FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #3,333 of 6,777
I didn't have my Bifrost (long story) in the past 3 weeks. So I use my E17+E7 as the DAC to Lyr. I got to say after 2 weeks of using it (5 hours daily) (after adequate burn in), E17+E7 did really well. It is not as good as Bifrost but it is good enough that I am enjoying all my favorite songs. E17 is really a good value for money. Keep up the good work, Fiio!

May 8, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #3,334 of 6,777
Quote:
Quote:
Just as a dac for your laptop? Just curious
Just got an old Netbook. Pretty sure I will use the amp portion also

Yep just as a DAC. The E9 just acts as a LOD for the E17.

E17 has a pretty decent DAC built in and i'm too poor to afford anything higher...but i'm happy with what i have (for now).

so that's all the E9 is doing?  LOD?  I was about to say omg, is the E17 just acting as a "cable" between your source and the EF5, but then I just found out that the EF5 is an amplifier :p 

May 8, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #3,335 of 6,777
Just a quick question to the E17/E9 owners out there. How does the combo sound with the eq settings going through the E9? I have an E17, and am wondering if I would benefit from getting one. 

May 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #3,338 of 6,777
Quote:
so that's all the E9 is doing?  LOD?  I was about to say omg, is the E17 just acting as a "cable" between your source and the EF5, but then I just found out that the EF5 is an amplifier :p 

Yep...it's essentially the same as the L7 but i have RCA cables and want to use those instead of a 3.5mm connection that the L7 uses..

The volume pot on the E9 does nothing when i move up around. Volume is controlled on my EF-5.

May 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #3,339 of 6,777
I don't know if you guys remember me mentioning before, but i had that problem where playing music through youtube resulted in static/popping sounds, but using foobar or any other music player works fine.

Well that was on Windows 7, trying the E17 on Linux Mint and i get no such popping sounds on youtube or with the built in music player.

I thought before that it might be my usb port but this sort of debunks that. I don't know what to do to get this working right on windows. Could it be bad drivers?

May 8, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #3,340 of 6,777
Quote:
I don't know if you guys remember me mentioning before, but i had that problem where playing music through youtube resulted in static/popping sounds, but using foobar or any other music player works fine.

Well that was on Windows 7, trying the E17 on Linux Mint and i get no such popping sounds on youtube or with the built in music player.

I thought before that it might be my usb port but this sort of debunks that. I don't know what to do to get this working right on windows. Could it be bad drivers?

It might be, I have always asked people to update theirs.

This is why I also say to hold off, try it on different computers and OS's(if applicable). I'm sure I said similar stuff to you.

Weird it's just youtube...hmm. Try updating Windows Drivers. Remember to make a new restore point BEFORE you do anything.
Type in "create a restore point" and voila.

May 8, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #3,341 of 6,777
Possibly a dumb question... If I wanted to could I use L7 to go Laptop--->E17--->Stereo amplifier---->Speakers?

Not sure if the LO signal from the E17 would be suitable for that type of amplifier...

May 8, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #3,342 of 6,777
Quote:
Possibly a dumb question... If I wanted to could I use L7 to go Laptop--->E17--->Stereo amplifier---->Speakers?

Not sure if the LO signal from the E17 would be suitable for that type of amplifier...

Yes you would go

USB output on laptop(S/PDIF if you have or need)-->E17-->L7-->Stereo amplifier --->Speakers

You will not be using E17 amp. You will then be using the Wolfson DAC and not your laptops. Yes that setup will work if it follows what is below. No it is not a dumb question, I would have laughed and wrote something if it was a dumb one(jk). Stuff like this has been asked before..but I'm not going to ask you to read for 2-3 hours and do hours more of research and careful reading to find that.

It will work IF your stereo amplifier isn't special and will accept a signal. As in if you can plug your ipod to it with a cable and use it that way...you can do it with this.

If you can plug it with an ipod then it should work. Now does it accept an 3.5mm plug for the actual input or an RCA? If it is the later then you need an RCA to 3.5mm cable. Both male. Monoprice is a good place usually.

If  your stereo accepts something else but CAN accep an 3.5mm jack..like some have an "ipod" side, then that might not be good.

May 8, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #3,343 of 6,777
Cheers Bowie. I knew I could make the physical connections just wasn't sure if it would actually work properly though.

The worst thing about my E17 so far...I don't want to use my clip +. Listening almost entirely at my PC at the moment.

Need to do more listening with E17 amping Clip + but initial thoughts are it doesn't add much apart from volume.

May 8, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #3,344 of 6,777
Quote:
Cheers Bowie. I knew I could make the physical connections just wasn't sure if it would actually work properly though.

The worst thing about my E17 so far...I don't want to use my clip +. Listening almost entirely at my PC at the moment.

Need to do more listening with E17 amping Clip + but initial thoughts are it doesn't add much apart from volume.

Devices that don't have an Line out option like the Clip are dead to me personally. Other devices have good enough circuitry and amp to dual amp but the cheap clip in my opinion isn't one of them.

I use my E17 a lot with my PC as well. The Mac's headphone out and DAC is good enough for my other headphones.

May 10, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #3,345 of 6,777
Quick question guys- for my desktop setup, I have a MacBook Pro>>FiiO E17 (Via USB)>>JDSLabs C421 Amp (Via L7 Line Out adaptor)>>My speakers/iPod Dock. Every piece of the setup has its own volume and EQ settings. Is there any particular "protocol" in such setups on which I should use as the primary device for making adjustments, for example should I have the volume turned down to a minimum on everything and use the speaker's/MBP's etc controls, or does it not particularly matter? Any insight would be greatly appreciated [=

Users who are viewing this thread

Back