectrum. 
jecklinsmile.gif
, rather than 
L3000.gif
. Quality wise, I thing gain 0 is clearly cleaner. 

Just curious if my ears trick me.

May 6, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #3,306 of 6,777
Quote:
I've owned my E17 for about 3 weeks now. I'm really happy about some aspects and won't get into details right now.

Has anyone else the same impression that +6 gain is not only louder, but also a bit boomy? The impression I have is only accentuated with +12 gain. By comparison, 0 gain sounds, for lack of better words, on the analytical spectrum. 
jecklinsmile.gif
, rather than 
L3000.gif

hmm for my TF10 and DT880 i don't think it sounds boomier...maybe with a lot of bass boost.  are your headphones kinda bassy? 

At first I might have mistaken the 12dB gain as more full sound--but maybe I'm wrong?  It definitely makes it louder... my friends couldn't really tell whether or not it sounded better or not (aside from louder) from 0/6db/12db. 

I like a warmer sound, however, and have very neutral phones..     What do you mean by qualitywise cleaner?    Is it sounding distorted/scratchy at all when you have it at 6 or 12db gain?  Even at 12db gain the sound is clean in my experience..  do you have your source EQ'd?  what kind of files are you playing? 

May 6, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #3,307 of 6,777
I'm pretty new at this, so I don't know how much my input is worth.  I have noticed the same on my ATH M50's though.  I think it's because of the extra power it makes available.  The impedance varies across the frequency range of any speaker/driver and if you add more power, it will usually drive it better in the areas that are lacking than when it is underpowered, evening out the response to input.  It can have a negative effect on the other frequencies that the driver is trying to produce at the same time though.  That's just my experience from car stereo.  Don't know how much it transfers to these tiny, full range drivers.

I know I am in love with this little E17.  I don't take my headphones off anymore!  Highly impressed, but I am new to head-fi.  I am going to pick up a set of HD598's next and check them out with it.  My wallet hates me so much!

May 6, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #3,308 of 6,777
Quote:

hmm for my TF10 and DT880 i don't think it sounds boomier...maybe with a lot of bass boost.  are your headphones kinda bassy? 

At first I might have mistaken the 12dB gain as more full sound--but maybe I'm wrong?  It definitely makes it louder... my friends couldn't really tell whether or not it sounded better or not (aside from louder) from 0/6db/12db. 

I like a warmer sound, however, and have very neutral phones..     What do you mean by qualitywise cleaner?    Is it sounding distorted/scratchy at all when you have it at 6 or 12db gain?  Even at 12db gain the sound is clean in my experience..  do you have your source EQ'd?  what kind of files are you playing? 

The sound material is bull****, nothing of real quality, really. The FiiO sounds extremely nice with +6, but when I went with +0, first I thought it was lacking something, but after 30 seconds I got the impression the sound is cleaner.  The headphones are also cheap crap, so I'll have to get back on the matter in 1-2 weeks when HE-400 get in stock in Holland and I can FINALLY get them. 

But what I meant about boomy ... maybe ... bass with a bit of scratch ... but I repeat, lousy material, and cheap headphones. 

The FiiO E17, just to make it clear, is a BIG WOOOOOW for me, none the less. I'll put it to better use with quality headphones, and in the coming months, better material. :)

May 6, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #3,309 of 6,777
Quote:

jecklinsmile.gif
, rather than 
L3000.gif

My rule of thumb is to use the lowest gain possible that gives me appropriate loud levels when called for. I feel this gives me the best sound. With regard to EQ'ing the bass or treble for that matter, I have always listened "flat" to music;especially since I started listening with headphones. It's just easy to effect other areas of the spectrum and most devices don't do a good of this. But I'd call the e17 an exception. Hardware EQ is well executed by Fiio and a useful feature. I still never EQ past + or - 4. 

May 6, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #3,312 of 6,777
I know lots of audiophile in China hate EQ, they just refused any kind of EQ because they think the pure sound without any EQ is the best sound, but they just forget that all record is made by EQ in the studio. Even the live music, the frequency response of the sound from the singer will change because the room. so forget the rule, just enjoy the music you love , not matter is is through EQ or not, anyway, you can set the EQ to flat if you love the original sound.

Also in my opinion, the whole audio system includes the music itself, source ( DVD or MP3 or any other) , amp, headphone and speakers, cables, but don't forge the room and your ear, because different room and ear have different frequency response , so sometime it does need a  EQ so you can make the whole audio system become better.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #3,313 of 6,777
Quote:
I know lots of audiophile in China hate EQ, they just refused any kind of EQ because they think the pure sound without any EQ is the best sound, but they just forget that all record is made by EQ in the studio. Even the live music, the frequency response of the sound from the singer will change because the room. so forget the rule, just enjoy the music you love , not matter is is through EQ or not, anyway, you can set the EQ to flat if you love the original sound.

Also in my opinion, the whole audio system includes the music itself, source ( DVD or MP3 or any other) , amp, headphone and speakers, cables, but don't forge the room and your ear, because different room and ear have different frequency response , so sometime it does need a  EQ so you can make the whole audio system become better.

IMO, Eq should be used to get the sound you enjoy the most, and there are shortcomings from records many times, especially bad masters and thats where EQ comes in handy.

May 6, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #3,315 of 6,777
Quote:
Great! maybe we should make a USB cable which can support extra power supply!

I confess that I have not read all 3000 plus posts to this thread.   My apologies, in advance, if my questions have been addressed.  Apparently, without a great deal of manipulation, the E17 cannot be successfully connected to an iPad via the Camera Connection Kit (CCK) even with USB charging turned off. On the other hand, my E7 can be connected via USB to my new 3G Ipad.  I am thinking about upgrading to the E17 and have several questions:

1.  When connecting my E7 to my iPad via USB/CCK, I assume that I am using the DAC in the E7 as opposed to the internal DAC in the iPad???   If so, will an E17 connected to the iPad's headphone output via L9 connection cable still beat the E7 connected by USB or would it be a wash?

2.  From all indications, is there any doubt that the E17 will outperform my E7 when connected to my iPod claasic or IPod Touch 4G?  When connected to an iPod, I understand that I am using the E-7/E-17's internal amplifier but NOT their DACs.      

Users who are viewing this thread

Back