Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Dec 7, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #3,196 of 3,200
Hi folks! After having the J3 live rent-free in my mind for a decade, I finally got one thanks to a friend. It’s in excellent condition with a screen protector and leather folio case.

Could someone point me to where the custom themes are online? I found some for the X7 but haven’t found the right ones for the J3. Happy to finally have one and join the family 😊
Did you ever find the custom themes? I should have copies of the Sense/Leaf/etc themes by Kizune (if I remember that name correctly…) but I’ll have to look.

Dec 7, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #3,197 of 3,200
Did you ever find the custom themes? I should have copies of the Sense/Leaf/etc themes by Kizune (if I remember that name correctly…) but I’ll have to look.
Hi! I could not, I have one diagonal slanted theme (Kizune, I believe?) but it’s the only one other than 2x stock themes. If you can find them and share, I’d really appreciate it!

Feb 6, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #3,198 of 3,200
hey, I know this is years down the line but saw some ppl might still be active on this.

I used to have a Cowon J3 and would like to get another one that works but they becoming a bit rare.. not impossible to get but tricky

Is there something else that most people "upgraded" to? I saw someone mention the Plenue J but I don't know much about any other players other than the J3 that sadly went flying out of my pocket while driving a motorbike and got smashed.

I was happy with the quality of music, battery etc. already have extra phones i could use but .. they just not the same

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #3,199 of 3,200
I really enjoyed the Plenue R2 when I had it. It has good battery life for a high-res player at around 20 hours, but it's a far cry from the J3 in that regard. Honestly the Plenue D is probably the best option if you can find a good one. It has insane battery life and I thought its screen/scrolling/UI was decent. Probably not quite as good as the J3 but certainly okay. I think the Plenue D2 and D3 are even more rare than the J3. I don't think I've ever seen a used Plenue D3 on ebay for example. I think the main difference is that they have a 2.5mm balanced jack and the D3 has a volume knob. I had a Plenue J briefly years ago, and it was fine. I honestly don't remember much about it at all. lol.
I would recommend a Hiby player though. I recently bought a Hiby R5 II and I really like it. It has easily the best battery life of any high-res player I know of at around 35 hours, and the MSEB DSPs are pretty good and a good alternative to the Cowon BBE settings. The only problem with the R5 is that it is huge and chunky. It is very well-built though so for me it's not really a deal-breaker.

Feb 27, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #3,200 of 3,200
I rescue this thread to highlight that the Cowon J3 is still my one and only portable player after more than 10 years (I've just had to replace the battery one time).

It sounds glorious with the Moondrop CHU :ksc75smile: and it can perfectly drive the Audeze LCD-2 :o2smile:

Cowon J3.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back