Cowon Plenue D
Feb 3, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #1,096 of 4,949
  I just updated the firmware to V1.10. It's great it solves the track no. problem for m4a file. However, I still got some problems about the tag recognition.

1. it can not recognize the disc no. for m4a files. PD only sort the songs by track no., not by disc no. first then track no.

2. for some files, the album name can not be shown correctly. All these songs can be recognized correctly by PC and my phone player.

3. everytime when I tap from library view to playing view, there will be a small pause in the playing sound.

I really like this little player! hope they can fix these tiny problems by next update. 
smile.gif

It seem to solve all my track number issue that I can see. The UI is super fast and responsive now. Previously its a step back compared to the AK100, now its faster then the ak100. Great improvement on the first upgrade firmware. 

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #1,097 of 4,949
V1.10 is on the global site as well:-

http://cowonglobal.com/

Under the new features it states:-

- Correct the error breaking a Favorite information(Need to delete "TCSYSDIR" folder in the product after a firmware upgrade)
Does that mean we have to delete the "TCSYSDIR" folder or that the new firmware has corrected the need to delete it ?
confused.gif

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #1,099 of 4,949
  here my few days experience with this dap with the sony xba z5 and sometimes I add the headstage arrow 5tx to the mix. I am retracting some of my earilier findings but I still love this tiny dap for what it can deliver, so the below is after critical listening 

for price its simply amazing and I use it on the go

eq wise I use bbe headphones 3, bb viva 2, are the most i use however i feel the vocals are bit recessed and there is a bit upper frequencies annoyences that i think needs to be tamed down abit, around 4-6 k, and have the vocals to have more weight and body as I feel the vocals gets lost in the bass and the upper frequencies can be sometimes a bit too much. The bass is great but can get boomy and out of control

Fine tuning using user presets eq is a bit not getting me there where i want it maybe I am not able to fine tune and find user presets sweet spot

now the above finding are with the sony xba z5 so other iems will give a different impression

i am using it on the go and that is my on the go setup, while at home i use the ak380+amp and shure 846 which is better than the cowon by a margin in terms of sound quality, but price wise its too expensive. the ak380 + amp beats the cowon d in sound signature, and enjoyability, even without eq but that is not fair at all to compare both

so do not get upset from the above as I hope cowon can fine tune the sound a bit by firmware upgrades, although I do not think this will happen, but overall great amazing dap for its price

My advice, stay away from the Presets.

As a long time Cowon user, I wasted too many months relying on the presets to give me a sound signature I thought was good but not perfect. Better can be had through own creation. The presets are only good as examples of what can be achieved, not necessarily what should be used. It's a demonstration of the vast degree of change that is possible on the array of DSPs.
Cowon are not going to fine tune the sound as there is really nothing to fine tune, it is down to you as the user to find that sweet spot, and it's going to change for everyone as everyone's combination of Song/Album/Genre + Volume + IEM Combination is always going t be different.
You have 4 user presets for a reason, use them for different IEMs/Headphones or for different Genres.

Too much BBE (and most likely in combination with Mach3Bass and perhaps EQ'd bass) will result in that 'boomy' bass sound. It doesn't need to be there, with enough patience you can remove it and get a sweet sounding bass response.

In the beginning I tried to find what the actual settings were for some of the presets (such as Headphone 1), as I felt it was close to something I liked, if only I could fine tune it and tinker some more, but alas the values all the presets use seem to be a complete mystery to the public.
Jet Effect & BBE are arguably the greatest DSPs given on any DAP to date, the variety in sound signatures available to the user far surpasses any other DAP (believe it or not), where most users are left unimpressed is when they give up too early. You need to block out a few hours on a sunday arvo and tinker around, there's no way around it, but when you do you will be very happy indeed.

On other forums I shared some of my (Jet Effect/BBE) settings, some users were blown out of the water by what they were hearing (I kid u not, saying things like "are u ********* kidding me?! You mean to say I have been stuck on Headphone 1 all these months when I could have been hearing my music like this?!!", others on the other hand were like "... meh" lol. So it really does depend on the user.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #1,100 of 4,949

As a long time Cowon user, I wasted too many months relying on the presets to give me a sound signature I thought was good but not perfect. Better can be had through own creation. The presets are only good as examples of what can be achieved, not necessarily what should be used. It's a demonstration of the vast degree of change that is possible on the array of DSPs.
Cowon are not going to fine tune the sound as there is really nothing to fine tune, it is down to you as the user to find that sweet spot, and it's going to change for everyone as everyone's combination of Song/Album/Genre + Volume + IEM Combination is always going t be different.
You have 4 user presets for a reason, use them for different IEMs/Headphones or for different Genres.

Too much BBE (and most likely in combination with Mach3Bass and perhaps EQ'd bass) will result in that 'boomy' bass sound. It doesn't need to be there, with enough patience you can remove it and get a sweet sounding bass response.

In the beginning I tried to find what the actual settings were for some of the presets (such as Headphone 1), as I felt it was close to something I liked, if only I could fine tune it and tinker some more, but alas the values all the presets use seem to be a complete mystery to the public.
Jet Effect & BBE are arguably the greatest DSPs given on any DAP to date, the variety in sound signatures available to the user far surpasses any other DAP (believe it or not), where most users are left unimpressed is when they give up too early. You need to block out a few hours on a sunday arvo and tinker around, there's no way around it, but when you do you will be very happy indeed.

On other forums I shared some of my (Jet Effect/BBE) settings, some users were blown out of the water by what they were hearing (I kid u not, saying things like "are u ********* kidding me?! You mean to say I have been stuck on Headphone 1 all these months when I could have been hearing my music like this?!!", others on the other hand were like "... meh" lol. So it really does depend on the user.

can you please share then some of your own user presets please

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #1,101 of 4,949

can you please share then some of your own user presets please

Sure man, I'd be happy to. Mind you, I don't own your IEMs, nor likely enjoy the same genres/artists, so again I emphasis that these settings I share may make one user ecstatic and another left very underwhelmed. If my settings are guilty of anything it's prolly that they are too 'artificial' sounding. Some of the best Jet Effect/BBE settings are actually just subtle tweaks here or there, that maybe what is required for you. I have been known to be a BBE Junkie in the past and old habits die hard!

Here's a starting point anyway;

EQ Settings
7 80 wide
-1 220 normal
5 1.4 narrow
5 3.0 normal
6 11.7 wide

bbe 10
mach3 off
3d surround 3
mp enhance on
stereo enhance 3
reverb off

I have often whacked the mach3 bass up a bit for those tracks that call for it. I've also used this combo tho this is more for the bass head :D

EQ Settings
7 80 wide
-1 220 normal
5 1.4 narrow
6 3.0 normal
7 11.7 wide

bbe 10
mach3 8
3d 2
mp enhance on
steroe enhance 3
reverb off

These days tho I have went in a different direction. I use a differed DAP (Hidizs AP100) and use Flat mostly with the occasional subtle EQ lift. Neither imo is right or wrong, just different. I recall very much enjoying the aforementioned settings, if nothing else it was fun listening at the time :)

I have discussed Jet Effect/BBE settings at great lengths with many other users, some of which own the same IEMs as me, subtle tweaks can often be the way to go. Sit down, take your time and discover the signature that suits you best.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #1,102 of 4,949

Sure man, I'd be happy to. Mind you, I don't own your IEMs, nor likely enjoy the same genres/artists, so again I emphasis that these settings I share may make one user ecstatic and another left very underwhelmed. If my settings are guilty of anything it's prolly that they are too 'artificial' sounding. Some of the best Jet Effect/BBE settings are actually just subtle tweaks here or there, that maybe what is required for you. I have been known to be a BBE Junkie in the past and old habits die hard!

Here's a starting point anyway;

EQ Settings
7 80 wide
-1 220 normal
5 1.4 narrow
5 3.0 normal
6 11.7 wide

bbe 10
mach3 off
3d surround 3
mp enhance on
stereo enhance 3
reverb off

I have often whacked the mach3 bass up a bit for those tracks that call for it. I've also used this combo tho this is more for the bass head :D

EQ Settings
7 80 wide
-1 220 normal
5 1.4 narrow
6 3.0 normal
7 11.7 wide

bbe 10
mach3 8
3d 2
mp enhance on
steroe enhance 3
reverb off

These days tho I have went in a different direction. I use a differed DAP (Hidizs AP100) and use Flat mostly with the occasional subtle EQ lift. Neither imo is right or wrong, just different. I recall very much enjoying the aforementioned settings, if nothing else it was fun listening at the time :)

I have discussed Jet Effect/BBE settings at great lengths with many other users, some of which own the same IEMs as me, subtle tweaks can often be the way to go. Sit down, take your time and discover the signature that suits you best.

thanks i will try these and report back but in cowon d we do not have stereo enhance

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #1,104 of 4,949

That's curious. I'm quoting settings from Jet Effect/BBE from the i9+ and C2, which are earlier versions of Stereo Enhance O.o

it seems they removed it from jeteffect5

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #1,106 of 4,949
@BruceBanner

Totally agree, it's the custom EQ that brings the most out of it, even though presets are good.

I currently use (and been using since C2) the following:

80 wide 8
220 wide 4
1.1 wide 4
2.4 wide 4
11.7 wide 7

BBE 9
M3Bass 8
3D sur 4
MP on

Reverb off.

I like a U shape sound really. That EQ works great for my IEMs but awful for car or systems (too much EQ for the volume needed to drive at line out voltage).

Isn't the stereo enhance now 3D surround? Kinda adds a Binural element to it. I find this setting best either off or 3 or 4. Anything more is too much for me.

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #1,107 of 4,949
  it seems they removed it from jeteffect5

indeed,
i couldnt find stereo enchance on PD while its there on j3

Wow... that is actually pretty rubbish. They give more presets in later versions but then take away actually valuable DSP tools? What's that all about... :S

Totally agree, it's the custom EQ that brings the most out of it, even though presets are good.

I currently use (and been using since C2) the following:

80 wide 8
220 wide 4
1.1 wide 4
2.4 wide 4
11.7 wide 7

BBE 9
M3Bass 8
3D sur 4
MP on

Reverb off.

I like a U shape sound really. That EQ works great for my IEMs but awful for car or systems (too much EQ for the volume needed to drive at line out voltage).

Isn't the stereo enhance now 3D surround? Kinda adds a Binural element to it. I find this setting best either off or 3 or 4. Anything more is too much for me.

Yeh mine are quite U shaped also. And totally agree re: double amping or car stereos, what sounds good in IEM can sound rubbish through different systems.

Nah Stereo Enhance is in fact different and separate to 3d Surround.

Anyone got a M2, can they confirm whether or not Stereo Enhance is there in the settings?

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #1,108 of 4,949

Wow... that is actually pretty rubbish. They give more presets in later versions but then take away actually valuable DSP tools? What's that all about... :S

Yeh mine are quite U shaped also. And totally agree re: double amping or car stereos, what sounds good in IEM can sound rubbish through different systems.

Nah Stereo Enhance is in fact different and separate to 3d Surround.

Anyone got a M2, can they confirm whether or not Stereo Enhance is there in the settings?

on the other hand cowon gave much more preset for reverb...

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #1,109 of 4,949

I recently purchased a Lotoo PAW 5000 and it has a 5 band Parametric Eq which helps to alter the sound to your liking, similar to Cowon. Lotoo also has it's own DSP setting called ATE which I dont like.  Plus it has a dedicated EQ button.

And thanks for sharing your BBE settings. I will definitely try it on my C2 and Z2.

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #1,110 of 4,949

I recently purchased a Lotoo PAW 5000 and it has a 5 band Parametric Eq which helps to alter the sound to your liking, similar to Cowon. Lotoo also has it's own DSP setting called ATE which I dont like.  Also it has a dedicated EQ button.

Oh that is interesting to know!

Here's what you might be able to do with a Cowon (PD) if dedicated eq shifts are your thing. In the past I managed to have the screen settings for toggling eq perma on, if u look at my vid here u will get my drift; https://youtu.be/8Ox6wRNigMc?t=3m34s

I wonder with the M2 and PD, with the insane battery life, and more button arrays, perhaps it's possible to essentially leave the screen always on and be able to toggle the EQ choice at any time (not necessarily using the touch screen interface but the actual physical buttons in a similar way to the video above).

I listen to music 5-6hrs non stop, I'm pretty sure the 90-100hr battery life of the M2/PD can handle this even if the screen is left on...

Hmm... I wonder... does the M2 and PD essentially also have a 'dedicated' eq button of sorts using the above method? With my i9+ it was kinda fiddly but perhaps it's a better user experience with the M2/PD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back