Does anyone wear fullsize headphones out in public?
Sep 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 103

yepimonfire

500+ Head-Fier
I've been considering doing this simply because no matter how good IEM's can sound, they're no match for fullsize cans. 

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 103
Quote:
I've been considering doing this simply because no matter how good IEM's can sound, they're no match for fullsize cans. 

Heya,

Yeap; I only wear full size. I typically use my premium DT770's, or I'll use my Denon D5000's, sometimes the Brainwavz HM5. Mainly though I really like the DT770 as my full size portable of choice. Looks classy, is durable and tank like, very comfortable. I had mine recabled to 4 feet of sheathed wire, and my cable was modded to be locking/detchable. I use it with my Sansa Fuze + Fiio E11, loaded with FLAC albums of choice.

Very best,

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 103
Quote:

Sure, why wouldn't we?  I have worn all the cans in my inventory (and then some) in public.  I didn't remember getting any weird looks, but then again I wouldn't give a rat's ass even if I did.  I'd say go for it!  Live the dream brotha!

Although I'd also like to point out that I wear IEMs as well (both in and out of the house).  And I think that - depending on who you ask around here - you'll get differing opinions as to whether they stack up against full-sized cans... especially when you get into multi-drivered CIEM territory.

But that's neither here nor there.  My point is, hell yeah we do.  In fact, there's a thread around here called "Headphone Sightings 2" (or something like that) where we post sightings of just such public occurences!

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 103
Yes, I only use full-sized cans these days.

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 103
anyone wear open cans? lol. unfortunately all of mine are open. 

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 103
Quote:

Yep.  My K240 and SE-A1000 and HD-238 are open.  I've met with somewhat limited success with open cans though.  This is not because I mind the outside world creeping in (which is a rather curious sensation I must admit)... but because it pisses people off for some reason.  They should be so lucky that I would share my music with them, but apparently they don't see it that way.

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 103
Quote:

Yep.  My K240 and SE-A1000 and HD-238 are open.  I've met with somewhat limited success with open cans though.  This is not because I mind the outside world creeping in (which is a rather curious sensation I must admit)... but because it pisses people off for some reason.  They should be so lucky that I would share my music with them, but apparently they don't see it that way.

lol ever get complaints? like people actually griping about it?

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 103
Quote:
lol ever get complaints? like people actually griping about it?

I've had people physically move away from me to another seat on the commuter train I take, but no - people have never actually said anything to me.  As I understand it, they are musically hellspawn and good music is like holy water to them.  At least that's how I'd like to understand it. 
wink.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #9 of 103
Quote:

Heya,

Generally no. I wore some Grados out and about before, but I found that I was turning the volume up too loud to compensate for all the environmental noise. Wearing open air isn't that big a deal, you can generally drown out the environment, but you risk listening inadvertently too loudly and that does two things: 1) potentially damages your ears over time which is not a good idea if you enjoy listening to audio for your life time, 2) too loud kills dynamics and muddles most audio. So I pretty much just wear closed back headphones due to that. In general I actually prefer closed headphones even at home because I don't like competing with silencing the sound of the AC, fans, typing, etc.

Very best,

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 103
I wear my V-Moda M80s constantly, mainly because IEMs and earbuds are very uncomfortable. Plus nothing says "Leave me alone!" more to strangers more than a pair of headphones on your head.

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 103
I only own full size headphones so that's what I wear when I'm out and about at college, work, etc. I actually think full sized headphones are a lot more stylish than all of the portable designs and IEMs bother me.

Plus, what joey said. Nobody tries to talk to you then wonders why you haven't answered when you have full sized headphones on. They are the urban hermit's best friend.

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 103
Used to do it for a while with my HD555's.
Also found out that I had the tendency to turn the volume up loouder than I realise to compensate for outside noise.
The 10 foot cable wasn't really helping either.

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 103
I don't like earbuds or IEMs nearly as much from a comfort standpoint. That's why I always go full-sized.

Right now, it's a Panasonic HTF600. If 1SaleADay ever gets their arse in gear with shipping their orders, it might be a Philips CitiScape Uptown instead.

Also, just for the heck of it, I did wear my Stax Lambda in public once, just to see the kind of reactions I'd get. (I obviously couldn't use it portably without one heck of a 'stat amp and some big batteries to keep it juiced.) One guy said they thought they were right out of the Cold War, which isn't off the mark given than it's a 1979 design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back