Does anyone wear fullsize headphones out in public?
Oct 5, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #76 of 103
Tried it. I just feel more comfortable wearing IEMs when moving around. Maybe if my 770's had a shorter cable.

Besides none of mine have a big "b" on the side nor look cool hanging around my neck.

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #77 of 103
Quote:
How does one use an LCD-2 in public? I can hear everything when I'm wearing them and everyone can hear everything I'm playing :s

Cultural Immersion! 
tongue.gif

Oct 5, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #78 of 103
open headphones don't leak as bad as i had imagined. so they are okay for outside use (i can talk without having to take off or mute my music) but grados leak so bad (its just a wire mesh that provids no isolation) at minimum volume my friend could hear me when sitting near me

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #81 of 103
Quote:

Heya,

Yeap; I only wear full size. I typically use my premium DT770's, or I'll use my Denon D5000's, sometimes the Brainwavz HM5. Mainly though I really like the DT770 as my full size portable of choice. Looks classy, is durable and tank like, very comfortable. I had mine recabled to 4 feet of sheathed wire, and my cable was modded to be locking/detchable. I use it with my Sansa Fuze + Fiio E11, loaded with FLAC albums of choice.

Very best,

is there a premium version of the DT770s? I thought that was just for the 880/990? Also where did you get yours recabled and for how much?

Oct 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #82 of 103
Quote:

I've had people physically move away from me to another seat on the commuter train I take, but no - people have never actually said anything to me.  As I understand it, they are musically hellspawn and good music is like holy water to them.  At least that's how I'd like to understand it. 
wink.gif

Way to respect others around you. Pretty antisocial behavior on your part.

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #83 of 103
Quote:
Way to respect others around you. Pretty antisocial behavior on your part.

If you say so...  Feel free to stay far far away from me if we're ever on the same train.

You should also know that, on said train, there are often spontaneous LOUD conversations that break out (with bellowing laughter being par for the course).  If you think I'm rude, you should try being around those people for more than a few minutes at a time.  And there is a designated quiet car that I NEVER go into - even with closed headphones.

If anyone were ever to say anything to me, I'd be happy to oblige and transition to a pair of standby IEMs.  But since they don't, I don't.

I should also note that whatever I happen to be listening is - more often than not - far more pleasing than whatever useless drivel their conversations consist of.  If you were to walk a mile in my shoes, or sit 62 miles in my train seat, you might be a little more understanding and little less judgmental.

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #84 of 103
I've seen people use ath-a700s, while they were on the train or just walking round in the street. How they've managed with the long cable and the whole AT headband system is beyond me though :p.

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #87 of 103
Yeah I'm currently using my htf600 as portable full size there one of the smallest circumaural headphones around. They sound pretty good for there price and look nice and don't look goofy on your head not very flashy but I prefer it that way. They fit nice and snug on my head went running with my dog this morning with them on and never once felt like they where going to to fall off and did not get wind noise or cable phonics you get with iem. Isolation is poor and they leak quite a bit at higher volumes wouldn't use them on the bus and especially not on planes or the subway. But for walking outside in my suburban neighborhood, the park, or around the house they work just fine. I have my iem to use for those situations when I want/need good isolation and minimal leakage.

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #88 of 103
Saw a kid wearing the HTF600s on thursday, 3rd or 4th time I've seen people wearing them around, they seem to be popular for that.

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #89 of 103
I've seen people use ath-a700s, while they were on the train or just walking round in the street. How they've managed with the long cable and the whole AT headband system is beyond me though :p.

Long cables do suck for portable use but you can always braid a headphone with a long straight cable to a shorter size its what I did with my htf600. Its now a much more manageable 3ft vs the stock 10ft wasn't sure what to do with it before this since I prefered how my eq AD700 sound to it for desktop use and the long cable was a hassle for portable use my iem was more convienent. Got to thank Mr.Nurse here on headfi for sharing the idea shows how the simplest solution can be the best solution cost no money and can be reverted/ adjusted in length unlike recabling and almost no chance or damaging your headphones. Personally though wouldn't use that style of audio technica headphone for portable even if it was closed there to big and goofy looking sound great and very comfortable though :).

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #90 of 103
When out in public I always wear headphones. I always need Isolation. Believe me, I need to use them, cos the loud city sounds drive me nuts.

I've actually never worn a full size, or on ear headphone for that matter in public. I guess that's because of IEM's being far more convenient, tidy and more effective at blocking outside noises. Of course, they sound damn good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back