Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 1, 2023 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,874

The E3 is the latest headphone from Dan Clark Audio, and, though it's half the price of their actual flagship models, that just makes this very open-sounding closed-back headphone their most cost-effective flagship-class headphone to date.

I visited Dan Clark Audio's headquarters in San Diego recently, and sat down with Dan to talk about the new E3. I also give my subjective impressions, show you some measurements (including comparative measurements), and more,

The measurements in this video were conducted at the Head-Fi HQ measurement lab using:

produced by Brian Murphy, Ethan Opolion, and Jude Mansilla

Dec 1, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 1,874
Hi all!

Really excited about this launch, we put our all into it.

I'm happy to answer any questions, and for information that will be of interest to lots of people I'll update this post as well as replying inline...

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 1, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 1,874
😎

IMG_9215.jpeg

IMG_9223.jpeg

IMG_9227.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.lol

Dec 1, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 1,874
We got to check out the E3 in Socal for the first time and knew it was something pretty special! Stoked that it's finally out there in the world!

We also have them in stock and ready to ship right now at Headphones.com

https://headphones.com/products/dan-clark-audio-e3-headphones

DMS has also had a pair for a couple of weeks, check out his thoughts below!

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Dec 1, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 1,874
I was lucky enough to get a pair early to evaluate. The somewhat unique tuning has great instrument timbre, making for a "lively" sound.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 1,874
My first impressions.....

There is nothing to criticize about the highs/mids 👍
The higher contact pressure/clamping force should also benefit many now
❗️No matter what you are told by others, the E3 is not easy to drive❗
The M17 from FiiO is the only one of the mobile players that has enough power...even the new Kann Ultra from Astell&Kern doesn't make it by far
As always, Dan Clark has succeeded in creating a kind of soundstage that takes place in front of you, which is still a phenomenon even for me
The illumination of the room can be described as sufficient, even for me
It is also positive that the bass/low end now appear more compact and hit harder in comprison to the stealth 👍
For the price I think the E3 will get a big fan base

The question of all questions - what bothers me personally?😎
More on this later

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 1,874
Would be great to know how E3 compares to Stealth, one of my favorite headphones.
Here's some comparison measurements from DMS' 4128 rig

Compensated
1701464454412.png

Both headphones have positional variation and your HRTF will vary so it's not an exact representation on the sound differences but it gives a good understanding.

For me, when I heard them in September the word that kept coming to my mind was "lively". It's a fun step up from the Noire and it's great to see Dan continuing to innovate!

Last edited:
headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Dec 1, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #13 of 1,874
We got to check out the E3 in Socal for the first time and knew it was something pretty special! Stoked that it's finally out there in the world!

We also have them in stock and ready to ship right now at Headphones.com

https://headphones.com/products/dan-clark-audio-e3-headphones

DMS has also had a pair for a couple of weeks, check out his thoughts below!

Oh man, this hobby keeps getting better and "cheaper". The bar keeps getting raised and prices are dropping. First HiFiMan drops the HEK-SE down to $2000 now this. And this is the important thing...It's an American Company.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #14 of 1,874
@mrspeakers
Does E3 share the same ear pads as stealth/expanse?
I'm not dan, but from what i've seen on Currawong's video on the e3, they're almost the same with the difference being perforation, and synthetic leather on the inside of the pad itself.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #15 of 1,874
For me, when I heard them in September the word that kept coming to my mind was "lively". It's a fun step up from the Noire and it's great to see Dan continuing to innovate!

That's good to hear, because the word I'd use to describe the sound of the Stealth and Expanse is "lifeless". Even though their FR looks quite good on paper, their SQ does absolutely nothing for me. :sleeping:

So it looks like Dan may have taken some of that criticism/feedback to heart, and the E3 is his response. To which I say....

giphy26.gif

And the E3 costing half of what the Stealth/Expanse cost is also a HUGE step in the right direction!!
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back