Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #571 of 3,200
The only thing that is sort of annoying at the moment are those huge intervals in the battery meter. I would have preferred to have the 1% intervals (so 1,2,3...98,99,100%)  that my phone has, it's just a little more comforting somehow.

Sep 5, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #572 of 3,200
I haven't had any issues with the clock or the memory feature. The clock works and is accurate and the available memory is correct for my J3. I'm on 2.22 but I updated right after I bought mine.

Also the battery meter would be nice if it had something like an estimated time until battery is fully discharged like rockbox but not too much to complain about. Lower intervals would be nice but I don't mind it really.

I've used it since I got it with just one full charge and then some updating songs here and there but nothing longer than 10 minutes or so and the meter just went down to 75%. I don't think these will go anywhere and I'll definitely get a screen protector since the fingerprints and smudges annoy me. I'll think about the silicone case I was looking at but I don't think these need one. I'll be getting a 16gb microsdhc so I can get a bit more memory than just 8gb.

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #573 of 3,200
anyone using it with an impedance adapter? seems pretty mandatory on these not for the hiss (though it would help if there is any), but because it fixes the rolled off bass.

Sep 5, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #574 of 3,200
Considering I don't have an adapter no :) Although right now I've been using a bass heavy earphone so no issues really. I haven't tried my Zero since I use that with my clip+. I also do not like adding unnecessary things to my portable since I much prefer dap to earphones although I can deal with an adapter for my clip+

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #575 of 3,200
well even with the a bass heavy phone the bass will still roll off in the subbass unless the iem has a high ohm impedance. I heard that at least 54 ohms is necessary for the cowons, dfkt has more info on this.

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #576 of 3,200
I'm mostly using the J3 with 17 Ohm Earsonics SM3 and 16 Ohm Senn IE8, I'm not really missing anything compared to ruler-flat sources. With 16 Ohm, response is down -2.3dB at 50Hz, so any ~32 Ohm phone should already be indistinguishable in an AB test vs. a flat source (down -2.5dB at 30Hz). Of course for regular use I also use M3B and the other doo-dads found in the EQ/BBE section. :)

Not sure I posted the RMAA results before: http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Comparisons/Cowon%20J3%20Loads%20vs%20Clip%2B.htm

Sep 6, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #577 of 3,200
DFKT, what does that means in terms of EQ for my JH16s? I started of with all the EQ trimmings, but have gradually moved towards 'normal' EQ, despite the fact I found it a bit flat and muffled when I first got the J3 (using Shure E500s).

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #578 of 3,200
So unfortunately my J3 seems to suffer from the elevated screen on the bottom right. I'm not sure if I want to keep it or just get a refund. It does bother me a bit since I haven't gotten a silicone case yet.

Sep 9, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #580 of 3,200
How apparent are the problems with the J3? I'm really on the fence on picking up either a J3 or possibly an iMod. But I'm really hesitant on the J3 because of the problems people seem to be having.

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #582 of 3,200
I think it seems to be a common issue but I'll trade it in tomorrow and see what happens. It seems to be a tape issue however so it's not a big deal. If it gets bad I'll just open it up and use something better.

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #584 of 3,200
Ah. I thought it was pretty common but I guess I got a lemon. I'll go to the store tomorrow anyway for an exchange since I only got it a week ago and hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back