Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 15, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #331 of 1,938
Yeah, I was cross shopping several $2K models before getting the E3. HE1000se and LCD-3 were on the list. I would love to have a sample from every brand :L3000:. I based my decision on the recent hype train, I believe it paid off. DMS made a good point in a video awhile back, we can get bored with a particular sound signature over time no matter how perfect it is. But, then you get another set of cans and re-listen to all your favorite albums again. This can be done with $500 cans, $2K, or $4k cans. I think $2K is the highest I will ever go, would have to get summit-fi cans used it I ever want to try those.
You made a good choice, I think. I'm with you, I don't think I can go over 2k as well (never say never).

I just sold the LCD-3. It's a good headphone, but for my ears, required EQ, and was a little unwieldly to physically handle. I bought it used, and I think the used price is the appropriate price category for the sound quality it provides.

The HE1000se holds a special place in my heart, so I can't seem to let it go (I can't figure out what I could get that could equal or best it except for the Susvara, which I can't afford). It's super airy and resolving, and has great bass extension (but does not have the impact like the E3).

E3 seems like a great all-arounder while having the benefit of being closed-back, super well made, and easy to handle. I've noticed it likes lots of power. I have been running it on high gain on my Burson 3X GT.

Dec 15, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #333 of 1,938
So after 24 hours burn in, I spent a good deal of time comparing the E3s to other headphones I have, in particular the Aeon Noires. From the initial impressions, I was a bit worried about the 3-4K response and would it be too much. I consider the Noire to be as close to perfect a tuning as I’ve heard. So first, in comparison the Noire, they seem to have a bit more sub-bass, a little less around 100-200 Hz, and a noticeable bit more in the 3-4K range, with maybe less above 12k, but that’s at the limit of my hearing, so someone younger will need to weigh in.

This tuning is more dynamic, for sure. Still in the Harman target vein, but the change that hits you first is the dynamics. It’s cleaner (lower distortion, I imagine), but not in any way that impacts dynamics. I would guess Dan wanted to silence the critics of Stealth and other models complaining about lack of dynamics, because these just deliver. Good job!

So, with the tuning change and the dynamics, what about the listenability, especially with poorly recorded or compressed music? It’s a funny thing, but there are some songs I really love that are terrible productions, but for some reason sound better on the E3 than the Noires and other headphones. Think of the sibilants in Cowboy Junkies’ Sweet Jane. Most headphones make that worse, except the Hedd for one, which sounds like it was tuned just for that song. The Noire reveals all. The E3 also reveals all, but it’s more tolerable while still being faithful. It’s not a “sweet” sounding headphone, but it s very very musical and almost euphonic, in the sense that if you like the music, you will enjoy more on the E3.

It’s technically better than the Noire, as you’d expect for over twice the price. It’s different. - you will pay attention! And for me, it is an upgrade to the Noire, and not in a subtle way. It may not be for everyone, but to get to a more Noire tuning, and maybe a Stealth one too (I only heard one briefly at SoCal CanJam a couple years ago), you can use Mojo2 and eq 3000Hz down -2 and 20kHz up +2-3 - very minor. I mention Mojo2 because it was my daily driver for Noire. E3 had to be able to be powered by Mojo2, and it does just fine. I was on the upper red (0.09 v) with Aeons (mostly modern compressed music) and only 4 clicks more (0.13 v) to orange on E3. With more dynamic, classical music, I was as high up as blue (1.5 v) and the loud passages (organ and drum) were LOUD. I listen usually around 75-80dB and found while it sounded the same or even louder due to the tuning, E3 was coming in at 70-75dB on my phone app meter.

Anyway, TL;DR, it’s a keeper. And in keeping with the audio simplification trend I started earlier this year selling HE-6, now up in the classifieds are HEDD Heddphone 1, Focal ELEX, and Aeon 2 Noire.

Happy New Year!

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #334 of 1,938
I received my E3 on Wednesday morning, and have managed to log about thirty hours of listening time over the past four days. I've driven the E3 with both my Benchmark DAC3 and with my reference system (see signature), spending roughly half the time with each in alternation. In either case, I used my EMM Labs DAC (through the analog input when using the DAC3). At some point, I plan to do a proper review of the E3, comparing it to the Susvara and the AEON 2 Noire, both of which I've owned for quite a while. Until then, here are my preliminary thoughts:

Strengths: Accurate timbre, excellent dynamics, amazing soundstage for a closed back, superb bass, genre-agnostic, communicates the musical message effortlessly
Demerits: Leaks a bit more sound than the average closed back, power hungry (significant performance bump on speaker amp)

TL;DR: Believe the hype, folks. The E3 is a stellar headphone. If, like me, you adore the Susvara and need a closed back headphone (or don't want to spend more than $2k), the E3 should be at the top of your audition list!

Dec 17, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #335 of 1,938
I think the reference to "in front" is that E3 places the soundstage more "dead ahead" like you experience with speakers, not that it's narrow. Nomax also commented on this.

E3's AMTS is designed to subtly change the soundstage so you're looking at the music instead of having it elevated, which IMHO is a more natural presentation. But that said, it is very wide and deep, as well as layered.

This really jumped out to me about the E3. At home I listen to music on 3-way monitors and weirdly enough the E3 presentation reminds me of listening to them a bit. That in addition to how unusually articulate it is for a closed back headphone, and the stellar performance across the whole frequency range.

I traveled with them for the past week and I can't find anything I don't favor about the performance and sonic presentation of the E3. As for isolation, it blocks out more outside noise than the majority of closed back circumaural headphones I've used. Regarding leakage, they are not perfect but you can effectively use it on an airplane without issue. Depending on volume, a person next to you might hear some particularly loud notes but they won't constantly hear music from my experience.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #338 of 1,938
Can someone provide an impression of these vs. the Focal Stellia (including level of sound leakage from the E3 to the outside).

Thanks
it’s been a bit since I had a radiance but but just from memory these do isolate a bit less and leak a bit more, but not by too much. Focal closed backs are just exceptionally good in that regard.

Dec 18, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #339 of 1,938
Dec 18, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #340 of 1,938
amazing soundstage
Demerits: Leaks a bit more sound than the average closed back, power hungry (significant performance bump on speaker amp)

TL;DR: Believe the hype, folks. The E3 is a stellar headphone. If, like me, you adore the Susvara and need a closed back headphone (or don't want to spend more than $2k), the E3 should be at the top of your audition list!

Amazing for the in front of you presentation/soundstage is even an understatement in this case 😉

NOMAX

PS.There is nothing comparable and better in the 200 hz to 15 khz range 👍

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #342 of 1,938
It's really amazing how close the E3 comes to my HE1, there's not much more missing to it anyway
(I just turned on my marble stone for comparison)
I think of one db less, certainly not more on the left side,( where exactly is difficult to determine even to my ears...70hz-150 hz? ) then you have a kind
of closed baby HE1 from the tonal performance (not technical..this is a other story)
Sennheiser wouldn't be able to do any better, especially not in a closed model....and certainly not for 2000 USD🤣 (or 2500 Euros)

NOMAX

PS.When I think back on it,the HD820 was a complete disaster for over 2000 euros🙈
Sorry for my strict words, but it just has to be said 😈

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #344 of 1,938
Currently listening to Sunday At The Village Vanguard by Bill Evans Trio via Qobuz > and upsampled in Roon. It's amazing with the E3. Despite having one of the most resolving headphones in the HE1000se, I never noticed so many background details in the tracks until I listened with the E3. And the bass and drums, incredible weight and timbre. Give it a listen!

Dec 18, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #345 of 1,938
Currently listening to Sunday At The Village Vanguard by Bill Evans Trio via Qobuz > and upsampled in Roon. It's amazing with the E3. Despite having one of the most resolving headphones in the HE1000se, I never noticed so many background details in the tracks until I listened with the E3. And the bass and drums, incredible weight and timbre. Give it a listen!

One of my reference albums actually...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back