Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #587 of 3,200
Lol, I was discussing mp3 players with my friends today. When I showed my J3 they all agreed that while the UI sucked it was a quite good ipod touch imitation :'). "The screen is almost as beautifull as the screen of the ipod touch!!"

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #588 of 3,200
Wow. Smile and back away from them - slowly. And refuse any offers of Kool-aid. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Lol, I was discussing mp3 players with my friends today. When I showed my J3 they all agreed that while the UI sucked it was a quite good ipod touch imitation :'). "The screen is almost as beautifull as the screen of the ipod touch!!"

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #589 of 3,200
Quote:
Ynoskire said:

Quote:
Wow. Smile and back away from them - slowly. And refuse any offers of Kool-aid. 
wink_face.gif

Heh, I agree. Seems that kool aid they been drinking packs a punch!!! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 10, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #590 of 3,200
Well I can't blaim them really, 95% of the world still thinks Ipods are mp3 walhalla and surpass any other mp3 player simply because everybody owns them. Just to add some impressions, the viva setting opens up my ety's mostly in terms of soundstage. It's great.

Sep 10, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #591 of 3,200
I personally ONLY have 1 real complaint about ANY iPod, and it's the lack of a custom EQ. Otherwise I love the classic and the touch, and my Nano w/camera is good for working out. The SQ is good, just not Cowon good.

Sep 10, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #592 of 3,200
My only real compliant is the bass but fiddling a bit with the EQ makes most of it a non issue. Unfortunately I went to the B&H website and there's a holiday so I'll try to get it exchanged on Sunday if I have time but probably on Monday.

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #593 of 3,200
Good luck, man. Let us know how it goes. That screen BS is a little scary.

Quote:
My only real compliant is the bass but fiddling a bit with the EQ makes most of it a non issue. Unfortunately I went to the B&H website and there's a holiday so I'll try to get it exchanged on Sunday if I have time but probably on Monday.

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #594 of 3,200
Oh I definitely will. I was a bit worried about this before i bought it but I guess I got unlucky. I've seen this on other forums as well unfortunately. I hope Cowon fixes this issue and it really shouldn't happen on a player such as this one. Build quality should be good when you buy a $200-$300 dap and even more expensive outside of the USA although Korea is probably cheaper I'm guessing. I can still play fine and everything and if I had a silicone cover I probably wouldn't have known but I haven't gotten around to that. The only annoyance is putting the files back on the new dap when I get it exchanged. I still like Cowon however since the battery life is really unrivaled among other daps

Sep 10, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #595 of 3,200

Quote:
Did you try to recover your bricked J3 with TCCtool? It should work just fine.

Hi dfkt. I didn't know about TCCtool the first time I had the J3 or I would have tried it. I read about it much later.

Quote:
dfkt said:

As for file sorting, you have to start the file names with 01, 02, 03 - that way they are displayed in order. Having 01, 02, 03 in the ID3 tag track field is necessary for ID3 browsing, too - if you use something like 1/10, 2/10 for track tag, it doesn't work.

See, that's the strange thing. I read about the track order workaround on abi
smile_phones.gif
... so I switched to MTP mode, transferred the tracks again as they were, 1, 2, 3... and they displayed in order. A few days later, after disconnecting it (safely!), my album art was all messed up and my track numbers out of order again, and I was still in MTP mode, nothing had changed. I was very very
confused_face.gif
- and a little
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
angry_face.gif
!!

And I forgot to mention that the overnight battery drainage always happened while it was in standby. I think I'll wait for the X7 and give that a try. Ooh, and I actually managed to set up a nice custom EQ, even though I didn't know what the hell I was doing!! Wide and Narrow? Excuse me?? But still, I got it to sound pretty nice!

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #596 of 3,200
If anyone is interested, I have a 32gig micro sd card in the for sale forum.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/511887/fs-sandisk-32gb-micro-sd-memory-card#post_6918613

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #598 of 3,200
Hey guys, I've been scouting for a new PMP to complement my new HD-25s and so far I've had my heart set on these Cowons,

BUT

The one thing that's concerned me somewhat is this whole EQ customisation. Do you really have to extensively play around with these settings to get the player sounding great? I mean I'm not the biggest audiophile out there, but again my music is sourced at least to 320kbs with half being flac files so I do appreciate a better sound, however I don't particularly like the idea of fiddling too much with EQ settings and such.

So I guess what I'm asking is

1) Does the J3 sound great in stock settings? (compared to say the Apples, Samsungs, Clips etc)

2) If not, does it really take that much fiddling from a semi-audiophile such as myself to get the sound that I want?

Appreciate whatever advice I'm given.

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #599 of 3,200

Quote:
So I guess what I'm asking is  
1) Does the J3 sound great in stock settings? (compared to say the Apples, Samsungs, Clips etc)

2) If not, does it really take that much fiddling from a semi-audiophile such as myself to get the sound that I want?

Appreciate whatever advice I'm given.

1) I'd say at least 95% of owners use EQ on Cowon players. I listened to the S9 and J3 with no EQ, and they weren't very exciting compared with my Sony daps on a flat setting.

2) It can be as easy or as complicated as you like. I'm not a tweaker at all, but just adding BBE improves the soundstage a lot. It also has a ton of presets, but most of them sounded pretty awful to me, especially the 'vocals' and 'crystal clear'.

Although there are almost infinite EQ possibilites, you don't need to get bogged down in them. Try the BBE settings first, and go from there. You'll probably find that just a little tweaking will give you a much better sound than on flat.

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #600 of 3,200

Quote:

The one thing that's concerned me somewhat is this whole EQ customisation. Do you really have to extensively play around with these settings to get the player sounding great? I mean I'm not the biggest audiophile out there, but again my music is sourced at least to 320kbs with half being flac files so I do appreciate a better sound, however I don't particularly like the idea of fiddling too much with EQ settings and such.

"Purists" would actually stay away from EQs, but the more pragmatic appreciate where the EQ is needed. Like I don't have one in my stereo system, don't use the one in the PC, but given how my car's dashboard sucks, I went for a Pioneer DEH-860MP with all the tuning gizmos like digital EQ, network crossover and time alignment, over used Denon or Nakamichi that I could get for cheaper and are actually more reliable. Now that sliding face on the car stereo is an absolute pain in the arse and the D/A conversion and custom installation is good enough I actually could do without all the gizmos. BUT I'd still pick this over the Nak or Denon. Why? I'd never know when I'd need those tuning options. Like if I get a new car, fabricating fiberglass installations don't happen overnight, you have to choose how to angle each speaker before you actually tear stuff apart and do the fabrication. I once drove for 6 months with the tweeters blutacked all over the dash and kick panel. See how going "insane" reading threads on Head-Fi still pales in comparison to what people in DIYMA are going through? How about a GF who one day says the car looks ugly (but can't wquite point her finger as to why) then suddenly is wowed by a Vifa home audio tweeter fiberglassed onto the A-Pillars.

Still, you don't need to fiddle with the EQ as much. That Cowon isn't anything like having different cars with the same speakers installed in different ways and competing in pro-level sound quality competitions. Meaning people actually post their EQ settings online and all you have to do is follow these and see what you like best with your ear/headphones. Who knows, you might even like the flat stock sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back