Cowon Plenue D
Feb 24, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #1,486 of 4,949
Since I wasn't able to buy that *** leather case in Japan (sold out everywhere!), I finally found it on Ebay for a decent price (36 euros / US$ 38) from Korea. It'll probably take a good 2 weeks to get here so I gotta be careful with my Plenue D until then.

I find it quite expensive for a case but since it's the only one available...
I use it 4 days a week and no case. I just keep it in my pocket.

Feb 24, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #1,487 of 4,949
I use it 4 days a week and no case. I just keep it in my pocket.

Well, I don't like using my tech gear without cases so...

I did buy a pouch in Japan, it's made for the AK 120 but fits the Plenue D well (it's taller but that's not a problem!). I also got a screen protector, not the official one but one made in Japan. Easy to apply and cheaper, it's matte (no glare!) and seems really good.

The pouch is this one:

I also tried the UCI posted on Cowon's website, it's really nice but I agree that the font is too small. I hope someone finds a way to adjust it!

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #1,488 of 4,949
The player is so small, you might be able to fit it inside old IEM cases too!

Here is mine in a case that came with my Monster Turbines:

Also fits in the pouch that came with my Vsonic IEMs, but it isn't as protective :p

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #1,489 of 4,949
Right. It seems others were concerned about battery life too as I saw a few of us posted some results. I have too, while testing with the same 320kbps mp3 files on the same volume I usually listen to (14) on my IEM.

With music on external microSD: 57:01:08
With music on internal memory: 56:24:42

Not sure how the claimed 100hrs for mp3 playtime can be achieved though.
confused_face_2.gif

I'm going to note the actual playtime in the future, because I think that the sleep mode is not as effective as they say. (I think about 30-40% of my battery life is being eaten when in sleep.)

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #1,490 of 4,949
Sleep mode definitely eats battery way too fast.  I did not use my DAP for about 3 days and noticed that I lost nearly 1/2 of my battery life, not even using it!  I've turned it off for now.  Annoying as well, since I hate having to do the database update every time I turn the thing on.

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #1,491 of 4,949
Agree with Marlin. I initially had sleep on but thought it would eat through the battery. 

The database update is pretty annoying so I only try to turn the PD off when I wont be using it for the rest of the day.

It has been over a week of daily use for me and my battery is more than half full so I am happy

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #1,493 of 4,949
I've had this wee player for a couple of weeks now, and I'm loving it. I had the AK Jr previously, and absolutely loved the sound of it, but the UI was so frustrating - far too slow - and I thought the battery life was shocking. Why is 10 hours battery life considered acceptable all of a sudden? If Cowon can get 50 hours plus, why is 10 hours thought to be fine?

Because it's not like this Plenue D is lacking elsewhere! I'll admit when I first started listening to it, I didn't think it sounded as good as the Jr, which was the the most impressive sounding player I'd heard. But having used it for a couple of weeks, I just love this thing. It is a warmer sound, but the detail is all there (that makes it sound like I think the warm sound is a bad thing - it's not. It's just different), and the soundstage can be just as wide if you want it to be. I love the EQ. I've been playing with it loads, and my Oppo PM-3's are sounding amazing. Just as amazing as they did with the Jr, if not more so. 

For half the price of the Jr, you also get a much slicker UI. Anyone complaining of lag on the Plenue D obviously has not used the AK Jr. Everything took ages!!! This feels like an ipod by comparison - so quick and easy to use.

This is everything I thought the AK Jr would be and more, for half the price. Love it.

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #1,494 of 4,949
  Sleep mode definitely eats battery way too fast.  I did not use my DAP for about 3 days and noticed that I lost nearly 1/2 of my battery life, not even using it!  I've turned it off for now.  Annoying as well, since I hate having to do the database update every time I turn the thing on.

Agree with Marlin. I initially had sleep on but thought it would eat through the battery. 

The database update is pretty annoying so I only try to turn the PD off when I wont be using it for the rest of the day.

It has been over a week of daily use for me and my battery is more than half full so I am happy

Can't you change the Database update to be MANUAL instead of AUTOMATIC?!?!!
I'm pretty sure my old Cowon's let me do that!

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #1,495 of 4,949
Unfortunately you can't turn it to MANUAL. Even worse, I had the issue that despite the automatic update some cover pictures were not updated. It was necessary to start an manual update of the database via the settings menu. Maybe the automatic database scan can be deselected by an upcoming F/W update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back