Dan Clark Audio E3 Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Dec 19, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #361 of 2,030
When purchasing an E3 headphone is the VIVO cable selection the same as the “VIVO Super-Premium Headphone Cable” that DCA sells separately in accessories?

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #362 of 2,030
When purchasing an E3 headphone is the VIVO cable selection the same as the “VIVO Super-Premium Headphone Cable” that DCA sells separately in accessories?

Yes its the same 👍

NOMAX

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #363 of 2,030
Not at half the price but at half the value — that’s quite a bit less :wink:
You're right anyway!
What many people here forget is that electronic devices are similar to cars - they lose value as soon as they leave the store.
And anyone who seriously believes that an Orpheus bought at the time and never used for any length of time would still be worth the price at the time is very much mistaken!
An extensive overhaul is required to put it back into operation properly. Electrolytic capacitors have aged quite a bit after such a long time and should be replaced. Everything checked and measured. And, importantly, the foil diaphragm should also be overhauled.

Headphones cannot be equated with old wine, whiskey, old watches, etc.!

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #364 of 2,030
It tastes excellent....yes, there is nothing better than handmade Mozartkugeln from Austria 😉👍
(The last one should be finished around midday 🙈)

IMG_9394.jpeg

Dan knows exactly what I like and what I don't like 🤪

NOMAX

PS.lol
Good sound + good Scotch whiskey + good chocolate = great night

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 19, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #367 of 2,030
While I don't understand and definitely don'T share the love for ZMF, I think they start falling into the Hifiman trap: too many similar new models in too quick succession, devaluing older models... I don't see that trend to that extent with DCA so far, and for sure hope this won't change.

Dec 19, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #368 of 2,030
This really jumped out to me about the E3. At home I listen to music on 3-way monitors and weirdly enough the E3 presentation reminds me of listening to them a bit. That in addition to how unusually articulate it is for a closed back headphone, and the stellar performance across the whole frequency range.

I traveled with them for the past week and I can't find anything I don't favor about the performance and sonic presentation of the E3. As for isolation, it blocks out more outside noise than the majority of closed back circumaural headphones I've used. Regarding leakage, they are not perfect but you can effectively use it on an airplane without issue. Depending on volume, a person next to you might hear some particularly loud notes but they won't constantly hear music from my experience.
That would be great, I own HE1000 Stealth too, looking forward to your findings, thanks!

Thanks, would you say the sonic profile is similar to Susvara’s? That’s one of the things I appreciate the most from Susvara.

Dec 19, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #369 of 2,030
While I don't understand and definitely don'T share the love for ZMF, I think they start falling into the Hifiman trap: too many similar new models in too quick succession, devaluing older models... I don't see that trend to that extent with DCA so far, and for sure hope this won't change.
We typically don't release new products without significant ergonomic, technical or tuning changes.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 19, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #370 of 2,030
This is really interesting. I bought HE1000 Stealth and in my opinion it's a neutral and for the day's price at least a great pair of headphones. I've never even heard Susvara, but have read a lot of about it. I personally don't like the amplifier requirements of Susvara for it's "full potential".
I think that with my amps e.g Cayin Ha-3a or Aune S17pro the He1000stealth sounds quite alike Susvara (without that extra potential anyhow).
Now I'm thinking about these same thoughts about DCA E3 and it's power requirements. It would be really illuminating to hear experiences with this, DCA E3 amp pairings.

Dec 19, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #371 of 2,030
We typically don't release new products without significant ergonomic, technical or tuning changes.
Just as it should be. And models like Stealth or E3 are definitely a huge step forward and well worth a release.

Dec 19, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #372 of 2,030
This is really interesting. I bought HE1000 Stealth and in my opinion it's a neutral and for the day's price at least a great pair of headphones. I've never even heard Susvara, but have read a lot of about it. I personally don't like the amplifier requirements of Susvara for it's "full potential".
I think that with my amps e.g Cayin Ha-3a or Aune S17pro the He1000stealth sounds quite alike Susvara (without that extra potential anyhow).
Now I'm thinking about these same thoughts about DCA E3 and it's power requirements. It would be really illuminating to hear experiences with this, DCA E3 amp pairings.

The Mojo 2 can power the E3 just fine so it doesn't need copious amounts of power. The Aune S17pro has far more power than the Mojo 2 even in single ended mode, so you shouldn't have any problems with power.

Side note but I also ordered an XLR VIVO cable just to see how the E3 sounds on a Bricasti M1 SE + HeadAmp GS-X Mini vs the Mojo 2.

Dec 19, 2023 at 3:31 PM Post #373 of 2,030
The Mojo 2 can power the E3 just fine so it doesn't need copious amounts of power. The Aune S17pro has far more power than the Mojo 2 even in single ended mode, so you shouldn't have any problems with power.

Side note but I also ordered an XLR VIVO cable just to see how the E3 sounds on a Bricasti M1 SE + HeadAmp GS-X Mini vs the Mojo 2.

This is valuable info. So DCA E3's hard to drive is relative, at least compared to Susvara. DAP's might be a different case as some HeadFiers have already commented in this thread.
About the Hifiman's trap and ZMF models I guess Hifiman's price drops are caused, at least partly, with oversizing the catalog with all too many too similar sounding models in too short time. About ZMF's new models I can't find these aspects. They seem to be merely carefully thought, who knows, to represent different aspects of the so called ZMF sound.

Dec 19, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #374 of 2,030
So, I really like the sound as is without any EQ. But I think it could use some more air. The sub and mid bass are epic and mids are just right without being too forward like the new Audezes or recessed like the Hifimans. It’s just missing the air for me like the Hifimans. However, my biggest gripe is that the headband is very stiff and causing a noticeable pain spot on my head and I also started feeling some neck stiffness as well. Has anyone else noticed this? Will this headband soften? It doesn’t seem like a softening leather.

Dec 19, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #375 of 2,030
Tough choice between an E3 and a used Stealth these days! Excellent quality stealths going for $2200-$2300 now on Head-Fi which is the same price, if not cheaper, than a brand new E3 (after taxes). E3 def seems like it's bringing down Stealth prices on the used market, making the choice even more difficult!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back