FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 2, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #3,256 of 6,777
Quote:
TOO LATE!!! lol.
biggrin.gif

Haha! This thread almost put me down a couple times!  Just waiting to get the E17 now!

May 2, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #3,257 of 6,777
Exactly what usb setting can be changed? Please clarify...

In the hardware settings under your main USB hub is a setting : 'PC may cut power to USB port to preserve energy'. I have my laptop always on , no sleep or other energy saving options enabled. And still I believe the laptop cuts power to the USB ports. I have now disabled the setting ... let's see ?

May 2, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #3,259 of 6,777
Quote:
Quick question guys, if I wanted to use the E17 solely as a DAC, would I have to use the L7 or is there some other other way of feeding into a separate amp?

L7 or E9 last I checked. The E9 has a line out if I remember so you can bypass the amp of both devices but as the E9 is added to the mix might add some undesirables to the sound(depending on implementation) I have yet to hear of problems doing that but as a rule of thumb it's best to have the least amount of components and those components need to be high quality and implemented well.

L7 would be best.

May 2, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #3,260 of 6,777
Thought so, thanks for clarifying. The E9 is something I want to get at some point down the line, I just need a more demanding set of cans to justify the purchase first =P the L7 will do for now!

May 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #3,261 of 6,777
Guys first off I'm a noob so let that be known lol

My question is do I need an amp plus a digital media converter like this if I plan on using it with my ps3?

I'm asking because the man that wrote the first post said there are better amps that aren't dmc's.

I'm just confused if I need one for a ps3 or not. Thanks

Btw I saw in the first couple posts this device was supposed to be around 150 but I can't find them for under 200 on Amazon

Also is this a good pair with some beyerdynamic 770 pros?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

May 3, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #3,262 of 6,777
Just got it!!!  Unpacked, hooked up and set up on MBP, and OMG!!!  I love it so far.  Running off usb and charging, setting it through my top 10 and I'll have a real impression.  So far though, it's amazing.  Thank you head-fi for making my life this much more enjoyable! 

May 3, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #3,264 of 6,777
Can get it for $140 currently in australia from various places. Anyway just got one, and i wasnt happy at first, but about 24 hours of burn in really made a difference.

likin it with the vmoda m80s

May 3, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #3,265 of 6,777
Guys first off I'm a noob so let that be known lol
My question is do I need an amp plus a digital media converter like this if I plan on using it with my ps3?
I'm asking because the man that wrote the first post said there are better amps that aren't dmc's.
I'm just confused if I need one for a ps3 or not. Thanks
Btw I saw in the first couple posts this device was supposed to be around 150 but I can't find them for under 200 on Amazon
Also is this a good pair with some beyerdynamic 770 pros?

You dont NEED a device like this for the PS3. If you watch blu ray on it and have good headphones then it would be nice but if that is your only purpose then....

Other DACs an amps with optical toslink in can do the same thing.

There are better standalone amps out there but in terms of overal features and what it has. This is great.

May 3, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #3,266 of 6,777
I plan on using it for everything from ps3 to a desktop to a portable amp.

Does anyone have any opinions on better amps/DMC? Just curious or is this the clear winner

May 3, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #3,267 of 6,777
My advice to you is to not ask that specific question in threads like this focusing on one device. Biases are much more present as this is an item specific thread.

Asking in a new thread is better but offers another bad thing, noise. There are many suggestions that are un founded on fact(dude never heard them) or just random ones. So you have to learn to sort.

May 3, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #3,268 of 6,777
Hi all,
for those who experience some clipping noise when E17 is connected via USB...and especially when using a laptop as a source...
I also own an external Sound Blaster HD card (will be used for vinyl ripping since it has phono in) and was looking at its support page...
found this article about static noise and USB latency problems causing those annoying clicks...and these are I guess mainly symptoms
with the laptops since the USB hosts are mostly shared (dunno if its right therminology but you can guess the idea)
May of use for those with E17...
anyway the article:
How to optimize your PC for Creative USB Soundcard or Headset to prevent static noise or latency

Summary:
  1. Applicable To: Sound Blaster Digital Music Premium HD, Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro, Sound Blaster Play!, Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1, Sound Blaster Tactic3D Sigma, Sound Blaster Tactic3D Alpha, Sound Blaster WoW Headset, HS-1200, Sound Blaster WoW Wireless Headset, HS-1000, Draco HS-850, Sound Blaster Arena Surround USB Gaming Headset
  2. This article provides information on how to optimize your PC for Creative USB sound card and headset to prevent static noise or latency.
  • Ensure that the headset/soundcard uses a USB Host that is on an individual IRQ slot. This means that no other devices in the PC can be sharing this IRQ.
  • If you are running a hyper-threaded CPU, turn off Hyperthreading from the BIOS. Consult your motherboard's documentation for more information on how to turn off Hyperthreading.
  • Launch Windows Control Panel and do the following:
    • Change Processor Scheduling to Background Services. Navigate to the advanced page of the System applet. Click on the Performance Settings button. Select the Advanced tab and click on Background Services for Processor Scheduling.
    • Switch Off Power Schemes. In the Power Options applet, choose the Always On power scheme. Change the settings for Monitor and Hard Disk Turn off and System standby to 'Never' (this will prevent your PC from not responding during song playback).
    • Disable System Sounds. Select the 'No Sounds' scheme under the Sounds tab of the Sounds and Audio Devices applet.
    • Where possible, disable your Network Interface Card (NIC), Wi-Fi, Modem, and any non critical USB devices and check whether the noise has been reduced or eliminated
the original link is:
http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=83981

May 3, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #3,270 of 6,777
mmm I'm getting more excited everytime I read about the E17! Looking forward to having it my self, also guys how well does it drive 250 ohm cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back