Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 13, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #302 of 1,925
I’m in good company as my set came in today also, and did a few short minutes of listening, and will do a more detailed comparison against the Noire and Heddphone One. But I can say, while worried about the potentially hotter treble region, a quick listen to Cowboy Junkies Sweet Jane did not present as unlistenable, and they do initially present as more “dynamic” than the Noires. My goal is to determine if they are the Noire upgrade path, since I only heard Stealth at a show and can’t speak to them. Burning in now for 24 hours or so, whether it needs it or not.

Dec 13, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #303 of 1,925
He also said the sound stage was in front implying no width, he then posted here it has a larger stage compared to the Meze Iric which most reviews pointed to a decent stage.
I can see how that can be confusing. Some headphones have the mid-range pulled back to give more a feeling of a larger soundstage, but they don't actually have it. I'd say the E3 is pretty accurate to the soundstage. If it's wide, it's wide; if it's narrow, it's narrow. So, like I described in the review, there's less of a feeling of listening to the way the headphones impose a sound over music, and more a sense of hearing what's in the music.

One of the interesting consequences I observed with closed-backed planars, starting with the original Audeze LCD-XC, then the Ether Closed, was that it drops the mid-bass somewhat, which, as Dan mentioned, ends up with a sound more like speakers. Later on, the Harman research came along, and put forward an average FR curve that is similar to what you get with closed-backed planars.

Dec 14, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #304 of 1,925
I can see how that can be confusing. Some headphones have the mid-range pulled back to give more a feeling of a larger soundstage, but they don't actually have it. I'd say the E3 is pretty accurate to the soundstage. If it's wide, it's wide; if it's narrow, it's narrow. So, like I described in the review, there's less of a feeling of listening to the way the headphones impose a sound over music, and more a sense of hearing what's in the music.

One of the interesting consequences I observed with closed-backed planars, starting with the original Audeze LCD-XC, then the Ether Closed, was that it drops the mid-bass somewhat, which, as Dan mentioned, ends up with a sound more like speakers. Later on, the Harman research came along, and put forward an average FR curve that is similar to what you get with closed-backed planars.

All the preaching doesn't help...people just have to learn to compare one model with the other side by side😎...only then will they realize the true differences 😉

Nomax

PS.And if I'm not 100% sure, I go somewhere where I can get certainty with my ears 🙈

IMG_9133.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #305 of 1,925
Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #306 of 1,925
Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #308 of 1,925
I really do feel that 4k peak is calming down with some burn in
That would be typical. I used to read that planars didn't need burn in, but that isn't true. There is cable, wiring, the drivers and electrolytic capacitance to deal with.

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #309 of 1,925
Had an interesting afternoon today that included some fiddling with quite tiny screws together with @Nomax ...
IMG_2594.jpegIMG_2595.jpegIMG_2596.jpeg
That operation transplanted the Stealth frame mounted on his E3 to my E3. Now I can enjoy a bit less clamping force, making my E3 even more comfortable to me.

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #310 of 1,925
My only comfort complaint is I wish the headband had just a smidge more range. I have a huge head and I basically max it out. I had a bit easier of a time getting aeon and ether to fit because I could just set it to where the metal rods almost touched the leather but didn’t. With this system I have to carefully place it to get the same effect, and then sometimes readjust if it starts to touch

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #311 of 1,925
@mrspeakers or anyone who would know the answer. Given the sensitivity of the Noire and the E3 is there anyway to figure out in general how many db the 2 are off at a given frequency?
I get that there is a lot to consider but I'm just trying to get and Idea. I see ASR has the Noire at 353mv to get them to 94db and the E3 at 512mv for the same db. Anyway to tell from that?

Dec 14, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #312 of 1,925
Had an interesting afternoon today that included some fiddling with quite tiny screws together with @Nomax ...

That operation transplanted the Stealth frame mounted on his E3 to my E3. Now I can enjoy a bit less clamping force, making my E3 even more comfortable to me.

Yes, my runway is becoming more and more visible🙈, 25 years of wearing headphones every day have left their mark on me too 🤪

NOMAX

Dec 14, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #313 of 1,925
I'm not sure where to post this, first I want to say that I love DCA/@mrspeakers 'phones. I bought a set of the original Aeons right at launch after hearing them at a Canjam and they're my all-time favorites. But lately I had an issue with those same Aeons and sent them off for repair (the right side basically went dead), and after evaluation by a tech I was sent a quote and then an invoice for the repair for $175. I thought that was reasonable (money is tight during the holidays but I had an extra $200) so I immediately paid it. However, a couple days later I was contacted again, with the CS lady telling me that my Aeons now can't be repaired and must be upgraded to "re-tuned Aeon RTs" for a total of $300. Personally, I do think a company should stick by their quote, especially after the customer has paid an invoice. Or am I wrong?

I'm not angry, just disappointed, and I'm not trying to be a jerk or cause problems for anyone, I'm just broke now and want my cans fixed. 😕🤔

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #314 of 1,925
@Phones4Life

I think that there will certainly be a solution that is acceptable to both sides 👍

NOMAX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back