Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 14, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #316 of 1,925
s there anyway to figure out in general how many db the 2 are off at a given frequency?
You have to choose the magnitude fior the comparison: same voltage or same power? Besides, as the sensitivity is measured at a certain frequency (usually 1 kHz), the difference is only valid for this specific frequency. According to the ASR sensitivity figures you provide, the Noire gives 3.2 dB more than the E3 at the same voltage.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #317 of 1,925
You have to choose the magnitude fior the comparison: same voltage or same power? Besides, as the sensitivity is measured at a certain frequency, the difference is only valid for this specific frequency. According to the ASR sensitivity figures you provide, the Noire gives 3.2 dB more than the E3 at the same voltage.
IMO this is where just measuring average SPL is probably not sufficient, as the noire didn’t really scale much beyond a certain power level in dynamics but E3 definitely does. I’d personally budget for quite a bit more power for E3 than for noire

Dec 14, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #318 of 1,925
IMO this is where just measuring average SPL is probably not sufficient, as the noire didn’t really scale much beyond a certain power level in dynamics but E3 definitely does. I’d personally budget for quite a bit more power for E3 than for noire
My calculations are valid assuming that both headphones have a linear transfer function between voltage (or power) and sound pressure. It would be interesting to know the limits beyond which both headphones no longer meet this assumption.

Dec 14, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #321 of 1,925
@mrspeakers or anyone who would know the answer. Given the sensitivity of the Noire and the E3 is there anyway to figure out in general how many db the 2 are off at a given frequency?
I get that there is a lot to consider but I'm just trying to get and Idea. I see ASR has the Noire at 353mv to get them to 94db and the E3 at 512mv for the same db. Anyway to tell from that?
~2-3db

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 14, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #322 of 1,925
All the preaching doesn't help...people just have to learn to compare one model with the other side by side😎...only then will they realize the true differences 😉

Nomax

PS.And if I'm not 100% sure, I go somewhere where I can get certainty with my ears 🙈

IMG_9133.jpeg
While this is obviously true, not everyone has access to places depicted in your photo and therefore unfortunately have to contend with other peoples opinion on the matter.

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #323 of 1,925
Yes, I understand......but I also always take a long journey once a month to get there
We in Austria don't have very many well-stocked stores either

NOMAX

Dec 15, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #324 of 1,925
And quite honestly....tonally you don't need to worry about the E3....there are no other options for the closed models...DCA is the leader here 👍
(It seems much more important to find sufficient amplifiers for yourself personally and for his headphones)

NOMAX

PS.The topic of clamping force should no longer be an issue at E3 for most people this time

Dec 15, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #325 of 1,925
Wonder how these sound against the Stellia.

Dec 15, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #326 of 1,925
Wonder how these sound against the Stellia.

The problem of the Stellia as well as the Radiance...woom woom at the highest level 😎
(The Focal Elegia but only with the celestee pads is not bad for this little price or Bathys👍)

IMG_9355.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.And this interferes the rest of the performance and is more than distracting😝
The same applies also to the HD820😝

My personal conclusion
❗️Bass/low end and fun yes.....but the whole thing should be in harmony with the rest of the performance....tonally as well as technically❗

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #327 of 1,925
The problem of the Stellia as well as the Radiance...woom woom at the highest level 😎
(The Focal Elegia but only with the celestee pads is not bad for this little price or Bathys👍)

IMG_9355.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.And this interferes the rest of the performance and is more than distracting😝
The same applies also to the HD820😝

My personal conclusion
❗️Bass/low end and fun yes.....but the whole thing should be in harmony with the rest of the performance....tonally as well as technically❗
Had any decent time with Kennerton Rognir to compare ?

Bit of a closed-back planar fan, love that density that comes with the enclosure....but tends to skew some aspect of FR badly with older CB's...

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #328 of 1,925
I am enjoying my E3's the longer I own them, there is no denying the quality and clarity of the sound. As Nomax stated, comparing back to back shows you what these headphones deliver. They cover all frequencies from top to bottom with balance, the vocals are good, sub bass is good, high end is there, and most important they do have dynamics. Snare drums have impact, guitar solo's can soar, strings sound plucked, bass drum and bass guitar are clearly defined. I was not initially wow'd by the E3 because I had been listening to my Audeze LCD-2C for several months, and fell in love with the rich, lush sound (which I still like). However, there is a trade off to rich and lush, it does tend to be a one trick pony. Back to back against the E3 on some track it seems far behind for details and impact. Finally, the distortion is very low, and easy on the ears, sounds good at low volume, but even better if you crank them up a bit.

In the end, you might ask yourself is this headphone worth $2K? Are you enjoying the sonic experience, does it transport you, give you emotion, connecting with the song? I would have to say yes to all of the above, I am happy with the headphones. As far as $2k price tag, well I suppose you could compare them to the experience you might get from $2K speakers, sonically (details) they are better than a set of $2K speakers (e.g. my KEF R3's in a poorly treated room). I just think a lot of people view $2K for headphones is crazy, I being one of them, but that is the price of admission. I know a lot of work went into developing and building these headphones, so the cost represents that.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #329 of 1,925
I am enjoying my E3's the longer I own them, there is no denying the quality and clarity of the sound. As Nomax stated, comparing back to back shows you what these headphones deliver. They cover all frequencies from top to bottom with balance, the vocals are good, sub bass is good, high end is there, and most important they do have dynamics. Snare drums have impact, guitar solo's can soar, strings sound plucked, bass drum and bass guitar are clearly defined. I was not initially wow'd by the E3 because I had been listening to my Audeze LCD-2C for several months, and fell in love with the rich, lush sound (which I still like). However, there is a trade off to rich and lush, it does tend to be a one trick pony. Back to back against the E3 on some track it seems far behind for details and impact.

In the end, you might ask yourself is this headphone worth $2K? Are you enjoying the sonic experience, does it transport you, give you emotion, connecting with the song? I would have to say yes to all of the above, I am happy with the headphones. As far as $2k price tag, well I suppose you could compare them to the experience you might get from $2K speakers, sonically (details) they are better than a set of $2K speakers (e.g. my KEF R3's in a poorly treated room). I just think a lot of people view $2K for headphones is crazy, I being one of them, but that is the price of admission. I know a lot of work went into developing and building these headphones, so the cost represents that.
I'm pretty happy with the E3, too. It's only been a few days, but there's a lot to like, as you mentioned. I agree with your assessment. My other headphone is the HE1000se, which I love; it's my favorite headphone. The E3 is a great complement to it. Both share qualities in being detailed and balanced. The E3 has better impact, the HE1000se has better treble detail.

I love the fact that the E3 is closed-back while sounding open. That's a huge win for me. It's not as open as a true open-back, but it's the best closed-back I've heard. All my previous "best" closed-backs have been from DCA, with the last one being the Aeon 2 Noire (never heard the Stealth). The E3 takes it up a notch or two for sure.

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #330 of 1,925
I'm pretty happy with the E3, too. It's only been a few days, but there's a lot to like, as you mentioned. I agree with your assessment. My other headphone is the HE1000se, which I love; it's my favorite headphone. The E3 is a great complement to it. Both share qualities in being detailed and balanced. The E3 has better impact, the HE1000se has better treble detail.

I love the fact that the E3 is closed-back while sounding open. That's a huge win for me. It's not as open as a true open-back, but it's the best closed-back I've heard. All my previous "best" closed-backs have been from DCA, with the last one being the Aeon 2 Noire (never heard the Stealth). The E3 takes it up a notch or two for sure.
Yeah, I was cross shopping several $2K models before getting the E3. HE1000se and LCD-3 were on the list. I would love to have a sample from every brand :L3000:. I based my decision on the recent hype train, I believe it paid off. DMS made a good point in a video awhile back, we can get bored with a particular sound signature over time no matter how perfect it is. But, then you get another set of cans and re-listen to all your favorite albums again. This can be done with $500 cans, $2K, or $4k cans. I think $2K is the highest I will ever go, would have to get summit-fi cans used it I ever want to try those.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back